2008-09-03 02:53:43

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: at76_usb.[ch] gone fishing from wireless-testing ?

A few times now I've git-fetch'd origin and noticed at76_usb.[ch]
missing on origin/master. Strange, wondering if you're aware of any
such type of issues or its just me.

Luis

2008-09-03 15:25:15

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Re: at76_usb.[ch] gone fishing from wireless-testing ?

John W. Linville <[email protected]> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:34:03PM +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> John W. Linville <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > Anyone want to talk me out of pulling-in the at76 parts?
>>
>> Sorry, I don't quite understand what pulling-in means here.
>
> I just mean making sure it is (and continues to be) in
> wireless-testing's master branch.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

>> But personally I don't mind, choose which one is best in your opinion.
>> If you drop it, I can always resubmit it when it's properly working.
>
> Leaving it in has encouraged people to keep it up-to-date (or at least
> compiling) across mac80211 driver API changes. Whether or not this
> has been worthwhile is, of course, debatable.

>From my perspective it has been worthwhile, but at the same time I
realise how much work it means for you. And as I know how busy you are
I really would not want to cause you any extra work.

> P.S. For the record, I _would_ like to see a working at76 driver
> make it upstream at some point.

Me too. Fortunately starting from September I will have some free time
(yay!) and I can start working with at76 again.

--
Kalle Valo

2008-09-03 13:00:29

by John W. Linville

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 08:03:32PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> A few times now I've git-fetch'd origin and noticed at76_usb.[ch]
> >> missing on origin/master. Strange, wondering if you're aware of any
> >> such type of issues or its just me.
> >
> > Good point, I don't see it either. But at76_usb is quite broken
> > currently, so maybe John decided just to drop it? Good choice, at
> > least for now.
> >
> > And it's not just that, also -wl suffix is missing from the version.
> >
> > My HEAD is currently:
> >
> > commit 18c8adeb0244f823ba78a51e23f813fe68bc3c54
> > Author: Michael Buesch <[email protected]>
> > Date: Thu Aug 28 19:33:40 2008 +0200
> >
> > b43: Rewrite TX power adjustment
>
> I'm at:
>
> commit 908dd0b965e64fcc2eb64152bac65f2876c34e0b
> Author: Senthil Balasubramanian <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon Sep 1 19:58:20 2008 +0530
> ath9: Fix ath_rx_flush_tid() for IRQs disabled kernel warning message.
>
> Reason I find it strange is on one box it went through and I still see
> history for it, and in another I don't. I was going to do a fresh pull
> to test but figure I rather ask as bandwidth is crummy at work.

Crap, I botched my lastest update. I'll pull in the part that adds
-wl to the version for sure. Anyone want to talk me out of pulling-in
the at76 parts?

John
--
John W. Linville

by Jouni Malinen

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 09:38:03AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 04:24:48PM +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > I don't see -wl in EXTRAVERSION in kernel.org version (1) or my own
> > clone. Both are at commit 908dd0b965e64fcc2eb64152bac65f2876c34e0b. I
> > noticed this disappearing at one of the updates since I had to add a
> > local patch to be able to update my modules without rebooting..

> The -wl comes from localversion-wireless in the kernel's root
> directory. Has something changed recently to break that mechanism?

Interesting.. I tried it now and it does indeed work, i.e., I get -wl
from localversion-wireless. I have no idea what happened earlier, but
'make modules; sudo make modules_install' ended up installing modules
into 2.6.27-rc4, not 2.6.27-rc4-wl after one of the git tree updates. I
did not look at details at that point and just added -wl to Makefile
EXTRAVERSION. Anyway, it is not needed anymore.

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA

2008-09-03 15:00:30

by John W. Linville

Author: Senthil Balasubramanian <[email protected]>
Date: Mon Sep 1 19:58:20 2008 +0530
ath9: Fix ath_rx_flush_tid() for IRQs disabled kernel warning message.

Reason I find it strange is on one box it went through and I still see
history for it, and in another I don't. I was going to do a fresh pull
to test but figure I rather ask as bandwidth is crummy at work.

Luis

2008-09-03 13:26:00

by Jouni Malinen

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 09:04:40AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:53:52AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > Crap, I botched my lastest update. I'll pull in the part that adds
> > -wl to the version for sure. Anyone want to talk me out of pulling-in
> > the at76 parts?
>
> Hmmm...upon further review, both my local copy and the one at
> kernel.org seem to have the proper bits AFAICT...?

I don't see -wl in EXTRAVERSION in kernel.org version (1) or my own
clone. Both are at commit 908dd0b965e64fcc2eb64152bac65f2876c34e0b. I
noticed this disappearing at one of the updates since I had to add a
local patch to be able to update my modules without rebooting..

(1)
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git;a=blob_plain;f=Makefile;hb=908dd0b965e64fcc2eb64152bac65f2876c34e0b

However, at76_usb.[ch] seems to be present in both..

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA

2008-09-03 02:59:58

by Kalle Valo