2015-02-02 21:48:38

by Vladimír Čunát

Subject: broken URLs of iwlwifi firmware tarballs

Hello,
the URLs to iwlwifi firmware tarballs are broken.
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

Is that a temporary problem? I could find no mirrors for some of the
files. (Besides, I found that nixos.org isn't the only user of those URLs.)

Please, CC me with replies.

Thanks,
Vladimir

Attachments:
smime.p7s (3.17 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

2015-02-04 15:35:35

by Emmanuel Grumbach

Subject: Re: broken URLs of iwlwifi firmware tarballs

> On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 13:06 +0100, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
>> On 02/03/2015 09:46 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> > I've fixed that now.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> For future reference, is it the case that fetching from (c)git is the
>> preferred way of distributing the firmware? (preferred by you, i.e.p
>> *.kernel.org)
>
> We publish both, so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah but I typically publish on the git tree earlier since it is easier :)
Not really significant though.

2015-02-02 22:57:20

by Vladimír Čunát

On 02/02/2015 11:45 PM, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:
> Aren't they now all available as part of
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/

Yes, all should be there as well, I guess. I didn't switch to that repo
yet because:
- they're not the same *.tgz files (with the same hashes);
- serving uncompressed files through (c)git surely isn't a preferred
method to distribute binaries;
- the URLs were used by many (according to my searching), so it seemed
preferable to just fix them instead of everyone switching to different ones.

Vladimir

Attachments:
smime.p7s (3.17 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

2015-02-04 12:15:29

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 13:06 +0100, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> On 02/03/2015 09:46 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > I've fixed that now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> For future reference, is it the case that fetching from (c)git is the
> preferred way of distributing the firmware? (preferred by you, i.e.
> *.kernel.org)

We publish both, so it doesn't really matter.

johannes

2015-02-02 22:56:00

by Sven-Haegar Koch

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015, Vladimír Čunát wrote:

> the URLs to iwlwifi firmware tarballs are broken.
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi
>
> Is that a temporary problem? I could find no mirrors for some of the files.
> (Besides, I found that nixos.org isn't the only user of those URLs.)

Aren't they now all available as part of
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/
?

c'ya
sven-haegar

--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Ben F.

2015-02-03 08:46:56

by Johannes Berg

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 22:48 +0100, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> Hello,
> the URLs to iwlwifi firmware tarballs are broken.
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi
>
> Is that a temporary problem? I could find no mirrors for some of the
> files. (Besides, I found that nixos.org isn't the only user of those URLs.)

This was a problem with the markup conversion for the new wiki engine -
the links were converted to [[filename]] (to link to pages) instead of
{{filename}} (to link to attachments)

I've fixed that now.

johannes

2015-02-04 12:06:31