2010-01-28 21:38:47

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Linux wireless GSoC 2010 project ideas

Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
[1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
Perhaps the student can elaborate more.

The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
excited students we saw no progress at all.

If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
applications on March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
[2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
[3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010

Luis

2010-01-31 21:03:28

by Witold Sowa

Subject: Re: Linux wireless GSoC 2010 project ideas

Luis R. Rodriguez pisze:
> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.

Hi Luis,

I didn't know that I was _the_only_one_ student who completed his
project. My project goal was to add support for AP mode to
NetworkManages with use of wpa_supplicant's newly developed AP mode.
When the GSoC started, it turned out that adding AP mode to NM doesn't
need too much effort or at least a lot less that I could put during
three months of work. As the result, I focused on development of new
DBus API for wpa_supplicant. We have designed it together with Dan
Williams (he designed it with my little help, actually) and I
implemented it. The new API is present in wpa_supplicant since 0.7.0
development version and we are still working on it.
I've implemented the new API support for NetworkManager, but Dan didn't
apply it (yet). Since the API has changed lately, we will need alter
NetworkManager too. I'm going to do this when the API will reach more or
less stable state. AP mode for NetworkManager is dependent on new
wpa_supplicnt DBus API, so the NM AP mode patches won't be applied
before the new API support implementation patches. The NM changes won't
land earlier then in 0.8.1 version for sure.

Some time ago johill asked me if I would be interested in hacking on
adding WPS support to NetworkManager. Well, I would but I don't know
when I'll find some time for that. I don't know how much of work would
it require, but it possibly could be a topic of one of GSoC 2010
projects. I have no idea know if anybody would be willing to be a mentor
for such a project.

Regards,
Witek.

2010-01-28 23:15:50

by Frederic Weisbecker

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:38:27PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.
>
> The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
> year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
> idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
> projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
> but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
> does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
> acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
> it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
> have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
> help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
> scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
> might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
> excited students we saw no progress at all.
>
> If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
> should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
> February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
> February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
> Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
> applications on March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
> before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
> to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
> [3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010

I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
in the wider scope of the entire kernel.

I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
summer so I start to think about applying.

Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in a wireless project :)
but there are many other areas that could host a Gsoc project too
and I don't want to miss the whole variety of proposals.

I guess we also can, as applying students, propose subjects too.
Provided we find a mentor for the given project, which makes the
things harder in this direction I fear.

Anyway, what would be the right place to submit such proposals? I
have various ideas in mind, in topics such as tracing/profiling,
realtime, among other things... (could be: "Do as much bkl bashing
as you can in two months, have fun, be brave...").

Thanks.

2010-01-28 23:23:38

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
> I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
> in the wider scope of the entire kernel.
>
> I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
> summer so I start to think about applying.
>
> Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?

These would be under the Linux Foundation umbrella, the wireless stuff
I just posted is just for wireless. I do not believe we have a common
forum yet for general linux stuff. Till?

> That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in a wireless project :)
> but there are many other areas that could host a Gsoc project too
> and I don't want to miss the whole variety of proposals.

The LF projects will be posted on the LF site.

> I guess we also can, as applying students, propose subjects too.
> Provided we find a mentor for the given project, which makes the
> things harder in this direction I fear.

I don't see why not.

> Anyway, what would be the right place to submit such proposals? I
> have various ideas in mind, in topics such as tracing/profiling,
> realtime, among other things... (could be: "Do as much bkl bashing
> as you can in two months, have fun, be brave...").

I'll let Till answer :D

Luis

2010-01-28 22:06:50

by Till Kamppeter

Great to hear from you.

I will apply again for the LF entering as a mentoring organization and I
will add your projects to the list of proposed projects for the LF
application.

Till

P. S.: Do you know someone with knowledge in data compression? I will
run a project at OpenPrinting which is about data compression.

