2002-07-10 14:18:06

by Guillaume Boissiere

Subject: [STATUS 2.5] July 10, 2002

Check out http://www.kernelnewbies.org/status/ for the latest kernel
status update.

Many link changes this week to reflect new URLs for several projects.
Also removed some URLs that were not very useful or pointing to patches
through the Bitkeeper Web interface that kept changing (I think the
Bitmover team is working on a fix - I'll put them back when that's
done).

Finally, on the cleanup side, I am planning on removing the following
entries that have been submitted a while back and don't look like
there are going to be accepted for inclusion anytime soon:
- Better event logging for enterprise systems
- Linux booting ELF images
- First pass at LinuxBIOS support
- Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)
- Scalable CPU bitmasks

Also on the planned deletion list:
- Add thrashing control
- Generic parameter/command line interface

As usual, feedback welcome!
Enjoy,

-- Guillaume

----------------------------------
Linux Kernel 2.5 Status - July 10th, 2002
(Latest kernel release is 2.5.25)

Features:

Merged
o in 2.5.1+ Rewrite of the block IO (bio) layer (Jens Axboe)
o in 2.5.2 Initial support for USB 2.0 (David Brownell, Greg
Kroah-Hartman, etc.)
o in 2.5.2 Per-process namespaces, late-boot cleanups (Al Viro, Manfred
Spraul)
o in 2.5.2+ New scheduler for improved scalability (Ingo Molnar)
o in 2.5.2+ New kernel device structure (kdev_t) (Linus Torvalds, etc.)
o in 2.5.3 IDE layer update (Andre Hedrick)
o in 2.5.3 Support reiserfs external journal (Reiserfs team)
o in 2.5.3 Generic ACL (Access Control List) support (Nathan Scott)
o in 2.5.3 PnP BIOS driver (Alan Cox, Thomas
Hood, Dave Jones, etc.)
o in 2.5.3+ New driver model & unified device tree (Patrick Mochel)
o in 2.5.4 Add preempt kernel option (Robert Love,
MontaVista team)
o in 2.5.4 Support for Next Generation POSIX Threading (NGPT team)
o in 2.5.4+ Porting all input devices over to input API (Vojtech Pavlik,
James Simmons)
o in 2.5.5 Add ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) (ALSA team)
o in 2.5.5 Pagetables in highmem support (Ingo Molnar, Arjan
van de Ven)
o in 2.5.5 New architecture: AMD 64-bit (x86-64) (Andi Kleen, x86-64
Linux team)
o in 2.5.5 New architecture: PowerPC 64-bit (ppc64) (Anton Blanchard,
ppc64 team)
o in 2.5.5+ IDE subsystem rewrite (Martin Dalecki)
o in 2.5.6 Add JFS (Journaling FileSystem from IBM) (JFS team)
o in 2.5.6 per_cpu infrastructure (Rusty Russell)
o in 2.5.6 HDLC (High-level Data Link Control) update (Krzysztof Halasa)
o in 2.5.6 smbfs Unicode and large file support (Urban Widmark)
o in 2.5.7 New driver API for Wireless Extensions (Jean Tourrilhes)
o in 2.5.7 Video for Linux (V4L) redesign (Gerd Knorr)
o in 2.5.7 Futexes (Fast Lightweight Userspace Semaphores) (Rusty Russell, etc.)
o in 2.5.7+ NAPI network interrupt mitigation (Jamal Hadi Salim,
Robert Olsson, Alexey Kuznetsov)
o in 2.5.7+ ACPI (Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) (Andy Grover, ACPI
team)
o in 2.5.8 Syscall interface for CPU task affinity (Robert Love)
o in 2.5.8 Radix-tree pagecache (Momchil Velikov,
Christoph Hellwig)
o in 2.5.8+ Delayed disk block allocation (Andrew Morton)
o in 2.5.9 Smarter IRQ balancing (Ingo Molnar)
o in 2.5.11 Replace old NTFS driver with NTFS TNG driver (Anton Altaparmakov)
o in 2.5.11 Fast walk dcache (Hanna Linder)
o in 2.5.11+ Rewrite of the framebuffer layer (James Simmons)
o in 2.5.12+ Rewrite of the buffer layer (Andrew Morton)
o in 2.5.14 Support for IDE TCQ (Tagged Command Queueing) (Jens Axboe)
o in 2.5.14 Bluetooth support (no longer experimental!) (Maxim Krasnyansky,
Bluetooth team)
o in 2.5.17 New quota system supporting plugins (Jan Kara)
o in 2.5.17+ Move ISDN4Linux to CAPI based interface (Kai Germaschewski,
ISDN4Linux team)
o in 2.5.18 Software suspend (to disk & RAM) (Pavel Machek)
o in 2.5.23 More complete IEEE 802.2 stack (Arnaldo, Jay
Schullist, from Procom donated code)
o in 2.5.23+ Hotplug CPU support (Rusty Russell)

