2000-12-16 19:38:00

by Rico Tudor

Subject: ServerWorks docs?

Does anyone have reference material for the ServerWorks northbridge?
I want to add their chipsets to my ECC-monitoring utility, but their
web site is little more than marketing drivel. Plus, they don't respond
to e-mail.

2000-12-18 10:35:12

by Rico Tudor

Subject: Re: ServerWorks docs?

Thanks for the offer, but the basic problem remains: no docs.
As [email protected] noted, http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/ shows some
cause for hope, but a medium-sized LART is still called for.

My interest in ServerWorks documentation is two-fold: first, to
expand chipset support in my ECC utility and second, to better support
ServerWorks-based machines in my workplace.

On behalf of the Linux community, I would sign NDA if it was civilized
and if my source remained, obviously, public-domain. I could visit
ServerWorks on my next foray to the Bay Area.

More important to me is ready access to technical documentation to support
machines at work. I come from the era when PDP-11's were shipped with
schematics, the OS, and the source to the OS. Things have been going
downhill ever since. I'm not catching the next plane to the Bay Area
for "eyes only" examination of a document every time a problem arises.
In this regard, companies like IBM Storage and Intel win my kudos,
and my dollars. ServerWorks may get some of those dollars because they
have an affordable chipset that supports 4 GB, but that advantage can
change overnight. It's not like IP has a long half-life these days,
unless you can corner the pyramid-building business.

These companies must evaluate their proprietary stance in relation to lost
sales, the more so as free source accelerates. ATI, Matrox, Adaptec: need
we say more? But then, I'm preaching to the choir. Perhaps ServerWorks
should look into their hearts, and decide what small part of their IP
has enormous, eternal value -- the kind that will have them rolling in
dough, just like Scrooge McDuck. The rest of the specification, like
the miserable ECC circuitry that's been done a million times before,
release it already! Their adoring Linux fans are waiting.

P.S. I wonder if Via reads this list.

2000-12-16 20:31:12

by Dave Jones

On 16 Dec 2000, Rico Tudor wrote:

> Does anyone have reference material for the ServerWorks northbridge?
> I want to add their chipsets to my ECC-monitoring utility, but their
> web site is little more than marketing drivel. Plus, they don't respond
> to e-mail.

I've tried on several occasions, but not got anywhere.
Judging by the comments on the lm-sensors homepage, chances of them
publically releasing register level info seems pretty slim.

regards,

Davej.

--
| Dave Jones <[email protected]> http://www.suse.de/~davej
| SuSE Labs

2000-12-17 00:56:54

by J.A. Magallon

On 2000/12/16 Rico Tudor wrote:
> Does anyone have reference material for the ServerWorks northbridge?
> I want to add their chipsets to my ECC-monitoring utility, but their
> web site is little more than marketing drivel. Plus, they don't respond
> to e-mail.

I was about to tell you that you were in trouble, but there are news;
look at

http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

What I knew was November 30, but look at news from December.

--
Juan Antonio Magallon Lacarta #> cd /pub
mailto:[email protected] #> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.2.19-pre1 #1 SMP Fri Dec 15 22:25:20 CET 2000 i686

2000-12-17 03:08:34

by Jeff Nguyen

Serverworks wants to support the Linux community. Thus they are
willing to share certain information to developers without risking the IP.
Recently ASL has been working with Serverworks in supporting the
lm-sensor project and other Linux software developer.

Let me know if you need some help with the chipset information.

Jeff

ASL Inc.

> > Does anyone have reference material for the ServerWorks northbridge?
> > I want to add their chipsets to my ECC-monitoring utility, but their
> > web site is little more than marketing drivel. Plus, they don't respond
> > to e-mail.
>
> I've tried on several occasions, but not got anywhere.
> Judging by the comments on the lm-sensors homepage, chances of them
> publically releasing register level info seems pretty slim.
>
> regards,
>
> Davej.
>
> --
> | Dave Jones <[email protected]> http://www.suse.de/~davej
> | SuSE Labs
>
> -

by Dan Hollis

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 [email protected] wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2000, Rico Tudor wrote:
> > Does anyone have reference material for the ServerWorks northbridge?
> > I want to add their chipsets to my ECC-monitoring utility, but their
> > web site is little more than marketing drivel. Plus, they don't respond
> > to e-mail.
> I've tried on several occasions, but not got anywhere.
> Judging by the comments on the lm-sensors homepage, chances of them
> publically releasing register level info seems pretty slim.

serverworks requires you not only to sign an NDA, but also do all
development on-site at their santa clara HQ under their direct
supervision.

I think it's rather stupid to have to take several days off work to fly
down to their HQ just for code that will take maybe 5 minutes to write.

If someone in santa clara wants to do it, fine.

-Dan

2000-12-18 15:46:56

by Matthew Jacob

Two points:

> More important to me is ready access to technical documentation to support
> machines at work. I come from the era when PDP-11's were shipped with
> schematics, the OS, and the source to the OS. Things have been going

The only source for the OS that came 'for free' that I can recall for the
PDP-11 was RSX-11- but that was only the bare kernel. The filesystem and the
utilities's source wwas not available. At that time, as you can probably well
recall, the UNIX source licence from WECO was 40K$ for v7 at Sidereal.

> downhill ever since. I'm not catching the next plane to the Bay Area
> for "eyes only" examination of a document every time a problem arises.
> In this regard, companies like IBM Storage and Intel win my kudos,

Don't applaud either Intel or IBM too loudly. In particular, Intel. Just *try*
and get documentation about their frickin' gigabit ethernet chip out of them.