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.
>
> The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
> year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
> idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
> projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
> but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
> does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
> acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
> it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
> have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
> help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
> scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
> might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
> excited students we saw no progress at all.
>
> If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
> should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
> February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
> February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
> Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
> applications on March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
> before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
> to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
> [3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010
>
> Luis

2010-01-28 23:41:45

by Frederic Weisbecker

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:31:50PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:23:15PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
> > > I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
> > > in the wider scope of the entire kernel.
> > >
> > > I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
> > > summer so I start to think about applying.
> > >
> > > Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
> >
> > These would be under the Linux Foundation umbrella, the wireless stuff
> > I just posted is just for wireless. I do not believe we have a common
> > forum yet for general linux stuff. Till?
>
> Traditionally, PSU (Portland State University) handles a number of Linux
> kernel related projects for GSoC due to the Linux kernel developers who
> are mentors for them, and the faculty who are very clued into the kernel
> and x.org and general open source development.
>
> Also, the way that PSU handles the projects, is it relies on the
> students to propose the projects, not the other way around. Due to
> that, the success rate is very high as people do not generally propose
> things that they do not have some kind of interest in :)
>
> So if you have a kernel related project you wish to do, feel free to
> submit it to the PSU group.
>
> thanks,

Ah, good to know. Noted, thanks!

2010-01-28 23:32:58

by Greg KH

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:23:15PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
> > I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
> > in the wider scope of the entire kernel.
> >
> > I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
> > summer so I start to think about applying.
> >
> > Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
>
> These would be under the Linux Foundation umbrella, the wireless stuff
> I just posted is just for wireless. I do not believe we have a common
> forum yet for general linux stuff. Till?

Traditionally, PSU (Portland State University) handles a number of Linux
kernel related projects for GSoC due to the Linux kernel developers who
are mentors for them, and the faculty who are very clued into the kernel
and x.org and general open source development.

Also, the way that PSU handles the projects, is it relies on the
students to propose the projects, not the other way around. Due to
that, the success rate is very high as people do not generally propose
things that they do not have some kind of interest in :)

So if you have a kernel related project you wish to do, feel free to
submit it to the PSU group.

thanks,

greg k-h

p.s. I've been a mentor for the PSU GSoC group for many years now.

2010-01-28 23:52:06

by Till Kamppeter

No problem for students to suggest topics. We are not restricted to
wireless in terms of kernel. We support kernel projects in general.

Please give your suggestion as answer to this e-mail, doing "Reply to
all", as I am not a kernel export, the other participants of this thread
should have a look at the student's project ideas and help finding mentors.

Till

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic. But as I see this announce,
>> I'm wondering about the topics for the google summer of code
>> in the wider scope of the entire kernel.
>>
>> I'm a student and there are fair chances I'll be free for this
>> summer so I start to think about applying.
>>
>> Are there currently some plans concerning other kernel areas?
>
> These would be under the Linux Foundation umbrella, the wireless stuff
> I just posted is just for wireless. I do not believe we have a common
> forum yet for general linux stuff. Till?
>
>> That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in a wireless project :)
>> but there are many other areas that could host a Gsoc project too
>> and I don't want to miss the whole variety of proposals.
>
> The LF projects will be posted on the LF site.
>
>> I guess we also can, as applying students, propose subjects too.
>> Provided we find a mentor for the given project, which makes the
>> things harder in this direction I fear.
>
> I don't see why not.
>
>> Anyway, what would be the right place to submit such proposals? I
>> have various ideas in mind, in topics such as tracing/profiling,
>> realtime, among other things... (could be: "Do as much bkl bashing
>> as you can in two months, have fun, be brave...").
>
> I'll let Till answer :D
>
> Luis

2010-01-31 21:20:58

by Johannes Berg

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 22:03 +0100, Witold Sowa wrote:

> Some time ago johill asked me if I would be interested in hacking on
> adding WPS support to NetworkManager. Well, I would but I don't know
> when I'll find some time for that. I don't know how much of work would
> it require, but it possibly could be a topic of one of GSoC 2010
> projects. I have no idea know if anybody would be willing to be a mentor
> for such a project.

Sounds like a good project to me, but I don't think I'd be a good mentor
for since I'm not familiar with the NM codebase at all. As for how much
work it would require, I think the basic client-side functionality could
possibly be "too simple" for you, WPS has a lot of additional
functionality (e.g. WPS support for the AP side).

