2002-02-04 22:20:05

by Andreas Tscharner

Subject: New scheduler in 2.4. series?

Hello World,
Hello Marcelo,

Is there any chance, that the new scheduler will be in the 2.4 series soon?

Regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Tscharner [email protected]
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Attachments:
(No filename) (189.00 B)

2002-02-04 22:35:45

by Brandon Low

Subject: Re: New scheduler in 2.4. series?

Seeing the new scheduler in 2.4 would be nice! However, soon wouldn't be nice, because there are a lot of 3rd party kernel
modules that try to make calls against the old scheduler that don't seem to work. My personal case in point is Bestcrypt
( http://www.jetico.sci.fi ). Just my thoughts on the matter.

--Brandon

> Hello World,
> Hello Marcelo,
>
> Is there any chance, that the new scheduler will be in the 2.4 series soon?
>
> Regards
> Andreas
> --
> Andreas Tscharner [email protected]
> "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
> bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce
> bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Attachments:
(No filename) (893.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Dieter Nützel

On Monday, 4. February 2002 22:19, Andreas Tscharner wrote:
> Hello World,
> Hello Marcelo,
>
> Is there any chance, that the new scheduler will be in the 2.4 series soon?

I think "we" should start with the "remaining" -aa patches for
2.4.19-pre1/-pre2, finally...

Yes, I know that I repeate my point, but it is time.

Thanks,
Dieter
--
Dieter N?tzel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg
Department of Computer Science
@home: [email protected]

2002-02-05 18:58:06

by Kristian Peters

Brandon Low <[email protected]> wrote:
> Seeing the new scheduler in 2.4 would be nice! However, soon wouldn't be nice, because there are a lot of 3rd party kernel
> modules that try to make calls against the old scheduler that don't seem to work. My personal case in point is Bestcrypt
> ( http://www.jetico.sci.fi ). Just my thoughts on the matter.

If you're speaking of Ingo's O1-scheduler I won't vote for inclusion now. I still have some trouble with high priority nice levels (renice -20). For some seconds the system gets totally unresponsive for user requests while switching between those processes. The last one I've tried was J2.

*Kristian

:... [snd.science] ...:
::
:: http://www.korseby.net
:: http://gsmp.sf.net
:.........................:: ~/$ [email protected] :

2002-02-05 21:09:23

by Ingo Molnar

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Kristian wrote:

> [...] I still have some trouble with high priority nice levels (renice
> -20). For some seconds the system gets totally unresponsive for user
> requests while switching between those processes. [...]

if you are using nice -20 tasks then they might take CPU time away from
lower priority tasks. This is why bigger negative nice levels should only
be used sparingly. (and this is why it can only be done as root.)

> The last one I've tried was J2.

that's a pretty old patch, the current one is -K2.

Ingo

2002-02-05 21:26:45

by Kristian Peters

Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
> if you are using nice -20 tasks then they might take CPU time away from
> lower priority tasks. This is why bigger negative nice levels should only
> be used sparingly. (and this is why it can only be done as root.)

Of course. But with the good old scheduler I've never had any problems. The system was very slow but continuously responsive. (low frequency timeslices between process rotations) With your -J2 patch it's getting really unusable. Maybe I should give -K2 a try.

*Kristian

:... [snd.science] ...:
::
:: http://www.korseby.net
:: http://gsmp.sf.net
:.........................:: ~/$ [email protected] :

2002-02-05 21:29:03

by Ingo Molnar

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Kristian wrote:

> Of course. But with the good old scheduler I've never had any
> problems. The system was very slow but continuously responsive. [...]

true, the old scheduler did not do much with the nice level. In the new
scheduler there is some real difference between nice levels - and this is
a feature. I'd suggest for you to try something like nice -5. What kind of
application are you renicing?

Ingo

2002-02-05 21:55:55

by Kristian Peters

Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
> true, the old scheduler did not do much with the nice level. In the new
> scheduler there is some real difference between nice levels - and this is
> a feature. I'd suggest for you to try something like nice -5. What kind of
> application are you renicing?

Just multiple 'nice -n -20 tar -cvjf` in a row for "high priority backup when my DTLA drives makes wierd noises again". I'm just compiling -K2. (BTW: -J2 behaves really bad while moving windows during a kernel compilation.)

*Kristian

:... [snd.science] ...:
::
:: http://www.korseby.net
:: http://gsmp.sf.net
:.........................:: ~/$ [email protected] :

2002-02-06 08:20:09

by Kristian Peters

Hello.

-K2 behaves much better as -J2 did. The system gets continuously responsive again. But with nicelevel -5 at the beginning of each 'tar` the systems stalls for 2 or 3 seconds.

*Kristian

:... [snd.science] ...:
::
:: http://www.korseby.net
:: http://gsmp.sf.net
:.........................:: ~/$ [email protected] :

2002-02-06 11:02:32

by Ingo Molnar

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Kristian wrote:

> -K2 behaves much better as -J2 did. The system gets continuously
> responsive again. But with nicelevel -5 at the beginning of each 'tar`
> the systems stalls for 2 or 3 seconds.

yes, it takes 2-3 seconds for the system to notice that the 'tar' process
started from your interactive shell is in fact a 'CPU hog'. The system was
honoring root's request for CPU time.

this should not happen if you start it at nice -2, which should still give
'tar' enough of an advantage.

Ingo