2004-10-21 07:58:45

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Proposal: Desktop kernel bk tree/patchset.

Hi all.

I want to get some feedback. I'm considering making a tree/patchset
aimed at the desktop user: Linus kernel + PM, USB and so on patches,
Win4Lin patches and perhaps [I/O] scheduler improvements.

What do people think?

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

Everyone lives by faith. Some people just don't believe it.
Want proof? Try to prove that the theory of evolution is true.

2004-10-21 08:28:57

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

Subject: Re: Proposal: Desktop kernel bk tree/patchset.

On Oct 21, 2004, at 09:49, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I want to get some feedback. I'm considering making a tree/patchset
> aimed at the desktop user: Linus kernel + PM, USB and so on patches,
> Win4Lin patches and perhaps [I/O] scheduler improvements.
>
> What do people think?

I think it's a good idea. Maybe you should talk to Con to get some of
the patches in the -ck patchkit integrated in your tree.

2004-10-21 08:43:43

by Dumitru Ciobarcianu

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 17:49 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> I want to get some feedback. I'm considering making a tree/patchset
> aimed at the desktop user: Linus kernel + PM, USB and so on patches,
> Win4Lin patches and perhaps [I/O] scheduler improvements.

-ck maybe ? Last time I tried it was a tiny conflict between -ck and
swsusp2.

> What do people think?

I think taking the time to collect the patches and resolve all the
conflicts will be greatly appreciated.

Send me the url, I'll be bugging with bug reports :).

--
Cioby

2004-10-21 09:30:36

by Nick Piggin

Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I want to get some feedback. I'm considering making a tree/patchset
> aimed at the desktop user: Linus kernel + PM, USB and so on patches,
> Win4Lin patches and perhaps [I/O] scheduler improvements.
>
> What do people think?

I don't think it would be a really good idea to have an official tree
for desktop users. A staging area for desktop improvements, sure that
would be no problem. But if you really have some good improvements,
they should eventually get into the mainline kernel where you can
expect a pretty good (or not terribly bad) review and testing process.

On the other hand, I understand you're probably frustrated at the slow
pace and politics of getting more ambitious patches into the kernel.

I'd go for angle of aiming to get things into -mm. Andrew generally
doesn't mind brewing things up there, even if there is no clear path
for merging into 2.6 at the time... so long as they're pretty stable
and not going to cause rejects all over the tree, of course.

Just my two cents.

2004-10-21 11:06:49

by Alan

On Iau, 2004-10-21 at 08:49, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I want to get some feedback. I'm considering making a tree/patchset
> aimed at the desktop user: Linus kernel + PM, USB and so on patches,
> Win4Lin patches and perhaps [I/O] scheduler improvements.
>
> What do people think?

Can't do any harm on the whole. You might want to consult a lawyer
before distributing win4lin hooks merged with the kernel however

2004-10-21 13:38:01

by Diego Calleja

El Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:49:37 +1000 Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> escribi?:

> Hi all.
>
> I want to get some feedback. I'm considering making a tree/patchset
> aimed at the desktop user: Linus kernel + PM, USB and so on patches,
> Win4Lin patches and perhaps [I/O] scheduler improvements.
>
> What do people think?

What about the -ck patchset, which seems to be the "official" (read as:
"there aren't many others around") desktop kernel? It targets desktops and
it has been around for a while. It seems to have a largue user base, some
distros use it by default (like yoper).

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

2004-10-21 16:32:54

by Greg KH

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 05:49:37PM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> I want to get some feedback. I'm considering making a tree/patchset
> aimed at the desktop user: Linus kernel + PM, USB and so on patches,

What USB patches do you have that are not in the mainline kernel
already?

thanks,

greg k-h

2004-10-21 21:38:05

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 02:17, Greg KH wrote:
> What USB patches do you have that are not in the mainline kernel
> already?

None. I'm meaning pulling from your usb tree into it before changes get
into Linus' tree, so improvements to PM support can get testing in the
proposed tree as well.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker
Christian Reformed Church of Tuggeranong
PO Box 1004, Tuggeranong, ACT 2901

Everyone lives by faith. Some people just don't believe it.
Want proof? Try to prove that the theory of evolution is true.

2004-10-21 21:46:51

by Greg KH

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 07:23:49AM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 02:17, Greg KH wrote:
> > What USB patches do you have that are not in the mainline kernel
> > already?
>
> None. I'm meaning pulling from your usb tree into it before changes get
> into Linus' tree, so improvements to PM support can get testing in the
> proposed tree as well.

Then why stop at USB? Why not pci, i2c and driver core bk pulls too?
Continue down that path and you've duplicated the -mm tree :)

Good luck,

greg k-h

2004-10-21 22:03:53

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 07:41, Greg KH wrote:
> Then why stop at USB? Why not pci, i2c and driver core bk pulls too?
> Continue down that path and you've duplicated the -mm tree :)

I was only thinking of USB because that's one of the areas at the
forefront of my mind at the moment: USB support doesn't work well with
suspending to disk yet.

That said, you're right, I should probably look at the others too. Don't
want to duplicate -mm though!

It's only a proposal :>

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker
Christian Reformed Church of Tuggeranong
PO Box 1004, Tuggeranong, ACT 2901

Everyone lives by faith. Some people just don't believe it.
Want proof? Try to prove that the theory of evolution is true.

2004-10-21 21:32:55

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 19:26, Nick Piggin wrote:
> I don't think it would be a really good idea to have an official tree
> for desktop users. A staging area for desktop improvements, sure that
> would be no problem. But if you really have some good improvements,
> they should eventually get into the mainline kernel where you can
> expect a pretty good (or not terribly bad) review and testing process.

Yeah; I'm thinking more a staging area where people who use Linux for
desktop work (as I do) can bang on the PM support and other enhancements
they'd be after. Not an end in itself.

> On the other hand, I understand you're probably frustrated at the slow
> pace and politics of getting more ambitious patches into the kernel.

Actually, I'm not at all. The slowness in merging suspend2 has so far
been because I've been putting lots of work into trying to get
everything neater and tidier, so I only have myself to blame there :>.
I'm hoping to begin another round of posting patches shortly, hopefully
this time including the substance of the patches.

> I'd go for angle of aiming to get things into -mm. Andrew generally
> doesn't mind brewing things up there, even if there is no clear path
> for merging into 2.6 at the time... so long as they're pretty stable
> and not going to cause rejects all over the tree, of course.

Yes, I'm aiming for -mm. Stability isn't a problem, and it touches a lot
less of the tree than it used to: the main changes now are refrigerator
improvements and hooks.

> Just my two cents.

Appreciated!

Nigel