2003-09-14 03:53:40

by Norman Diamond

Subject: 2.6.0-test5 vs. modem cards

When inserting a modem card, 2.6.0-test5 continues to have problems which
earlier 2.6.0-test versions had, which can be solved by booting 2.4.19.

In file 8250_cs.c:
Line 61, identifies itself as "serial_cs.c" instead of "8250_cs.c".
Line 119 identifies itself as "serial_cs" instead of "8250_cs".
My partial understanding of Linux PCMCIA operations yields a guess that line
119 is part of the cause for failure during execution, whereas line 61 only
potentially confuses future maintainers.

Later in the same source file, calls to register_serial() and
unregister_serial() compile but fail during execution. Of course in order
to make it execute in the first place I have to manually modprobe 8250_cs,
because of the reason mentioned above. /var/log/messages gets reports that
those symbols are unknown.

2003-09-14 08:19:27

by Russell King

Subject: Re: 2.6.0-test5 vs. modem cards

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:51:36PM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
> In file 8250_cs.c:
> Line 61, identifies itself as "serial_cs.c" instead of "8250_cs.c".
> Line 119 identifies itself as "serial_cs" instead of "8250_cs".
> My partial understanding of Linux PCMCIA operations yields a guess that line
> 119 is part of the cause for failure during execution, whereas line 61 only
> potentially confuses future maintainers.

Its going to get renamed back to serial_cs shortly.

> Later in the same source file, calls to register_serial() and
> unregister_serial() compile but fail during execution. Of course in order
> to make it execute in the first place I have to manually modprobe 8250_cs,
> because of the reason mentioned above. /var/log/messages gets reports that
> those symbols are unknown.

I have no idea how you managed that. The configuration subsystem does
not allow you to build 8250_cs.c as a module without building 8250.c in
some manner, and 8250.c provides those symbols.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/
Linux kernel maintainer of:

2003-09-14 10:45:49

by Norman Diamond

"Russell King" <[email protected]> replied to me:

> > In file 8250_cs.c:
>
> Its going to get renamed back to serial_cs shortly.

OK.

> > Later in the same source file, calls to register_serial() and
> > unregister_serial() compile but fail during execution. Of course in order
> > to make it execute in the first place I have to manually modprobe 8250_cs,
> > because of the reason mentioned above. /var/log/messages gets reports that
> > those symbols are unknown.
>
> I have no idea how you managed that. The configuration subsystem does
> not allow you to build 8250_cs.c as a module without building 8250.c in
> some manner, and 8250.c provides those symbols.

I built 8250.c as a module, but might have neglected to modprobe it. Since
a manual modprobe of 8250_cs also neglected to automatically modprobe its
dependency 8250, there might be breakage in modprobe, or this might just be
additional breakage in the naming of 8250 vs. serial.