2005-03-14 07:28:26

by Jan De Luyck

Subject: cpufreq on-demand governor up_treshold?

Hello lists,

(please cc me from cpufreq list)

I've since yesterday started using the ondemand governor. Seems to work fine,
tho I can't seem to find a reason why it keeps scaling my processor speed
upwards tho the processor use never exceeds 30% (been watching top -d 1).

I've been using the powernowd daemon and the userspace governor previously,
which doesn't seem to have this problem, even if i set it at the same
sampling rates as the ondemand governor.

The settings in /sys/.../ondemand are default.

Any hints?

Thanks.
--
Women aren't as mere as they used to be.
-- Pogo

2005-03-14 07:58:33

by Éric Piel

Subject: Re: cpufreq on-demand governor up_treshold?

Jan De Luyck a ?crit :
> Hello lists,
>
> (please cc me from cpufreq list)
>
> I've since yesterday started using the ondemand governor. Seems to work fine,
> tho I can't seem to find a reason why it keeps scaling my processor speed
> upwards tho the processor use never exceeds 30% (been watching top -d 1).
:
:
> Any hints?
You can try the three attached patches in the order :
ondemand-cleanup-factorise-idle-measurement-2.6.11.patch
ondemand-save-idle-up-for-all-cpu-2.6.11.patch
ondemand-automatic-downscaling-2.6.11-accepted.patch

They are available on the cpufreq list but as it's difficult to access
it I'm sending them again, all together. These are the last things that
Venki and I have been working on. It should solve your problem
(actually, only the last patch, but it depends on the two previous
patches). Please, let me know if it works.

BTW, DaveJ, Dominik, I couldn't find them in the daily-snapshot
available at codemonkey.org.uk. Should I worry, or is it just due to
some latency between your private trees and the public one?

Eric

Attachments:
ondemand-automatic-downscaling-2.6.11-accepted.patch (4.89 kB)
ondemand-cleanup-factorise-idle-measurement-2.6.11.patch (2.43 kB)
ondemand-save-idle-up-for-all-cpu-2.6.11.patch (587.00 B)

by Bruno Ducrot

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:57:52AM +0100, Eric Piel wrote:
> BTW, DaveJ, Dominik, I couldn't find them in the daily-snapshot
> available at codemonkey.org.uk. Should I worry, or is it just due to
> some latency between your private trees and the public one?

This happens those days only when I upgrade the LINUX_2_4 branch
(and only because its easier for me to diff between HEAD and LINUX_2_4).

--
Bruno Ducrot

-- Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
-- Don't know. Don't care.

2005-03-14 12:40:20

by Jan De Luyck

On Monday 14 March 2005 08:57, Eric Piel wrote:
> Jan De Luyck a ?crit :
> > Hello lists,
> >
> > (please cc me from cpufreq list)
> >
> > I've since yesterday started using the ondemand governor. Seems to work
> > fine, tho I can't seem to find a reason why it keeps scaling my processor
> > speed upwards tho the processor use never exceeds 30% (been watching top
> > -d 1).
> >

> > Any hints?
>
> You can try the three attached patches in the order :
> ondemand-cleanup-factorise-idle-measurement-2.6.11.patch
> ondemand-save-idle-up-for-all-cpu-2.6.11.patch
> ondemand-automatic-downscaling-2.6.11-accepted.patch
>
> They are available on the cpufreq list but as it's difficult to access
> it I'm sending them again, all together. These are the last things that
> Venki and I have been working on. It should solve your problem
> (actually, only the last patch, but it depends on the two previous
> patches). Please, let me know if it works.

Okay, now the behaviour of the ondemand governor looks more 'sane'. Thanks, it
looks like a huge improvement :)

Jan

--
Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore
them long enough.

2005-03-14 22:45:54

by Dominik Brodowski

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:57:52AM +0100, Eric Piel wrote:
> BTW, DaveJ, Dominik, I couldn't find them in the daily-snapshot
> available at codemonkey.org.uk. Should I worry, or is it just due to
> some latency between your private trees and the public one?

/me has no official position wrt cpufreq core [except userspace
cpufrequtils, but I intend to hand this over to somebody else in the next
few months].

Dave, as maintainer of cpufreq, has a cpufreq bitkeeper tree [http interface
at http://linux-dj.bkbits.net/ ] which is exported as plain diff daily at
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/cpufreq/daily-snapshots/ . This does
not contain your patches yet, probably because he's still busy with other
stuff.

Thanks,
Dominik

2005-05-11 01:33:44

by Dave Jones

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:57:52AM +0100, Eric Piel wrote:
> Jan De Luyck a ?crit :
> >Hello lists,
> >
> >(please cc me from cpufreq list)
> >
> >I've since yesterday started using the ondemand governor. Seems to work
> >fine, tho I can't seem to find a reason why it keeps scaling my processor
> >speed upwards tho the processor use never exceeds 30% (been watching top
> >-d 1).
> :
> :
> >Any hints?
> You can try the three attached patches in the order :
> ondemand-cleanup-factorise-idle-measurement-2.6.11.patch
> ondemand-save-idle-up-for-all-cpu-2.6.11.patch
> ondemand-automatic-downscaling-2.6.11-accepted.patch
>
> They are available on the cpufreq list but as it's difficult to access
> it I'm sending them again, all together. These are the last things that
> Venki and I have been working on. It should solve your problem
> (actually, only the last patch, but it depends on the two previous
> patches). Please, let me know if it works.
>
> BTW, DaveJ, Dominik, I couldn't find them in the daily-snapshot
> available at codemonkey.org.uk. Should I worry, or is it just due to
> some latency between your private trees and the public one?

I'm preparing the first cpufreq->linus sync right now.
Can you write up some descriptions & signed-off-by: lines for
these three please ?

Thanks,
Dave