o in -dj Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
o in -dj New MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) driver (Patrick Mochel)
o in -dj Add support for CPU clock/voltage scaling (Erik Mouw, Dave
Jones, Russell King, Arjan van de Ven)
o in -ac Strict address space accounting (Alan Cox)
o in -ac PCMCIA Zoom video support (Alan Cox)
o in -ac More complete NetBEUI stack (Arnaldo Carvalho de
Melo, from Procom donated code)
o in -ac Improved i2o (Intelligent Input/Ouput) layer (Alan Cox)

o Ready Better event logging for enterprise systems (Larry Kessler, evlog
team)
o Ready Linux booting ELF images (Eric Biederman)
o Ready First pass at LinuxBIOS support (Eric Biederman)
o Ready Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
o Ready New kernel build system (kbuild 2.5) (Keith Owens)
o Ready Read-Copy Update Mutual Exclusion (Dipankar Sarma,
Rusty Russell, Andrea Arcangeli, LSE Team)
o Ready USB gadget support (Stuart Lynne, Greg
Kroah-Hartman)
o Ready Scalable CPU bitmasks (Russ Weight)
o Ready Add hardware sensors drivers (lm_sensors team)

o Beta Serial driver restructure (Russell King)
o Beta New IO scheduler (Jens Axboe)
o Beta Add XFS (A journaling filesystem from SGI) (XFS team)
o Beta New VM with reverse mappings (Rik van Riel)
o Beta Fix long-held locks for low scheduling latency (Andrew Morton,
Robert Love, etc.)
o Beta Add Linux Security Module (LSM) (LSM team)
o Beta Per-mountpoint read-only, union-mounts, unionfs (Al Viro)
o Beta EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) (EVMS team)
o Beta LVM (Logical Volume Manager) v2.0 (LVM team)
o Beta Dynamic Probes (Suparna
Bhattacharya, dprobes team)
o Beta Page table sharing (Daniel Phillips)
o Beta ext2/ext3 online resize support (Andreas Dilger)
o Beta Add User-Mode Linux (UML) (Jeff Dike)
o Beta UDF Write support for CD-R/RW (packet writing) (Jens Axboe, Peter
Osterlund)
o Beta Asynchronous IO (aio) support (Ben LaHaise)
o Beta Direct pagecache <-> BIO disk I/O (Andrew Morton)

o Alpha Better support of high-end NUMA machines (NUMA team)
o Alpha Full compliance with IPv6 (Alexey Kuznetzov,
Jun Murai, Yoshifuji Hideaki, USAGI team)
o Alpha UMSDOS (Unix under MS-DOS) Rewrite (Al Viro)
o Alpha Scalable Statistics Counter (Ravikiran Thirumalai)
o Alpha Linux Kernel Crash Dumps (Matt Robinson, LKCD
team)
o Alpha Add support for NFS v4 (NFS v4 team)
o Alpha ext2/ext3 large directory support: HTree index (Daniel Phillips,
Christopher Li, Ted Ts'o)
o Alpha Remove use of the BKL (Big Kernel Lock) (Alan Cox, Robert
Love, Neil Brown, Dave Hansen, etc.)
o Alpha Zerocopy NFS (Hirokazu Takahashi)
o Alpha Change all drivers to new driver model (All maintainers)
o Alpha Remove the 2TB block device limit (Peter Chubb)
o Alpha SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol) (lksctp team)

