2022-01-03 19:53:40

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [Regression] md/raid1: write-intent logging/bitmap issue since fd3b6975e9c1 - v5.16-rc1

[ Jens wasn't cc'd for some reason but was the signer-off-on the patch
you bisected to. Added him to the cc. I'll bounce the original
separately, as I also don't see this on lore.kernel.org - it might not
have gotten there yet ]

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:30 AM Norbert Warmuth <[email protected]> wrote:

> Please verify and either revert or fixup fd3b6975e9c1 if my analysis is
> correct.

Can you check if moving the WriteMostly bit to the "do behind I/O?"
section fixes things for you?

IOW, something like the attached patch..

Warning: This is very much a "Money see, monkey do" patch. I'm not
really familiar with the raid1 code ]

But yeah, if you see corruption and there isn't an absolutely trivial
fix for this, we should revert.

Linus

Attachments:
patch.diff (816.00 B)

2022-01-03 21:59:31

by Song Liu

> On Jan 3, 2022, at 11:53 AM, Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [ Jens wasn't cc'd for some reason but was the signer-off-on the patch
> you bisected to. Added him to the cc. I'll bounce the original
> separately, as I also don't see this on lore.kernel.org - it might not
> have gotten there yet ]
>
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:30 AM Norbert Warmuth <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Please verify and either revert or fixup fd3b6975e9c1 if my analysis is
>> correct.
>
> Can you check if moving the WriteMostly bit to the "do behind I/O?"
> section fixes things for you?
>
> IOW, something like the attached patch..
>
> Warning: This is very much a "Money see, monkey do" patch. I'm not
> really familiar with the raid1 code ]
>
> But yeah, if you see corruption and there isn't an absolutely trivial
> fix for this, we should revert.
>
> Linus
> <patch.diff>

I can confirm this patch fixes the issue. I will send pull request with
the fix shortly.

Thanks,
Song

2022-01-04 04:26:06

by Jens Axboe

On 1/3/22 11:53 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> [ Jens wasn't cc'd for some reason but was the signer-off-on the patch
> you bisected to. Added him to the cc. I'll bounce the original
> separately, as I also don't see this on lore.kernel.org - it might not
> have gotten there yet ]

Thanks for adding me in, Song took care of it now. Will get sent out
shortly.

--
Jens Axboe