2001-10-19 22:25:20

by Earle Nietzel

Subject: Virtual Wire v.s. APIC

Under the new 2.4.x series kernel, should you use the APIC mode?

Or do you have to continue using the Virtual Wire mode?

Thanks for any answers...

P.S. I am only participating on the linux-smp so any linux-kernel replies
please forward me a copy, thanx.

by Martin Devera

Subject: DOT call graphs of Rik and AA VMs

Hi,

While I tried to understand MM in 2.4 kernels I decided to create call
graph of it (in DOT). It could help everyone who tries to understand it.

At least they are very nice :) You can also see difference in complexity
of both VMs.

http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm

Enjoy. devik

2001-10-19 23:49:02

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: DOT call graphs of Rik and AA VMs

Martin Devera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I tried to understand MM in 2.4 kernels I decided to create call
> graph of it (in DOT). It could help everyone who tries to understand it.
>
> At least they are very nice :) You can also see difference in complexity
> of both VMs.
>
> http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm

Oh my that is cute. Will you be publishing the gcc patch
and perl script sometime?

2001-10-20 03:35:37

by Daniel Phillips

On October 20, 2001 01:45 am, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Martin Devera wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > While I tried to understand MM in 2.4 kernels I decided to create call
> > graph of it (in DOT). It could help everyone who tries to understand it.
> >
> > At least they are very nice :) You can also see difference in complexity
> > of both VMs.
> >
> > http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm
> >

> Oh my that is cute. Will you be publishing the gcc patch
> and perl script sometime?

Oh yes, it's really lovely. An great starting point for reverse-enginee^W^W
understanding both VM designs.

--
Daniel

2001-10-20 07:34:20

by Martin Devera

> > While I tried to understand MM in 2.4 kernels I decided to create call
> > graph of it (in DOT). It could help everyone who tries to understand it.
> >
> > At least they are very nice :) You can also see difference in complexity
> > of both VMs.
> >
> > http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm
> >

> Oh my that is cute. Will you be publishing the gcc patch
> and perl script sometime?

Yeah I will probably at Sunday. Now I have to hurry to prepare
our wedding.
devik

2001-10-20 07:38:20

by Martin Devera

> > While I tried to understand MM in 2.4 kernels I decided to create call
> > graph of it (in DOT). It could help everyone who tries to understand it.
> >
> > At least they are very nice :) You can also see difference in complexity
> > of both VMs.
> >
> > http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm
> >
> > Enjoy. devik
>
> Do it for the FreeBSD VM system too if you can... ;-)

I have never seen bsd sources so it would take too many
time to undestand its structure probably. But I will
release patches and you can do it :)

devik

2001-10-21 17:46:11

by Martin Devera

Subject: [UPDATE] Re: DOT call graphs of Rik and AA VMs

> > Hi,
> >
> > While I tried to understand MM in 2.4 kernels I decided to create call
> > graph of it (in DOT). It could help everyone who tries to understand it.
> >
> > At least they are very nice :) You can also see difference in complexity
> > of both VMs.
> >
> > http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm
> >

> Oh my that is cute. Will you be publishing the gcc patch
> and perl script sometime?

There are sources and various notes (printing) on site mentioned above.
There is idea of dynamic generator for all kernels too.

Enjoy. devik

2001-10-21 17:49:11

by Martin Devera

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> These print out badly (just get about 1/4), and get the same viewing in
> ghostscript ... any chance you can make the postscript scale to fit a page?
> Not sure if that's possible from DOT ... or is the method you used to
> generate these available?

At http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm is update. Actualy dot can't scale
it. You can do it yourself (several postscript lines) or try psutils.

Given high enough demand I'll create script which will scale it
automatically for printer.
devik

2001-10-21 17:56:51

by M. Edward Borasky

I tried to import the "ps" files into Acrobat 5.0 on my Windows system and
it cut them off to a single 8" by 10.5" page.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
http://www.borasky-research.net

Q: How do you tell when a pineapple is ready to eat?

by Martin Devera

Yes it will. As I said the dot makes too big pages. It is described
in its man page section bugs.
Did you applied the patch I posted now ? It should make it
printable.
Probably I should post print-ready version of these pages, shouldn't I ?
devik

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, M. Edward Borasky wrote:

> I tried to import the "ps" files into Acrobat 5.0 on my Windows system and
> it cut them off to a single 8" by 10.5" page.
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
> http://www.borasky-research.net
> mailto:[email protected]
>
> Q: How do you tell when a pineapple is ready to eat?
> A: It picks up its knife and fork.

by Martin Devera

Hello Edward,

I updated both PS files so that they should print on A4. Try
do redownload them (probably with holding Shift in IE to bypass
cache) and print.
Please tell me whether is it ok. I just printed them using
gs on linux and it is nicely readable on my LJ4.
devik

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, M. Edward Borasky wrote:

> I tried to import the "ps" files into Acrobat 5.0 on my Windows system and
> it cut them off to a single 8" by 10.5" page.
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
> http://www.borasky-research.net
> mailto:[email protected]
>
> Q: How do you tell when a pineapple is ready to eat?
> A: It picks up its knife and fork.