o Started Overhaul PCMCIA support (David Woodhouse,
David Hinds)
o Started Reiserfs v4 (Reiserfs team)
o Started Serial ATA support (Andre Hedrick)
o Started InfiniBand support (InfiniBand team)
* Started Fix device naming issues (Patrick Mochel, Greg
Kroah-Hartman)

o Draft #2 New lightweight library (klibc) (Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o Draft #3 Replace initrd by initramfs (H. Peter Anvin, Al
Viro)
o Planning Add thrashing control (Rik van Riel)
o Planning Remove all hardwired drivers from kernel (Alan Cox, etc.)
o Planning Generic parameter/command line interface (Keith Owens)
o Planning New mount API (Al Viro)

Cleanups:

Merged
o in 2.5.3 Break Configure.help into multiple files (Linus Torvalds)
o in 2.5.3 Untangle sched.h & fs.h include dependancies (Dave Jones, Roman
Zippel)
o in 2.5.4 Per network protocol slabcache & sock.h (Arnaldo Carvalho de
Melo)
o in 2.5.4 Per filesystem slabcache & fs.h (Daniel Phillips,
Jeff Garzik, Al Viro)
o in 2.5.6 Killing kdev_t for block devices (Al Viro)
o in 2.5.18+ ->getattr() ->setattr() ->permission() changes (Al Viro)
o in 2.5.21 Split up x86 setup.c into managable pieces (Patrick Mochel)
o in 2.5.23+ Major MD tool (RAID 5) cleanup (Neil Brown)

o Ready Switch to ->get_super() for file_system_type (Al Viro)

o Beta file.h and INIT_TASK (Benjamin LaHaise)
o Beta Proper UFS fixes, ext2 and locking cleanups (Al Viro)
o Beta Lifting limitations on mount(2) (Al Viro)
o Beta Remove dcache_lock (Maneesh Soni, IBM
team)

o Started Reorder x86 initialization (Dave Jones, Randy
Dunlap)

Have some free time and want to help? Check out the Kernel Janitor
TO DO list for a list of source code cleanups you can work on.
A great place to start learning more about kernel internals!

2002-07-10 15:57:38

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: [STATUS 2.5] July 10, 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:

> Also on the planned deletion list:
> - Add thrashing control

I've had the mechanism working for well over a year now, but
still don't have a proper policy for load control implemented.

> o Beta New VM with reverse mappings (Rik van Riel)

This is (in limited form) ready for merging and has been
stability tested by Andrew Morton. A patch should go to
Linus soon...

kind regards,

Rik

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:

> Finally, on the cleanup side, I am planning on removing the following
> entries that have been submitted a while back and don't look like
> there are going to be accepted for inclusion anytime soon:
> - Better event logging for enterprise systems
> - Linux booting ELF images
> - First pass at LinuxBIOS support
> - Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)
> - Scalable CPU bitmasks

Are there any reasons why these don't make it into 2.5?

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.

2002-07-10 16:28:27

by Thunder from the hill

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Are there any reasons why these don't make it into 2.5?
>
> > - Better event logging for enterprise systems

Linus was scared we could break old syslog parsers.

> > - Linux booting ELF images

Reason unknown. I expect some statement here.

> > - First pass at LinuxBIOS support

Possibly no one had one? I have some boxes running prettily on LinuxBIOS,
can't imagine why it isn't merged into 2.5. But I can't imagine what's
speaking against KBuild-2.5 either. I can speak it, I love it.

> > - Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)

Nobody seemed to be interested in this toolkit. The (s|l)trace toolkit and
kdb seemed to be sufficient for the most developers. (I don't whine here
either.)

> > - Scalable CPU bitmasks

Seems they got lost.

