2003-05-07 00:43:23

by Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky

Subject: RE: PATCH: Replace current->state with set_current_state in 2.5.6 8

> From: Gabriel Devenyi [mailto:[email protected]]
>
> This patch appies to 2.5.68 and replaces any remaining current->state
lines
> with set_current_state. This from the TODO list of Kernel Janitors.

http://muss.mcmaster.ca/~devenyga/patch-linux-2.5.68-set_current_state.patch

Some time ago I sent a patch doing this only on */fs/* [not the filesystem's
code, just the common stuff]. It was dismissed by Linus under
I-don't-know-what
-the-hell-reasons (it's very smart to dismiss something without reason,
gives
the original poster a very clear idea of what needs to be changed -
nevermind,
just being ironic).

However, I'd suggest to post this into the Kernel Janitors mailing list and
let one of the big guys there swipe it in.

Maybe Robert Love can provide more highlight.

I?aky P?rez-Gonz?lez -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
(and my fault)

2003-05-07 01:15:28

by Randy.Dunlap

On Tue, 6 May 2003 17:33:26 -0700 "Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky" <[email protected]> wrote:

| > From: Gabriel Devenyi [mailto:[email protected]]
| >
| > This patch appies to 2.5.68 and replaces any remaining current->state
| lines
| > with set_current_state. This from the TODO list of Kernel Janitors.
| >

| http://muss.mcmaster.ca/~devenyga/patch-linux-2.5.68-set_current_state.patch
|
| Some time ago I sent a patch doing this only on */fs/* [not the filesystem's
| code, just the common stuff]. It was dismissed by Linus under
| I-don't-know-what
| -the-hell-reasons (it's very smart to dismiss something without reason,
| gives
| the original poster a very clear idea of what needs to be changed -
| nevermind, just being ironic).
|
| However, I'd suggest to post this into the Kernel Janitors mailing list and
| let one of the big guys there swipe it in.
|
| Maybe Robert Love can provide more highlight.

Yes, the KJ list has already seen this patch and commented on some version
of it.

Folks, IMO for KJ work to be successful (merged) and rewarding, and for it
to continue, we need:

- TODO list updated with accurate descriptions of problems and expected
changes to fix them;
- a plan of attack for getting them merged;

We shouldn't just expect (for example) Gabriel's patch to be merged
on its own.

Even if Gabriel's patch is perfect, I don't expect that Linus will merge it,
esp. not now, but not even earlier in 2.5 days. For one thing, it's
176 KB, so it needs to be broken down by subsystem/driver/filesystem/etc.

Then it needs some exposure, like living in -ac or -mm or -pick1,
or at least some testing (everyday usage) by a few people, with reports
from them.

And I don't really want to review a 176 KB patch (although I did already
look over most of it a few days ago). Do people want to take portions
of it for review and then see about Alan merging it, e.g.?

--
~Randy

2003-05-07 01:49:37

by Gerrit Huizenga

On Tue, 06 May 2003 18:24:56 PDT, "Randy.Dunlap" wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 2003 17:33:26 -0700 "Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> | However, I'd suggest to post this into the Kernel Janitors mailing list and
> | let one of the big guys there swipe it in.
> |

> Yes, the KJ list has already seen this patch and commented on some version
> of it.

> Then it needs some exposure, like living in -ac or -mm or -pick1,
> or at least some testing (everyday usage) by a few people, with reports
> from them.
>
> And I don't really want to review a 176 KB patch (although I did already
> look over most of it a few days ago). Do people want to take portions
> of it for review and then see about Alan merging it, e.g.?

Hmm. Has anyone considered a "Kernel Janitor's" tree? More specifically,
a patch set, much like -ac or -mm, with the current cleanups so they
can be tested, pulled, run through automated batch testing, etc.?

gerrit

2003-05-07 01:54:48

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Em Tue, May 06, 2003 at 07:01:27PM -0700, Gerrit Huizenga escreveu:
> On Tue, 06 May 2003 18:24:56 PDT, "Randy.Dunlap" wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 6 May 2003 17:33:26 -0700 "Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > | However, I'd suggest to post this into the Kernel Janitors mailing list and
> > | let one of the big guys there swipe it in.
> > |

> > Yes, the KJ list has already seen this patch and commented on some version
> > of it.
>
> > Then it needs some exposure, like living in -ac or -mm or -pick1,
> > or at least some testing (everyday usage) by a few people, with reports
> > from them.
> >
> > And I don't really want to review a 176 KB patch (although I did already
> > look over most of it a few days ago). Do people want to take portions
> > of it for review and then see about Alan merging it, e.g.?
>
> Hmm. Has anyone considered a "Kernel Janitor's" tree? More specifically,
> a patch set, much like -ac or -mm, with the current cleanups so they
> can be tested, pulled, run through automated batch testing, etc.?

That is an interesting idea, I'll probably start one.

- Arnaldo

2003-05-07 09:22:51

by Paul Komkoff