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (801.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2010-01-28 22:15:12

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Till Kamppeter
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Great to hear from you.
>
> I will apply again for the LF entering as a mentoring organization and I
> will add your projects to the list of proposed projects for the LF
> application.

Great thanks Till, the old projects are still with the old data so
they have the old 2009 mentors. Hopefully the old mentors would still
be up to mentor the same projects this year, we'll see. I at least can
mentor the testing/GeoClue stuff but one thing is certain, the GeoClue
stuff will *definitely* need a primary really active GNOME mentor. I'm
not sure if we should just punt this off to GNOME completely or what.

>   Till
>
> P. S.: Do you know someone with knowledge in data compression? I will run a
> project at OpenPrinting which is about data compression.

Nope sorry.

Luis

2010-02-22 21:26:13

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.
>
> The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
> year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
> idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
> projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
> but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
> does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
> acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
> it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
> have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
> help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
> scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
> might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
> excited students we saw no progress at all.
>
> If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
> should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
> February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
> February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
> Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
> applications on  March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
> before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
> to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
> [3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010

Its the end of February, so we need to finalize the GSoC projects. I'm
only up to mentor the automation of testing, with a reduced scope of
using just having something register to nl80211 events and have a set
of tests cases run. Orbit testing and integration is completely
optional.

If anyone cares to mentor any of the other projects please let me know
as otherwise we just have one project on the 802.11 front.

Luis

2010-02-03 14:25:03

by Pat Erley

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:25:04 +0100, Holger Schurig
<[email protected]>
wrote:
>> With ath9k I have used:
>>
>> AP + MP
>> AP + STA
>> AP + AP (Open and WPA2)
>
> Would you document this on the wireless WIKI at
> wireless.kernel.org ?
>
> Maybe as different articles, so that this can be a basis of
> several "HOWTO" articles.

Yeah, I will try to find the time soon. Any hints as to what needs to be
documented? It is, at least in my opinion, pretty trivial to pull off, so
I'm not certain that anything more than an entry explaining how to create
additional interfaces is necessary. Feel free to throw some ideas as to
what all you'd like to see in the documentation, and I'll write it (them?)

up.

Pat

2010-02-04 22:36:18

by Pat Erley

On 02/04/10 03:32, Kalle Valo wrote:
> <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> Would you document this on the wireless WIKI at
>>> wireless.kernel.org ?
>>>
>>> Maybe as different articles, so that this can be a basis of
>>> several "HOWTO" articles.
>>
>> Yeah, I will try to find the time soon. Any hints as to what needs to be
>> documented? It is, at least in my opinion, pretty trivial to pull off, so
>> I'm not certain that anything more than an entry explaining how to create
>> additional interfaces is necessary. Feel free to throw some ideas as to
>> what all you'd like to see in the documentation, and I'll write it (them?)
>
> Based on my experiences helping not-so-skilled people:
>
> o even trivial issues need to be documented, assume that the reader
> knows nothing
>
> o examples are best, also try explain in detail what the example
> actually does
>
> o make sure examples really work and are correct :)
>
> o pointers for more information (if there are any)
>
> Just my 0.02 EUR.

ok, I'll see what I can come up with. It's all pretty simple, but you're
right, there's not a lot of documentation about it out there.

Pat

2010-02-01 18:01:38

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Johannes Berg
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 22:03 +0100, Witold Sowa wrote:
>
>> Some time ago johill asked me if I would be interested in hacking on
>> adding WPS support to NetworkManager. Well, I would but I don't know
>> when I'll find some time for that. I don't know how much of work would
>> it require, but it possibly could be a topic of one of GSoC 2010
>> projects. I have no idea know if anybody would be willing to be a mentor
>> for such a project.
>
> Sounds like a good project to me, but I don't think I'd be a good mentor
> for since I'm not familiar with the NM codebase at all. As for how much
> work it would require, I think the basic client-side functionality could
> possibly be "too simple" for you, WPS has a lot of additional
> functionality (e.g. WPS support for the AP side).

