2002-03-21 05:12:42

by Bergs

Subject: The network performance of linux

I work on a linux 2.2.14 kernel to test the network
throughput of a linux box used as a firewall.

I find that when the IP packet length is 512B,the
throughput is the highest 71%. IP packet length is
smaller than 512B or bigger than 512B,the throughput
is the lower.

I don't know why this ? Can I have some solutions
to improve the throughput of linux box ?

Bergs

Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards?
http://movies.yahoo.com/

2002-03-21 05:19:02

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: Re: The network performance of linux

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:12:19PM -0800, Bergs wrote:

> I work on a linux 2.2.14 kernel to test the network
> throughput of a linux box used as a firewall.
>
> I find that when the IP packet length is 512B,the
> throughput is the highest 71%. IP packet length is
> smaller than 512B or bigger than 512B,the throughput
> is the lower.
>
> I don't know why this ? Can I have some solutions
> to improve the throughput of linux box ?

You'll need to post much more info about your hardware.

start with lspci and /proc/cpuinfo...

Also you didn't say how fast each packet size actually was, and did you use
a switch or what other type of network hardware.

Mike

2002-03-21 09:06:03

by David Schwartz

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:12:19 -0800 (PST), Bergs wrote:

>I work on a linux 2.2.14 kernel to test the network
>throughput of a linux box used as a firewall.

>I find that when the IP packet length is 512B,the
>throughput is the highest 71%. IP packet length is
>smaller than 512B or bigger than 512B,the throughput
>is the lower.

>I don't know why this ? Can I have some solutions
>to improve the throughput of linux box ?

I don't understand what you're measuring. Are you using TCP or UDP? If UDP,
what exactly are you measuring? If TCP, how are you changing the packet size?

2002-03-21 20:43:12

by Mark

Bergs wrote:

> I work on a linux 2.2.14 kernel to test the network
>throughput of a linux box used as a firewall.

you need to provide more details:-

where are you measuring your poor performance? from a machine
behind your firewall - or from the linux firewall itself?

how do you know the throughput is not being limited by the network?

mark