2014-11-20 12:43:11

by Ruben De Smet

Subject: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n

Hello b43 and linux-wireless

I'm not subscribed (anymore) to these lists, so please use the "reply
all" feature of your mailclient. Thank you :)

This will be the last day I'm using my Broadcom Corporation BCM43228
802.11a/b/g/n miniPCI WiFi card, as I'm switching to a faster Intel AC card.
Is there any interest in the linux-wireless or b43 community to have
this device for reverse engineering purposes? I'm able to send it for free.

Ruben

--
I prefer encrypted email. My key's signature ends in 1213DC10 and here's
a tutorial: http://lifehacker.com/180878/how-to-encrypt-your-email

Attachments:
signature.asc (473.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2014-11-20 20:47:22

by Ruben De Smet

Subject: Re: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n

On 20-11-14 14:28, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> What is the labelling on the device? BCM943228....? There are probably
> some characters behind that id that identify the specific board.

I'll have a look at it when I take it back out. New card doesn't work
without modifying the whitelist of my UEFI. I'll keep you posted.

signature.asc (473.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2014-11-20 12:51:18

by Rafał Miłecki

On 20 November 2014 13:43, Ruben De Smet <[email protected]> wrote:
> This will be the last day I'm using my Broadcom Corporation BCM43228
> 802.11a/b/g/n miniPCI WiFi card, as I'm switching to a faster Intel AC card.
> Is there any interest in the linux-wireless or b43 community to have
> this device for reverse engineering purposes? I'm able to send it for free.

Did you test this device with b43? Were there any problems with it?

2014-11-20 13:28:40

by Arend van Spriel

On 11/20/14 13:43, Ruben De Smet wrote:
> Hello b43 and linux-wireless
>
> I'm not subscribed (anymore) to these lists, so please use the "reply
> all" feature of your mailclient. Thank you :)
>
> This will be the last day I'm using my Broadcom Corporation BCM43228
> 802.11a/b/g/n miniPCI WiFi card, as I'm switching to a faster Intel AC card.
> Is there any interest in the linux-wireless or b43 community to have
> this device for reverse engineering purposes? I'm able to send it for free.

What is the labelling on the device? BCM943228....? There are probably
some characters behind that id that identify the specific board.

Regards,
Arend

2014-11-20 20:46:30

by Ruben De Smet

On 20-11-14 15:49, Francesco Gringoli wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2014, at 1:51 PM, Rafał Miłecki <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 20 November 2014 13:43, Ruben De Smet <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> This will be the last day I'm using my Broadcom Corporation BCM43228
>>> 802.11a/b/g/n miniPCI WiFi card, as I'm switching to a faster Intel AC card.
>>> Is there any interest in the linux-wireless or b43 community to have
>>> this device for reverse engineering purposes? I'm able to send it for free.
>>
>> Did you test this device with b43? Were there any problems with it?
> By the way, I have been using a few 43228 in monitor mode with b43 and they were hanging pretty randomly (I was using 3.16.0-wl that time, apparently they were stopping receiving but they were still able to transmit). Although they work much better than 43224, especially with 48Mb/s and 54Mb/s and with higher MCS (especially with two streams), the 43224 seemed to be more stable.
>
> Best,
> -Francesco

Followup: just tried to place the new WLAN card in my notebook; Lenovo
doesn't like them if they're not whitelisted. I'll have to hack my bios
before I send this card over.

Yes, I tried blacklisting the proprietary wl on kernel 3.17 and
rebooting. Messed a bit around, I could scan for networks, but wasn't
able to connect to any of them. I sent a mail about that earlier to the
b43 list; got no response (possibly someone forgot to use reply all).

signature.asc (473.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2014-11-20 14:49:11

by Francesco Gringoli

On 20-11-14 13:51, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 20 November 2014 13:43, Ruben De Smet <[email protected]> wrote:
>> This will be the last day I'm using my Broadcom Corporation BCM43228
>> 802.11a/b/g/n miniPCI WiFi card, as I'm switching to a faster Intel AC card.
>> Is there any interest in the linux-wireless or b43 community to have
>> this device for reverse engineering purposes? I'm able to send it for free.
>
> Did you test this device with b43? Were there any problems with it?

This is what I wrote on 12 November.

--BEGIN--

Hi!

Today Fedora 20 updated to 3.17 and so I was pretty eager to try b43
instead of wl. It didn't work like I hoped it would; networkmanager was
able to scan but not to connect with my BCM43228.
I've ordered an Intel WiFi card some days ago. So if the b43 team wants
to, I can send a developer my BCM card for free for developing, reverse
engineering and debugging purposes.

(I googled an excerpt of the dmesg error message (because it had a MAC
address in it I didn't want to give to Google), but I forgot to write
down the original message:

deauthenticating by local choice (Reason: 3=DEAUTH_LEAVING)

Ruben

--END--

Attachments:
signature.asc (473.00 B)