2004-03-29 05:39:48

by Robert L. Harris

Subject: nbd-server?

I'm looking at messing with network block devices and found 2 "servers"
in the debian unstable tree. "nbd-server" and "enbd" (enhanced network
block device support). Is either one better than the other?

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

With Dreams To Be A King First One Should Be A Man
- Manowar

Attachments:
(No filename) (555.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Amit

Subject: Re: nbd-server?

Some of my friends were fiddling around with it some time back. AFAIR enbd
-server is a user level process were as nbd was in the kernel.

Quoting "Robert L. Harris" <[email protected]>:

> I'm looking at messing with network block devices and found 2 "servers"
> in the debian unstable tree. "nbd-server" and "enbd" (enhanced network
> block device support). Is either one better than the other?
>
> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
> @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
> These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.
>
> With Dreams To Be A King First One Should Be A Man
> - Manowar

2004-03-29 07:16:44

by Eric W. Biederman

"Robert L. Harris" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm looking at messing with network block devices and found 2 "servers"
> in the debian unstable tree. "nbd-server" and "enbd" (enhanced network
> block device support). Is either one better than the other?

nbd is simple and works. I have managed to at least oops both enbd
and drbd. They have more features but...

Eric

2004-03-29 17:07:32

by Barry K. Nathan

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:15:56AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> nbd is simple and works. I have managed to at least oops both enbd
> and drbd. They have more features but...

I hadn't heard of drbd before, but my experience with enbd has also been
worse than my experience with nbd.

-Barry K. Nathan <[email protected]>