Regards,
Thunder
--
(Use http://www.ebb.org/ungeek if you can't decode)

2002-07-10 16:49:53

by Roman Zippel

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Thunder from the hill wrote:

> > > - Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)
>
> Nobody seemed to be interested in this toolkit. The (s|l)trace toolkit and
> kdb seemed to be sufficient for the most developers. (I don't whine here
> either.)

???
Have you actually tried it? I can only encourage everyone to try it and
play a bit with it. It's a great debug tool and it can't be replaced by
any of the mentioned tools. It's very useful in situations where printk
doesn't work anymore.

bye, Roman

2002-07-10 16:51:32

by Alan

> > > - Better event logging for enterprise systems
> Linus was scared we could break old syslog parsers.

This is still in discussion. The real issue is not breaking syslog parsers
(in fact its a way to make sure they dont break in future) but to get

- Accurate reporting
- Error classifications
- Error manuals
- Translations
etc

done in a way that doesnt make the kernel ugly. Thats non trivial. I need
to schedule a discussion with some IBM folks about part of this

Alan

2002-07-10 16:51:04

by Karim Yaghmour

Thunder from the hill wrote:
> > > - Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)
>
> Nobody seemed to be interested in this toolkit. The (s|l)trace toolkit and
> kdb seemed to be sufficient for the most developers. (I don't whine here
> either.)

It's somewhat unfair to compare LTT to s/ltrace or kdb because they
don't serve the same purposes. The other thread on "Enhanced profiling"
should have made this very clear by now.

I've spoken to many key kernel developers about this and they all saw
its inclusion as being positive, but they also all said the same thing:
it's really Linus' decision.

In light of the recent discussions, it would be really nice to get a
definitive statement about LTT's inclusion in 2.5.

Cheers,

Karim

Karim Yaghmour
[email protected]
Embedded and Real-Time Linux Expert

by Thunder from the hill

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Have you actually tried it? I can only encourage everyone to try it and
> play a bit with it. It's a great debug tool and it can't be replaced by
> any of the mentioned tools. It's very useful in situations where printk
> doesn't work anymore.

It might not have been noticed publicly, since no one showed interest in
it...

Regards,
Thunder
--
(Use http://www.ebb.org/ungeek if you can't decode)

2002-07-10 17:12:25

by Patrick Mochel

> Also on the planned deletion list:

> - Generic parameter/command line interface

This isn't dead at all. Rusty and I talked about this at the kernel
summit, and there was no loud verbal dissention (that I remember).

Unfortunately, progress has been temporarily hampered by a few things,
like the factd that the people that this type of stuff actually turns on
are few in number, and distracted by several other projects...

-pat

2002-07-10 17:22:40

by John Levon

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:54:49PM -0400, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

> In light of the recent discussions, it would be really nice to get a
> definitive statement about LTT's inclusion in 2.5.

It has been pointed out to you at least once that it would stand a much
better chance if you were to follow the kernel coding style, for one ...

And things like :

+#ifndef CONFIG_SMP /* On an SMP machine NMIs are used to implement a watchdog and will hang
+ the machine if traced. */
+ TRACE_TRAP_ENTRY(2, regs->eip);
+#endif
+

aren't very encouraging.

just my 2p
john

--
"I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing"
- Manic Street Preachers

2002-07-10 17:40:14

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Em Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:11:08AM -0400, Guillaume Boissiere escreveu:
> o in -ac More complete NetBEUI stack (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
> from Procom donated code)

Not really, still not submitted.

- Arnaldo

2002-07-10 17:43:52

by Perches, Joe

While I understand the possible value, are printk translations
really important enough to justify?

Do we really need to have the equivalent of:
printk(tr("Context string %s: %d"),tr("some string"),value);
translate/lookups? Why? If so, is this facility supposed to be
run-time or compile-time?

Unfortunately, I missed the RAS BOF at OLS, so I don't know
what was discussed. Some of these were audio recorded.
Anyone know of the audio repository location? Can't find any of
the 2001 or 2002 sessions on the symposium website.