-matt

2000-12-18 16:28:53

by Chris Friesen

Subject: gettimeofday() non-monotonic on uniprocessor system with ntp turned off?

I am having a little bit of a problem. I'm on a single processor G4 system
running 2.2.17 and I do not have ntp turned on. However, successive calls to
gettimeofday() occasionally return results that make it look as though time was
running backwards.

To test this, I wrote a small program that does a loop and calls gettimeofday(),
comparing the result to the previous time around. If the latest call is
"earlier" than the previous one, it prints both out as well as the difference
between the two. Here is some of the results:

time1 time2 delta
977032354.149970 977032354.140019 0.009951
977032507.119949 977032507.110004 0.009945
977032806.429940 977032806.420004 0.009936
977032822.349971 977032822.340008 0.009963
977032989.739968 977032989.730015 0.009953
977033057.579978 977033057.570006 0.009972
977033065.269950 977033065.260023 0.009927
977033155.499958 977033155.490030 0.009928
977033205.799960 977033205.790029 0.009931
977033279.919965 977033279.910024 0.009941
977033367.589953 977033367.580008 0.009945
977033454.509977 977033454.500030 0.009947
977033457.359965 977033457.350003 0.009962
977033500.619954 977033500.610011 0.009943
977033509.679964 977033509.670020 0.009944
977033659.439972 977033659.430003 0.009969
977033842.399966 977033842.390019 0.009947
977034023.419976 977034023.410023 0.009953
977034026.019983 977034026.010011 0.009972
977034085.899979 977034085.890032 0.009947
977034176.219956 977034176.210013 0.009943
977034691.289969 977034691.280026 0.009943
977034845.569984 977034845.560024 0.009960

It appears that the problem happens only when the first time reading is very
close to the end of a jiffy period. It almost seems like the microseconds value
rolls over to the new jiffy, then the program reads the value before the seconds
value catches up.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone fixed this already? I'm kind of surprised
that something like this is still around.

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557

2000-12-19 07:49:46

by Jeff Nguyen

Rico & Dan,

Below is the Email that Jim Forster of Serverworks sent to me:

"We want to enable the Linux community as quickly as possible; we
agree with
you that it makes business sense to do so. Given the fact that
our IP is
our sole product, we cannot release our technical documents to
the world at
large. We have been working to create an extract of our
documents to enable
the Linux community. As a small company experiencing tremendous
growth, our
support infrastructure must focus on our existing customers. At
this time,
I do not have an estimated release date for the technical
extract.
We are continuing our work to enable the Linux community. Can
you think of
any alternative methods to enable the Linux community without
exposing
ourselves? I'm certainly open to new ideas..."

Jim responded to my Email regarding support for lm-sensor. Granted
Serverworks has
not released any information to the public. But they are planing to extract
certain chipset
information that might be helpful for you. They are also open to idea from
the Linux
community.

After Jim replied, Phil Edelbock from lm-sensor group came up with a good
idea. They
decided to ask Jim for a specific set of information pertaining to the
project. So rather
goes for the whole documentation, they only asked for a small subset. The
idea worked
because Serverworks were able to supply the information quickly.

This could be a good approach in getting information from Serverwork outside
of NDA.

Jeff

ASL Inc.

> Thanks for the offer, but the basic problem remains: no docs.
> As [email protected] noted, http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/ shows some
> cause for hope, but a medium-sized LART is still called for.
>
> My interest in ServerWorks documentation is two-fold: first, to
> expand chipset support in my ECC utility and second, to better support
> ServerWorks-based machines in my workplace.
>
> On behalf of the Linux community, I would sign NDA if it was civilized
> and if my source remained, obviously, public-domain. I could visit
> ServerWorks on my next foray to the Bay Area.
>
> More important to me is ready access to technical documentation to support
> machines at work. I come from the era when PDP-11's were shipped with
> schematics, the OS, and the source to the OS. Things have been going
> downhill ever since. I'm not catching the next plane to the Bay Area
> for "eyes only" examination of a document every time a problem arises.
> In this regard, companies like IBM Storage and Intel win my kudos,
> and my dollars. ServerWorks may get some of those dollars because they
> have an affordable chipset that supports 4 GB, but that advantage can
> change overnight. It's not like IP has a long half-life these days,
> unless you can corner the pyramid-building business.
>
> These companies must evaluate their proprietary stance in relation to lost
> sales, the more so as free source accelerates. ATI, Matrox, Adaptec: need
> we say more? But then, I'm preaching to the choir. Perhaps ServerWorks
> should look into their hearts, and decide what small part of their IP
> has enormous, eternal value -- the kind that will have them rolling in
> dough, just like Scrooge McDuck. The rest of the specification, like
> the miserable ECC circuitry that's been done a million times before,
> release it already! Their adoring Linux fans are waiting.
>
> P.S. I wonder if Via reads this list.

2000-12-20 04:25:11

by Paul Mackerras

Christopher Friesen writes:

> I am having a little bit of a problem. I'm on a single processor G4 system
> running 2.2.17 and I do not have ntp turned on. However, successive calls to
> gettimeofday() occasionally return results that make it look as though time was
> running backwards.

Looking at the code in the kernel, I can't see why this would happen.
Could you send me the code for your test program so I can chase this?

Paul.

--
Paul Mackerras, Senior Open Source Researcher, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990 tel, +61 2 6262 8991 fax