In case it helps, I believe all that would be required is the dbus
stuff, there are sample GUI examples of this already provided through
the wpa_supplicant wpa_gui.

Luis

2010-02-03 18:49:20

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:25:04 +0100, Holger Schurig
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>> With ath9k I have used:
>>>
>>> AP + MP
>>> AP + STA
>>> AP + AP (Open and WPA2)
>>
>> Would you document this on the wireless WIKI at
>> wireless.kernel.org ?
>>
>> Maybe as different articles, so that this can be a basis of
>> several "HOWTO" articles.
>
> Yeah, I will try to find the time soon.  Any hints as to what needs to be
> documented?  It is, at least in my opinion, pretty trivial to pull off, so
> I'm not certain that anything more than an entry explaining how to create
> additional interfaces is necessary.  Feel free to throw some ideas as to
> what all you'd like to see in the documentation, and I'll write it (them?)

The ath9k virtual wiphy stuff is private to ath9k so for that you can
add it here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/debug#wiphy

For things that are specific to mac80211 that do not require the ath9k
virtual wiphy something on the root of this page might be better:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation

If ath9k virtual wiphy is quite useful today we would have to ensure
any possible replacement would meet up to match its capabilities. I
was unaware anyone was yet using it and testing it extensively. Have
you been doing these tests on the virtual wiphy with a fairly recent
snapshot?

Luis

2010-02-05 05:16:11

by Pat Erley

On 02/03/10 13:48, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:25:04 +0100, Holger Schurig
>> <[email protected]>

>>> Would you document this on the wireless WIKI at
>>> wireless.kernel.org ?
>>>
>>> Maybe as different articles, so that this can be a basis of
>>> several "HOWTO" articles.
>>
>> Yeah, I will try to find the time soon. Any hints as to what needs to be
>> documented? It is, at least in my opinion, pretty trivial to pull off, so
>> I'm not certain that anything more than an entry explaining how to create
>> additional interfaces is necessary. Feel free to throw some ideas as to
>> what all you'd like to see in the documentation, and I'll write it (them?)
>
> The ath9k virtual wiphy stuff is private to ath9k so for that you can
> add it here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/debug#wiphy
>
> For things that are specific to mac80211 that do not require the ath9k
> virtual wiphy something on the root of this page might be better:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation
>
> If ath9k virtual wiphy is quite useful today we would have to ensure
> any possible replacement would meet up to match its capabilities. I
> was unaware anyone was yet using it and testing it extensively. Have
> you been doing these tests on the virtual wiphy with a fairly recent
> snapshot?

I tinker with the mac80211 interface to it a lot (a project on my d-link dir-615). I'm doing a pseudo wds setup or client/AP setup, whatever you'd call that - essentially, a range extender. I have some other hardware that I tinker with multiple APs using hostapd, as well as MP+AP for fun. All the systems are wired together, so it's not a big deal for me if I break things, hence all the tinkering.

As far as snapshots, I am using a lightly modded compat-wireless+compat from git that works with wireless-testing. I update every 2-3 days. Before mac80211 supported multiple vifs, I was testing with the ath9k interface exclusively.

Do you guys think the content would be better placed onto the iw page, or onto a separate one? I don't think there's enough content (yet?) unless i make it an all inclusive set of pages that explain the use of all of the modes, and whatnot. I'd only planned on tackling the creation and configuration of the wireless side of things, leaving the IP steps out, because it seems like that's outside the 'scope' of the wireless wiki?

Pat

2010-02-04 04:52:37

by Hin-Tak Leung

On 1/28/10, Till Kamppeter <[email protected]> wrote:
> Great to hear from you.
>
> I will apply again for the LF entering as a mentoring organization and I
> will add your projects to the list of proposed projects for the LF
> application.

Perhaps at this point, it might be a good idea to share some insights
for reasons of failures/non-competition. I think the first year (2008)
of LF's participation, it was 6/8 competion over all? How did 2009 do?
Luis mentioned that 2/3 failed out of the 3 wireless-related project,
but AFAIK there were about 10 accepted in 2009 under the LF umbrella -
what's the completion rate for the other 7? It is probably a good idea
to write some of that up (non-competition and the possibility of
re-do) in one of Linux Foundation's wiki pages.

