2002-10-13 18:36:00

by DervishD

Subject: Known 'issues' about 2.4.19...

Hi all :))

Is there any known bug or other issues about 2.4.19 that prevents
it from being used in a production machine? I mean, I don't worry if
the sound is broken or things like those, I mean if the IDE driver
does 'things' and the like ;))

I'm thinking about going to 2.4.19 or the latest -ac for 2.4.20.

Thanks a lot :)
Ra?l

2002-10-13 19:31:12

by jbradford

Subject: Re: Known 'issues' about 2.4.19...

> Is there any known bug or other issues about 2.4.19 that prevents
> it from being used in a production machine? I mean, I don't worry if
> the sound is broken or things like those, I mean if the IDE driver
> does 'things' and the like ;))

I used it for three months for desktop use without a single problem.
I only stopped when I moved over to the 2.5.x tree, once the IDE
problems had been fixed.

2002-10-13 19:54:32

by Andreas Steinmetz

DervishD wrote:
> Hi all :))
>
> Is there any known bug or other issues about 2.4.19 that prevents
Bonding is broken.
--
Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH

2002-10-13 19:57:20

by DervishD

Hi Andreas :)

> > Is there any known bug or other issues about 2.4.19 that prevents
> Bonding is broken.

Do you refer to NIC bonding? Anyway, I don't know what 'bonding'
is, just I've heard the word related to NIC O:)))

Thanks Andreas :)

Ra?l

2002-10-14 13:05:07

by Rob Landley

On Sunday 13 October 2002 04:02 pm, DervishD wrote:
> Hi Andreas :)
>
> > > Is there any known bug or other issues about 2.4.19 that prevents
> >
> > Bonding is broken.
>
> Do you refer to NIC bonding? Anyway, I don't know what 'bonding'
> is, just I've heard the word related to NIC O:)))

It lets you use two ethernet cards as a single interface, assuming the switch
they're plugged into supports it. Cheap way to get 200 mbps throughput,
especially with a switch that only does gigabit on the uplink port.

See Documentation/networking/bonding.txt in the kernel tarball...

Rob

2002-10-14 14:35:23

by Andre Costa

Hi Ra?l,

I've been using 2.4.19 for a couple of months already. Generally
speaking, I've had no probls with it. I recently found out its IDE
subsystem doesn't get along too well with VIA chipsets (replaced my old
mobo for a VT8233 based recently and probls started surfacing).
Basically, I am unable to rip audio tracks from my cds
(/var/log/messages logs a lot of timeouts).

This is a real PITA, but kernel folks are already aware of it and and
it's going through major reimplementation on 2.5.x branch, AFAIK. Also,
I've seen increasing activity on VIA's Linux forums (this issue has
surfaced a couple of times there as well), so there's hope VIA might
start working closer to the Linux community.

Aside from this, I've been using it daily at home, for all sorts of
things.

HTH,

Andre

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:40:52 +0200
DervishD <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all :))
>
> Is there any known bug or other issues about 2.4.19 that prevents
> it from being used in a production machine? I mean, I don't worry if
> the sound is broken or things like those, I mean if the IDE driver
> does 'things' and the like ;))
>
> I'm thinking about going to 2.4.19 or the latest -ac for 2.4.20.
>
> Thanks a lot :)
> Ra?l
> -
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to [email protected]

Andre Oliveira da Costa

2002-10-14 15:38:51

by DervishD

> subsystem doesn't get along too well with VIA chipsets (replaced my
> old mobo for a VT8233 based recently and probls started surfacing).

I have a VIA8363 (82C686B) AKA KT133/KM133, running perfectly
with 2.4.18 at the time. Will this be a problem with 2.4.19?

> Aside from this, I've been using it daily at home, for all sorts of
> things.

Thanks for your answer, Andre :))

Ra?l

2002-10-14 19:33:02

by Joseph N. Hall

> [...] I recently found out its IDE
> subsystem doesn't get along too well with VIA chipsets (replaced my old
> mobo for a VT8233 based recently and probls started surfacing).

Personally the best stability I've had lately is with 2.4.17.

I was never able to get IDE working right on my KT333 based Soyo
Dragon Ultra Platinum under 2.4.19 or later. Swapped it for
an iWill (ALi), but "I will" try the Soyo again later because
it's a nicer board ... I forget whether the problems went back
to 2.4.18 or not.

Also my dual CPU pIII box (ASUS CUV4X-DLS) freezes silently after
1-3 days uptime running a redhat style (modular) 2.4.18+ kernel.
I reverted to a mostly monolithic 2.4.17 and have > 1 week of uptime
... I will see sometime if a newer monolithic kernel will fly.

-joseph

2002-10-15 08:10:10

by DervishD

Hi Joseph :)

> Personally the best stability I've had lately is with 2.4.17.

Me not. Best stability I have with 2.4.18. 2.4.17 did something
with CD-recorder and the bus got stuck a couple of times. I suppose
that there is no great difference between 17 and 18.

> Also my dual CPU pIII box (ASUS CUV4X-DLS) freezes silently after
> 1-3 days uptime running a redhat style (modular) 2.4.18+ kernel.

Ooops, this is worse :(((

Thanks for your answer :))
Ra?l