2012-09-26 11:02:38

by Ben Gray

Subject: ath6kl ar6004/ar9374 (hw 1.3) WPA/WPA2 supported ?

Hi,

I have a bunch of UB134 USB dongles which have a ath6kl chip with
H/W version 0x31c8088a, I'm trying to get them to work with the ath6kl
driver from the compat-wireless-3.6-rc5-1 package. I've applied this
(https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1203191/) patch to the source and
pulled the hw1.3 firmware from the linux-firmware git.

The driver works as far as it can scan AP's and connect to
unencrypted networks, however WPA/WPA2 doesn't work when I run
wpa_supplicant. I realise "WPA doesn't work" is a bit vague, and I can
post the wpa_supplicant and driver logs if that helps, but I've seen
another post which says they couldn't get WPA to work either, so I'd
like to know if this is a known issue with the driver and/or firmware?
Has anyone had any luck getting WPA/WPA2 working with ath6kl hw1.3 ?

If this is a known issue does anyone know when it might be fixed ?

Thanks in advance,
Ben.

2012-09-26 12:35:54

by Ben Gray

Subject: Re: ath6kl ar6004/ar9374 (hw 1.3) WPA/WPA2 supported ?

Wow that was quick, thanks very much. Any idea when it will make it
upstream ?

I've attached the wpa_supplicant (v0.7.3) log in case anyone is still
interested.

Thanks everyone for your replies,

Ben.

On 26/09/2012 13:19, Mohammed Shafi wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Jonathan Bagg <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've had the same experience, I can connect with iw, but not with
>> wpa_supplicant with wpa. I also couldn't get higher than 65Mbps, MCS7
>> (other devices on the same router will go faster). I'm probably the other
>> post you mentioned.
>
> We have a fix, I shall validate it and send it upstream.
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> On 12-09-26 07:02 AM, Ben Gray wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a bunch of UB134 USB dongles which have a ath6kl chip with H/W
>>> version 0x31c8088a, I'm trying to get them to work with the ath6kl driver
>>> from the compat-wireless-3.6-rc5-1 package. I've applied this
>>> (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1203191/) patch to the source and pulled
>>> the hw1.3 firmware from the linux-firmware git.
>>>
>>> The driver works as far as it can scan AP's and connect to unencrypted
>>> networks, however WPA/WPA2 doesn't work when I run wpa_supplicant. I realise
>>> "WPA doesn't work" is a bit vague, and I can post the wpa_supplicant and
>>> driver logs if that helps, but I've seen another post which says they
>>> couldn't get WPA to work either, so I'd like to know if this is a known
>>> issue with the driver and/or firmware? Has anyone had any luck getting
>>> WPA/WPA2 working with ath6kl hw1.3 ?
>>>
>>> If this is a known issue does anyone know when it might be fixed ?
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Ben.
>>>
>>> --
>> the body of a message to [email protected]

wpa_supp.log (33.33 kB)

2012-09-26 15:11:05

by Ben Gray

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Ben Gray <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Wow that was quick, thanks very much. Any idea when it will make it
>> upstream ?
>
> can you please try the attached patch. I will just put tested-by if it
> works for you too.
> It works for me.
Yes, that works for me :), I've tried both WPA and WPA2 and both work so
far.

Many thanks Mohammed, it's much appreciated.

>> I've attached the wpa_supplicant (v0.7.3) log in case anyone is still
>> interested.
>>
>> Thanks everyone for your replies,
>>
>> Ben.

>>> We have a fix, I shall validate it and send it upstream.

2012-09-26 14:02:44

by Mohammed Shafi

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Ben Gray <[email protected]> wrote:
> Wow that was quick, thanks very much. Any idea when it will make it
> upstream ?

can you please try the attached patch. I will just put tested-by if it
works for you too.
It works for me.

> I've attached the wpa_supplicant (v0.7.3) log in case anyone is still
> interested.
>
> Thanks everyone for your replies,
>
> Ben.
>

> On 26/09/2012 13:19, Mohammed Shafi wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Jonathan Bagg <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had the same experience, I can connect with iw, but not with
>>> wpa_supplicant with wpa. I also couldn't get higher than 65Mbps, MCS7
>>> (other devices on the same router will go faster). I'm probably the
>>> other
>>> post you mentioned.
>>

>> We have a fix, I shall validate it and send it upstream.
>>>

>>> Jon

>>> --
>>> in
>>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>>> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

--
thanks,
shafi

Attachments:
wpa2-ath6kl-fix.patch (1.06 kB)

2012-09-26 12:19:30

by Mohammed Shafi

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Jonathan Bagg <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've had the same experience, I can connect with iw, but not with
> wpa_supplicant with wpa. I also couldn't get higher than 65Mbps, MCS7
> (other devices on the same router will go faster). I'm probably the other
> post you mentioned.