AFAIK the overall non-competition rate across all organization is
about 10% so the 2/8 in 2008 wasn't too bad.

> P. S.: Do you know someone with knowledge in data compression? I will
> run a project at OpenPrinting which is about data compression.

What are you thinking of? :-)

Hin-Tak

2010-02-01 21:31:59

by Maxim Levitsky

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 12:17 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 10:01 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> >> In case it helps, I believe all that would be required is the dbus
> >> stuff, there are sample GUI examples of this already provided through
> >> the wpa_supplicant wpa_gui.
> >
> > Here are couple of ideas (I don't think I will enter the program
> > though):
> >
> > 1 - Make Ad-Hoc WPA networks work (with NM). This would involve changes
> > in kernel, but I don't think will involve changes in hardware drivers.
> >
> > 2 - Allow a wireless card to associate to several APs at once (if they
> > share the frequency).
> > Implement this at least for ath5/9k. Madwifi had that feature. Maybe
> > ath9k has. If it has that feature, test it.
> > Implement proper GUI support in NM for that.
>
> why would you want to do this?
To create a wireless router.
However, yes, I probably meant an access point and wireless client at
same time.

> > 3 - Create wardriving^Wwireless analysis tool.
> > No, not for wardriving. I mean an application that shows and analyzes
> > nicely the signal strength of nearby APs, and other features of it
>
> it seems to me that kismet provides exactly this capability, what is it
> missing?
Didn't use this tool.
Also, like I said, this should be a analysis, and not wardriving/hacking
tool.
And with GUI.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

2010-02-04 08:32:35

by Kalle Valo

--
Kalle Valo

2010-02-03 09:26:32

by Holger Schurig

> With ath9k I have used:
>
> AP + MP
> AP + STA
> AP + AP (Open and WPA2)

Would you document this on the wireless WIKI at
wireless.kernel.org ?

Maybe as different articles, so that this can be a basis of
several "HOWTO" articles.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de

2010-02-01 20:14:49

by Maxim Levitsky

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 10:01 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Johannes Berg
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 22:03 +0100, Witold Sowa wrote:
> >
> >> Some time ago johill asked me if I would be interested in hacking on
> >> adding WPS support to NetworkManager. Well, I would but I don't know
> >> when I'll find some time for that. I don't know how much of work would
> >> it require, but it possibly could be a topic of one of GSoC 2010
> >> projects. I have no idea know if anybody would be willing to be a mentor
> >> for such a project.
> >
> > Sounds like a good project to me, but I don't think I'd be a good mentor
> > for since I'm not familiar with the NM codebase at all. As for how much
> > work it would require, I think the basic client-side functionality could
> > possibly be "too simple" for you, WPS has a lot of additional
> > functionality (e.g. WPS support for the AP side).
>
> In case it helps, I believe all that would be required is the dbus
> stuff, there are sample GUI examples of this already provided through
> the wpa_supplicant wpa_gui.

Here are couple of ideas (I don't think I will enter the program
though):

1 - Make Ad-Hoc WPA networks work (with NM). This would involve changes
in kernel, but I don't think will involve changes in hardware drivers.

2 - Allow a wireless card to associate to several APs at once (if they
share the frequency).
Implement this at least for ath5/9k. Madwifi had that feature. Maybe
ath9k has. If it has that feature, test it.
Implement proper GUI support in NM for that.

3 - Create wardriving^Wwireless analysis tool.
No, not for wardriving. I mean an application that shows and analyzes
nicely the signal strength of nearby APs, and other features of it

airodump-ng does have some features, but it is focused too much on
cracking that on analysis.
For example it slows to an crawl, when I attempt to do iperf and monitor
huge traffic that is sent.

It could see how many packets are dropped, how many resends were done,
have proper ESSID filter, so it can be used in large scale networks
(I once tried to understand locations of wifi access points in my uni,
so I know where to get proper wifi connection.)

