2007-10-13 17:10:33

by vignesh babu bm

Subject: wierd file perms

Hi all,

Was having trouble with the latest source-in compiling it and did an
mrproper which fixed things...well-temporarily.

I was hitting another issue with permissions-as root :(

I was surprised and did an ls -l on the files and guess what I found:

total 0
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs

So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
or ownership even as root.

Can some one help please?

How did this even happen?

I could compile without any issues till yesterday and todays update
seems to have caused this...

Not really sure if it is just a local phenomenon....

"Why is it that every time I'm with you, makes me believe in magic?"

2007-10-13 17:56:11

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

Subject: Re: wierd file perms

On Sat, 2007-10-13 22:40:23 +0530, vignesh babu <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was surprised and did an ls -l on the files and guess what I found:
>
> total 0
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs
>
> So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
> or ownership even as root.

Most probably, your filesystem is broken and needs a fsck.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] +49-172-7608481
Signature of: Zensur im Internet? Nein danke!

Attachments:
(No filename) (753.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Bauke Jan Douma

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote on 13-10-07 19:28:
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 22:40:23 +0530, vignesh babu <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I was surprised and did an ls -l on the files and guess what I found:
>>
>> total 0
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs
>>
>> So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
>> or ownership even as root.
>
> Most probably, your filesystem is broken and needs a fsck.
>
> MfG, JBG

I don't think this is a bug, but a feature of 'ls', see for instance
the coreutils mailing list:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2007-05/msg00226.html

bjd

2007-10-14 12:42:52

by Jan Engelhardt

On Oct 14 2007 14:30, Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-10-13 22:40:23 +0530, vignesh babu <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> > I was surprised and did an ls -l on the files and guess what I found:
>> >
>> > total 0
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs
>> >
>> > So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
>> > or ownership even as root.
>>
>> Most probably, your filesystem is broken and needs a fsck.
>
> I don't think this is a bug, but a feature of 'ls', see for instance
> the coreutils mailing list:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2007-05/msg00226.html

- broken on-disk fs
- you are not allowed to stat() -- which can only reasonably happen
with FUSE or remote filesystems
- ls also outputs ?--------- if the file mode does not make sense,
though as we can see, UID/GID nlink, etc. are also missing, so I suspect
item 2.

2007-10-14 13:27:44

by Mark Lord

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 22:40:23 +0530, vignesh babu <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I was surprised and did an ls -l on the files and guess what I found:
>>
>> total 0
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
>> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs
>>
>> So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
>> or ownership even as root.
>
> Most probably, your filesystem is broken and needs a fsck.

No, this is perfectly normal behaviour, for when a directory
has READ permissions but not EXECUTE permissions.

Eg.

mkdir a
touch a/b
chmod 644 a
ls -l a

Try it!

Cheers

2007-10-14 13:29:16

by Mark Lord

vignesh babu wrote:
..
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
> ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs
>
> So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
> or ownership even as root.
>
> Can some one help please?

chmod a+x name_of_directory

Now you can do "ls -l" and "rm" or whatever.

2007-10-14 13:31:21

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Sun, 2007-10-14 09:29:01 -0400, Mark Lord <[email protected]> wrote:
> vignesh babu wrote:
> ..
> >?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
> >?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
> >?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
> >?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
> >?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs
> >
> >So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
> >or ownership even as root.
> >
> >Can some one help please?
>
> chmod a+x name_of_directory
>
> Now you can do "ls -l" and "rm" or whatever.

*cough* The original mail you're replying to had this inside:

> > I was hitting another issue with permissions-as root :(

I really think he better starts a fsck... Soon.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] +49-172-7608481
Signature of: Wenn ich wach bin, träume ich.

Attachments:
(No filename) (986.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Jan Engelhardt

On Oct 14 2007 09:27, Mark Lord wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-10-13 22:40:23 +0530, vignesh babu <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> > I was surprised and did an ls -l on the files and guess what I found:
>> >
>> > total 0
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fcntl.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? fifo.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? filesystems.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? file_table.c
>> > ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? freevxfs
>> >
>> > So end result is that, Im not able to delete the files or change perms
>> > or ownership even as root.
>>
>> Most probably, your filesystem is broken and needs a fsck.
>
> No, this is perfectly normal behaviour, for when a directory
> has READ permissions but not EXECUTE permissions.

Er, close.

16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > md a
16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > touch a/b
16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > chmod 644 a
16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > ls -l a
/bin/ls: cannot access a/b: Permission denied
total 0
-????????? ? ? ? ? ? b
16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 6.9

There is a difference .. "-?????????" vs "?---------".

The first looks to me like "filetype known (S_IFREG)",
while the latter is "filetype and mode unknown".

2007-10-14 20:02:00

by Mark Lord

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Oct 14 2007 09:27, Mark Lord wrote:
>> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

>>> Most probably, your filesystem is broken and needs a fsck.
>> No, this is perfectly normal behaviour, for when a directory
>> has READ permissions but not EXECUTE permissions.
>
> Er, close.
>
> 16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > md a
> 16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > touch a/b
> 16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > chmod 644 a
> 16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > ls -l a
> /bin/ls: cannot access a/b: Permission denied
> total 0
> -????????? ? ? ? ? ? b
> 16:02 ichi:/dev/shm > ls --version
> ls (GNU coreutils) 6.9
>

> There is a difference .. "-?????????" vs "?---------".

That's just a version difference for GNU ls.
Here, with ls (GNU coreutils) 5.97 it gives this:

2007-10-15 01:29:30

by vignesh babu bm

ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 5.97

An fsck did it :) and had the source restored by checkout -f

Think Jan is right, there is a diff between the two...