2001-11-23 19:11:35

by Martin Eriksson

Subject: IDE is still crap.. or something

Well, just wanted to tell you that 2.4.15 still slows down to a crawl when
copying a 500MB file between two hard drives (running ext3). I have tried
any of the -c -u -m -W settings in hdparm. I even applied the 2.4.14 IDE
patch (after fixing the rejects) but no go.

Even iptables is affected, because it takes forever to surf the internet
from my behind-linux-firewall windows computer.

I'm right now trying to apply the preemptive-kernel patch to 2.4.15 but it
had some strange rejects so it will be exciting to see if it works. I get
good response from the -ac kernel series though.

| Martin Eriksson <[email protected]>
| MSc CSE student, department of Computing Science
| Ume? University, Sweden

2001-11-23 19:37:45

by Martin Eriksson

> Well, just wanted to tell you that 2.4.15 still slows down to a crawl when
> copying a 500MB file between two hard drives (running ext3). I have tried
> any of the -c -u -m -W settings in hdparm. I even applied the 2.4.14 IDE
> patch (after fixing the rejects) but no go.
>
> Even iptables is affected, because it takes forever to surf the internet
> from my behind-linux-firewall windows computer.
>
> I'm right now trying to apply the preemptive-kernel patch to 2.4.15 but it
> had some strange rejects so it will be exciting to see if it works. I get
> good response from the -ac kernel series though.

I applied the ide patch and the preemptive-kernel patch, and so far so good.
Response is up again, but I'm not sure how well I fixed the .rej files.
There were some reference to a "still_running" label that I simply
ignored... *shrug*

Btw, i run my (pretty slow) hard disks on my BP6 HPT366 controller.

| Martin Eriksson <[email protected]>
| MSc CSE student, department of Computing Science
| Ume? University, Sweden

2001-11-23 19:46:06

by Marcelo Tosatti

Any previous kernel gave you good performance ?