A lot more can be extracted from monitor mode.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

2010-02-03 09:25:01

by Holger Schurig

> Also, like I said, this should be a analysis, and not
> wardriving/hacking tool.
> And with GUI.

Please define "analysis". What exactly should be analyzed?

Kismet can do:
* construct list of all beaconing APs and IBSS devices
* associate SSID to beacons because of assoc/auth req/resp
* construct a list of all stations around
* show used protection schema
* get simple packet statistics
* get simple signal level figures
* ...

But "analysis" can obviously be much more.

Some of the analysis should also be done on driver level, e.g.
extend the nl80211-site-survey into mac80211 and add noise
reporting to some drivers (I have something preliminary for
ath5k). But also extend it to give channel occupation
statistics.

And for a GUI, you could run kismet-server in the background and
write a GUI (e.g. in Qt, so that it runs on X11/Mac/Win).

If the required analysis isn't easily put into kismet, you can of
course write a new application if you please so :-) I for
example wrote a simple Qt application that has 25% of kismet's
capability, but with a GUI. Unfortunately still Qt3.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de

2010-02-01 20:18:26

by David Lang

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 10:01 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Johannes Berg
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Sounds like a good project to me, but I don't think I'd be a good mentor
>>> for since I'm not familiar with the NM codebase at all. As for how much
>>> work it would require, I think the basic client-side functionality could
>>> possibly be "too simple" for you, WPS has a lot of additional
>>> functionality (e.g. WPS support for the AP side).
>>
>> In case it helps, I believe all that would be required is the dbus
>> stuff, there are sample GUI examples of this already provided through
>> the wpa_supplicant wpa_gui.
>
> Here are couple of ideas (I don't think I will enter the program
> though):
>
> 1 - Make Ad-Hoc WPA networks work (with NM). This would involve changes
> in kernel, but I don't think will involve changes in hardware drivers.
>
> 2 - Allow a wireless card to associate to several APs at once (if they
> share the frequency).
> Implement this at least for ath5/9k. Madwifi had that feature. Maybe
> ath9k has. If it has that feature, test it.
> Implement proper GUI support in NM for that.

why would you want to do this?

> 3 - Create wardriving^Wwireless analysis tool.
> No, not for wardriving. I mean an application that shows and analyzes
> nicely the signal strength of nearby APs, and other features of it

it seems to me that kismet provides exactly this capability, what is it
missing?

David Lang

2010-02-01 22:39:30

by Nick Bowler

On 22:14 Mon 01 Feb , Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> 2 - Allow a wireless card to associate to several APs at once (if they
> share the frequency).
> Implement this at least for ath5/9k. Madwifi had that feature. Maybe
> ath9k has. If it has that feature, test it.

I haven't actually tried this particular case, but this is ostensibly
already supported by mac80211: iw allows you to create several wireless
interfaces that share a phy, which can then be configured into different
modes (I've used station + monitor successfully in the past).

--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)

2010-02-05 15:49:35

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Pat Erley <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 02/03/10 13:48, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:25:04 +0100, Holger Schurig
>>> <[email protected]>

>>> Yeah, I will try to find the time soon.  Any hints as to what needs to be
>>> documented?  It is, at least in my opinion, pretty trivial to pull off, so
>>> I'm not certain that anything more than an entry explaining how to create
>>> additional interfaces is necessary.  Feel free to throw some ideas as to
>>> what all you'd like to see in the documentation, and I'll write it (them?)
>>
>> The ath9k virtual wiphy stuff is private to ath9k so for that you can
>> add it here:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/debug#wiphy
>>
>> For things that are specific to mac80211 that do not require the ath9k
>> virtual wiphy something on the root of this page might be better:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation
>>
>> If ath9k virtual wiphy is quite useful today we would have to ensure
>> any possible replacement would meet up to match its capabilities. I
>> was unaware anyone was yet using it and testing it extensively. Have
>> you been doing these tests on the virtual wiphy with a fairly recent
>> snapshot?
>
> I tinker with the mac80211 interface to it a lot (a project on my d-link dir-615).  I'm doing a pseudo wds setup or client/AP setup, whatever you'd call that - essentially, a range extender.  I have some other hardware that I tinker with multiple APs using hostapd, as well as MP+AP for fun.  All the systems are wired together, so it's not a big deal for me if I break things, hence all the tinkering.
>
> As far as snapshots, I am using a lightly modded compat-wireless+compat from git that works with wireless-testing.  I update every 2-3 days.  Before mac80211 supported multiple vifs, I was testing with the ath9k interface exclusively.
>
> Do you guys think the content would be better placed onto the iw page, or onto a separate one?