We have a fix, I shall validate it and send it upstream.

> Jon
>

> On 12-09-26 07:02 AM, Ben Gray wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a bunch of UB134 USB dongles which have a ath6kl chip with H/W
>> version 0x31c8088a, I'm trying to get them to work with the ath6kl driver
>> from the compat-wireless-3.6-rc5-1 package. I've applied this
>> (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1203191/) patch to the source and pulled
>> the hw1.3 firmware from the linux-firmware git.
>>
>> The driver works as far as it can scan AP's and connect to unencrypted
>> networks, however WPA/WPA2 doesn't work when I run wpa_supplicant. I realise
>> "WPA doesn't work" is a bit vague, and I can post the wpa_supplicant and
>> driver logs if that helps, but I've seen another post which says they
>> couldn't get WPA to work either, so I'd like to know if this is a known
>> issue with the driver and/or firmware? Has anyone had any luck getting
>> WPA/WPA2 working with ath6kl hw1.3 ?
>>
>> If this is a known issue does anyone know when it might be fixed ?
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ben.
>>
>> --

thanks,
shafi

2012-09-26 11:49:35

by Jonathan Bagg

I've had the same experience, I can connect with iw, but not with
wpa_supplicant with wpa. I also couldn't get higher than 65Mbps, MCS7
(other devices on the same router will go faster). I'm probably the
other post you mentioned.

Jon

On 12-09-26 07:02 AM, Ben Gray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bunch of UB134 USB dongles which have a ath6kl chip with
> H/W version 0x31c8088a, I'm trying to get them to work with the ath6kl
> driver from the compat-wireless-3.6-rc5-1 package. I've applied this
> (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1203191/) patch to the source and
> pulled the hw1.3 firmware from the linux-firmware git.
>
> The driver works as far as it can scan AP's and connect to
> unencrypted networks, however WPA/WPA2 doesn't work when I run
> wpa_supplicant. I realise "WPA doesn't work" is a bit vague, and I can
> post the wpa_supplicant and driver logs if that helps, but I've seen
> another post which says they couldn't get WPA to work either, so I'd
> like to know if this is a known issue with the driver and/or firmware?
> Has anyone had any luck getting WPA/WPA2 working with ath6kl hw1.3 ?
>
> If this is a known issue does anyone know when it might be fixed ?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Ben.

> linux-wireless" in

by Jouni Malinen

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 07:49:34AM -0400, Jonathan Bagg wrote:
> I've had the same experience, I can connect with iw, but not with
> wpa_supplicant with wpa.

Could someone please post some debug logs from wpa_supplicant showing
the issue? There is not much that can be done with "WPA doesn't work"..

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA

2012-09-26 11:44:00

by Mohammed Shafi

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Ben Gray <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bunch of UB134 USB dongles which have a ath6kl chip with H/W
> version 0x31c8088a, I'm trying to get them to work with the ath6kl driver
> from the compat-wireless-3.6-rc5-1 package. I've applied this
> (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1203191/) patch to the source and pulled
> the hw1.3 firmware from the linux-firmware git.
>
> The driver works as far as it can scan AP's and connect to unencrypted
> networks, however WPA/WPA2 doesn't work when I run wpa_supplicant. I realise
> "WPA doesn't work" is a bit vague, and I can post the wpa_supplicant and
> driver logs if that helps, but I've seen another post which says they
> couldn't get WPA to work either, so I'd like to know if this is a known
> issue with the driver and/or firmware? Has anyone had any luck getting
> WPA/WPA2 working with ath6kl hw1.3 ?

let us check this out and would let you know the fix. I will ask more
information, once i
start recreating the issue.

> If this is a known issue does anyone know when it might be fixed ?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Ben.

thanks,
shafi

2012-09-26 15:14:42

by Mohammed Shafi

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Ben Gray <[email protected]> wrote:

>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Ben Gray <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow that was quick, thanks very much. Any idea when it will make it
>>> upstream ?
>>

>> can you please try the attached patch. I will just put tested-by if it
>> works for you too.
>> It works for me.
>
> Yes, that works for me :), I've tried both WPA and WPA2 and both work so
> far.
>
> Many thanks Mohammed, it's much appreciated.

thanks i will add tested-by with the attached to be sent patch

>>> I've attached the wpa_supplicant (v0.7.3) log in case anyone is still
>>> interested.
>>>
>>> Thanks everyone for your replies,
>>>
>>> Ben.

--
thanks,
shafi

Attachments:
0001-ath6kl-Fix-mapping-uplink-endpoint-for-AR6004.patch (2.81 kB)