They look good now! The ac3 one comes in rotated (landscape format on a
portrait page) but Acrobat will rotate it (90 degrees clockwise) and then it
looks fine. "mm2412" comes in correctly in portrait format. Both require the
"zoom-in" tool for me to make sense of them, but I can print them on a
larger page if I need hard copy.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
http://www.borasky-research.net
mailto:[email protected]

Q: How do you tell when a pineapple is ready to eat?

by Martin Devera

Yes I rotated it so it fits A4 page nicely. When you print
it on A4 you should be able to read labels nicely.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, M. Edward Borasky wrote:

> They look good now! The ac3 one comes in rotated (landscape format on a
> portrait page) but Acrobat will rotate it (90 degrees clockwise) and then it
> looks fine. "mm2412" comes in correctly in portrait format. Both require the
> "zoom-in" tool for me to make sense of them, but I can print them on a
> larger page if I need hard copy.
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
> http://www.borasky-research.net
> mailto:[email protected]
>
> Q: How do you tell when a pineapple is ready to eat?
> A: It picks up its knife and fork.

Subject: ext2 vs. ext3?

Can I get a management-level (features and benefits, traderoffs, etc.) guide
to the differences between the ext2 and ext3 filesystems? I just loaded Red
Hat 7.1.94 aka 7.2 beta aka Roswell on my system and it offered me the
choice, with no guidance as to the tradeoffs.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
http://www.borasky-research.net
mailto:[email protected]

Relax! Run Your Own Brain with Neuro-Semantics
http://www.borasky-research.net/Flyer.htm

2001-10-21 19:13:36

by Federico Sevilla III

Subject: Re: ext2 vs. ext3?

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 at 11:52, M. Edward Borasky wrote:
> Can I get a management-level (features and benefits, traderoffs, etc.)
> guide to the differences between the ext2 and ext3 filesystems? I just
> loaded Red Hat 7.1.94 aka 7.2 beta aka Roswell on my system and it
> offered me the choice, with no guidance as to the tradeoffs.

I don't know if this is the kind of "management-level" information you're
looking for, but the main website of the ext3 project (as listed by
Freshmeat) is <http://beta.redhat.com/index.cgi?action=ext3>. Good
information in the overview section which comes after all the download
links.

Basically ext3 builds on ext2 to add journalling support, which means
significantly less (almost nil) fsck time in the eventuality of an unclean
powerdown.

There are other journalling filesystems for Linux right now aside from
ext3: ReiserFS by Hans Reiser's Namesys <http://www.namesys.com/>, SGI's
XFS <http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/>, and IBM's JFS
<http://oss.lotus.com/jfs/>.

However only ext3 provides a smooth upgrade/downgrade path from ext2 which
is the default on most Linux systems. All the rest require you to backup
your data, redo your filesystem, then restore your data. Also, only
ReiserFS in the mainstream Linus kernel tree. Ext3 is added in the Alan
Cox tree. XFS and JFS are yet to be merged. Maybe in 2.5 (the next
development tree), and hopefully 2.6 as a stable. But that's yet to be
seen of course, as they haven't started.

For now XFS and JFS provide patches to allow you to get working kernel
support for them. I personally use XFS and have found that it is very
stable, as have a lot of other fellow XFS users. I'm not saying it's the
absolute best. But I'm saying it's great, and is fairly stable. :)

--> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III :: [email protected]
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.

2001-10-21 19:17:26

by Sam Vilain

These graphs remind me of the GCC node introspector project...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/introspector/

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:23:35 +0200 (CEST)
Martin Devera <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I tried to understand MM in 2.4 kernels I decided to create call
> graph of it (in DOT). It could help everyone who tries to understand it.
>
> At least they are very nice :) You can also see difference in complexity
> of both VMs.
>
> http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/mm.htm
>
> Enjoy. devik
>
> -

by Martin Devera

Thanks for the link ! I never liked effort duplication ! :))

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Sam Vilain wrote:

> These graphs remind me of the GCC node introspector project...
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/introspector/

2001-10-21 19:39:08

by Gábor Lénárt

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 03:13:38AM +0800, Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> Basically ext3 builds on ext2 to add journalling support, which means
> significantly less (almost nil) fsck time in the eventuality of an unclean
> powerdown.

By the way ... And what's about index usage in ext2(ext3) directories?
Some months ago there was a benchmark sheet publicated in this list and
it shown major performance win on handling large directories. Is it considered
to include into ext2/ext3 implementation in Linus or Alan Cox series of kernels?
Or probably did I miss something?

> For now XFS and JFS provide patches to allow you to get working kernel
> support for them. I personally use XFS and have found that it is very
> stable, as have a lot of other fellow XFS users. I'm not saying it's the
> absolute best. But I'm saying it's great, and is fairly stable. :)

Yes, our country-wide proxy server is XFS/Linux based.

- Gabor