iw command stuff should go on the iw page
ath9k virtual wiphy stuff on the ath9k/debug page

If there is something else you'd like to cover like AP + MP solution
together perhaps adding a new page would be best.

Luis

2010-02-02 04:25:31

by Pat Erley

On 02/01/10 17:12, Nick Bowler wrote:
> On 22:14 Mon 01 Feb , Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>> 2 - Allow a wireless card to associate to several APs at once (if they
>> share the frequency).
>> Implement this at least for ath5/9k. Madwifi had that feature. Maybe
>> ath9k has. If it has that feature, test it.
>
> I haven't actually tried this particular case, but this is ostensibly
> already supported by mac80211: iw allows you to create several wireless
> interfaces that share a phy, which can then be configured into different
> modes (I've used station + monitor successfully in the past).

With ath9k I have used:

AP + MP
AP + STA
AP + AP (Open and WPA2)

using both the debug interface to ath9k's internal multi-vif support
(never tested MP with ath9k multi-vif) and mac80211. I know that
if you use the ath9k internal method, you can operate on multiple
channels at a sacrifice to throughput. I have not tested if mac80211
supports multiple channels.

It's as easy as:

AP+MP and AP+STA:
Start Hostapd
Create interface with iw
use second interface.

AP+AP
Configure hostapd for multiple bss
start hostapd

Pat Erley

2010-02-17 17:07:05

by Alexey Khoroshilov

Subject: Re: [lsb-discuss] Linux wireless GSoC 2010 project ideas

Till,

Are you going to setup a wiki page to collect proposed GSoC projects for
the LF application this year?
Something similar to [1].

[1] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009

Alexey

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Great to hear from you.
>
> I will apply again for the LF entering as a mentoring organization and I
> will add your projects to the list of proposed projects for the LF
> application.
>
> Till
>
> P. S.: Do you know someone with knowledge in data compression? I will
> run a project at OpenPrinting which is about data compression.
>

> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Google has confirmed it will have a Google Summer of Code for 2010
>> [1]. Last year we had a few projects suggested (4) and accepted (3)
>> under the Linux Foundation sponsoring organization umbrella [2].
>> Unfortunately out of the three projects that were approved only one
>> completed successfully, that of the adding AP support to Network
>> Manger. I haven't seen specific updates to the progress of that but I
>> do know some patches were indeed submitted to help with this effort.
>> Perhaps the student can elaborate more.
>>
>> The other projects that did not pass are up as suggestion for this
>> year again, but am hoping there are more. If you do have a project
>> idea please just go ahead and add your idea to the list of possible
>> projects [3]; you don't have to fill out a full page for it for now
>> but the more details you can add the better. If the Linux Foundation
>> does give us a few slots I recommend we be a little more strict about
>> acceptance criteria since our failure rate was pretty high (2/3) and
>> it would be better to see other projects get accepted if we do not
>> have the confidence our projects will be completed. One possibility to
>> help with the success rate of our projects might be to narrow the
>> scope down a little more. I think the testing and GeoClue project
>> might have been a little too ambitious and although we did have pretty
>> excited students we saw no progress at all.
>>
>> If you have ideas for projects just feel free to add to the wiki. We
>> should strive to get all project ideas finalized by the middle of
>> February, latest the end of February. Hopefully towards the end of
>> February we can see who would be willing to mentor each project.
>> Google plans on starting to accept would-be-mentor organization
>> applications on March 8th so we'll need our ideas finalized well
>> before that so we can send them as suggestions to the Linux Foundation
>> to see if we can get a few good project candidates accepted.
>>
>> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
>> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2009
>> [3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/GSoC/2010
>>
>> Luis

2010-03-12 08:12:18

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/09/2010 11:43 PM, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> Ok, I hope it's not too late.

No, we are well before the student's application period.

> Here is one subject that I would like to apply for:

Thank you for your suggestion.

Great that you tell us your idea already now, we can put it on our ideas
page to support our application as mentoring organization,

Till

2010-03-12 08:59:29

by Till Kamppeter

Can someone post this project idea on the ideas list today (marking that
it comes from a student). This could support our application as
mentoring organization.

Till

On 03/09/2010 11:43 PM, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:51:59AM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> No problem for students to suggest topics. We are not restricted to
>> wireless in terms of kernel. We support kernel projects in general.
>>
>> Please give your suggestion as answer to this e-mail, doing "Reply to
>> all", as I am not a kernel export, the other participants of this thread
>> should have a look at the student's project ideas and help finding
>> mentors.
>>
>> Till
>

> Ok, I hope it's not too late.
> Here is one subject that I would like to apply for:
>

> = Improving tracing in perf events / ftrace =
>

> Using trace events under perf events is still a young feature
> and needs various improvements.
>
> - Syscall events can carry only raw values and addresses.
> We need to make them "aware" of strings and structures contents
> from userspace.
>
> - Make function / function graph tracers usable by perf
>
> - Optimize tracing fast-path
>
> - Improve perf tools to better handle trace events scalability
>
> - Provide new perf tools that exploit trace events (scheduler
> migration analysis, etc...)
>
> - Implement a per context excluding (eg: exclude irqs, exclude functions, etc...)
>
> - There are always things to do there.
>

> Of course, each of these elements require a lot of work,
> so not all of them can be done in two months, and some
> of them can be started already before the summer.

2010-03-12 09:57:14

by Till Kamppeter

Thanks for adding it.

Till

On 03/12/2010 10:38 AM, Denis Silakov wrote:
> Added this item to '2010 GSoC Kernel work' page:
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/2010-gsoc-kernel-work
>
> On 03/12/10 11:59, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Can someone post this project idea on the ideas list today (marking that
>> it comes from a student). This could support our application as
>> mentoring organization.
>>
>> Till

2010-03-21 19:49:25

by Frederic Weisbecker

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:38:15PM +0300, Denis Silakov wrote:
> Added this item to '2010 GSoC Kernel work' page:
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/2010-gsoc-kernel-work

Before asking the Portland State University as Greg suggested, is there
someone who would like to mentor this project?

Thanks.

> On 03/12/10 11:59, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > Can someone post this project idea on the ideas list today (marking that
> > it comes from a student). This could support our application as
> > mentoring organization.
> >
> > Till
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Denis.

2010-03-09 22:43:57

by Frederic Weisbecker

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:51:59AM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> No problem for students to suggest topics. We are not restricted to
> wireless in terms of kernel. We support kernel projects in general.
>
> Please give your suggestion as answer to this e-mail, doing "Reply to
> all", as I am not a kernel export, the other participants of this thread
> should have a look at the student's project ideas and help finding
> mentors.
>
> Till

Ok, I hope it's not too late.
[...]

2010-03-12 09:38:17

by Denis Silakov

Added this item to '2010 GSoC Kernel work' page:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/2010-gsoc-kernel-work

On 03/12/10 11:59, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Can someone post this project idea on the ideas list today (marking that
> it comes from a student). This could support our application as
> mentoring organization.
>
> Till

Denis.

2010-03-18 03:40:24

by Frederic Weisbecker

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:12:12AM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 03/09/2010 11:43 PM, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>> Ok, I hope it's not too late.
>
> No, we are well before the student's application period.
>
>> Here is one subject that I would like to apply for:
>>

> Thank you for your suggestion.
>
> Great that you tell us your idea already now, we can put it on our ideas
> page to support our application as mentoring organization,
>
> Till

Thanks for adding it!