2002-10-20 12:54:53

by Mike Galbraith

Subject: loadlin with 2.5.?? kernels

Greetings,

I hadn't had time to build/test kernels since 2.5.8-pre3. I now find that
loadlin doesn't work on my box any more. Is this a known problem? If so,
when did it quit working? (loadlin obsolete? other?)

At the moment, the only way I have to boot is via floppy.

tia for any tips,

-Mike

2002-10-20 13:11:32

by Thomas Molina

Subject: Re: loadlin with 2.5.?? kernels

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I hadn't had time to build/test kernels since 2.5.8-pre3. I now find that
> loadlin doesn't work on my box any more. Is this a known problem? If so,
> when did it quit working? (loadlin obsolete? other?)

I'm carrying an open problem report from Rene Blokland on this issue.
What version of the kernel did you try?

2002-10-20 17:31:42

by Mike Galbraith

At 08:17 AM 10/20/2002 -0500, Thomas Molina wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I hadn't had time to build/test kernels since 2.5.8-pre3. I now find that
> > loadlin doesn't work on my box any more. Is this a known problem? If so,
> > when did it quit working? (loadlin obsolete? other?)
>
>I'm carrying an open problem report from Rene Blokland on this issue.
>What version of the kernel did you try?

Only 2.5.42.virgin, 2.5.42-mm, 2.5.43-mm and 2.5.44.virgin. Binary search
pending.

-Mike

2002-10-20 17:37:35

by Mike Galbraith

At 12:55 PM 10/20/2002 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
>In a message dated 10/20/2002 9:03:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[email protected] writes:
>

>>Subj:loadlin with 2.5.?? kernels
>>Date:10/20/2002 9:03:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>>From:<mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
>>To:<mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
>>Sent from the Internet
>>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>I hadn't had time to build/test kernels since 2.5.8-pre3. I now find that
>>loadlin doesn't work on my box any more. Is this a known problem? If so,
>>when did it quit working? (loadlin obsolete? other?)
>>
>>At the moment, the only way I have to boot is via floppy.
>

>loadlin will not work with any kernel that is 1024k or greater in size.
>There is a replacement named "linld" at:
>http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/index.html
>which help you.

Yeah, that's always been a pain, but that's not what I'm hitting (violent
reboot). I'll give linld (thanks!) a shot, but mostly, I want my dearly
beloved loadlin back ;-)

-Mike

2002-10-20 18:53:16

by Thomas Molina

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> At 08:17 AM 10/20/2002 -0500, Thomas Molina wrote:
> >On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I hadn't had time to build/test kernels since 2.5.8-pre3. I now find that
> > > loadlin doesn't work on my box any more. Is this a known problem? If so,
> > > when did it quit working? (loadlin obsolete? other?)
> >
> >I'm carrying an open problem report from Rene Blokland on this issue.
> >What version of the kernel did you try?
>
> Only 2.5.42.virgin, 2.5.42-mm, 2.5.43-mm and 2.5.44.virgin. Binary search
> pending.

The report stated the problem was noted with 2.5.4x. One of the
developers might want to speak up as to whether finding the exact point of
breakage is useful.

2002-10-21 06:35:29

by Denis Vlasenko

On 20 October 2002 16:58, Thomas Molina wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > >I'm carrying an open problem report from Rene Blokland on this
> > > issue. What version of the kernel did you try?
> >
> > Only 2.5.42.virgin, 2.5.42-mm, 2.5.43-mm and 2.5.44.virgin. Binary
> > search pending.
>
> The report stated the problem was noted with 2.5.4x. One of the
> developers might want to speak up as to whether finding the exact
> point of breakage is useful.

Shameless plug time.

http://port-ilyichevsk.com.ua/linux/vda/linld/

linld095.tar.bz2 does contain source.

Get *devel.tar.bz2 only if you _don't have Borland C_ and want to recompile.
--
vda

2002-10-21 17:33:31

by Mike Galbraith

At 01:58 PM 10/20/2002 -0500, Thomas Molina wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> find that
> problem? If so,
> > >
> > >I'm carrying an open problem report from Rene Blokland on this issue.
> > >What version of the kernel did you try?
> >
> > Only 2.5.42.virgin, 2.5.42-mm, 2.5.43-mm and 2.5.44.virgin. Binary search
> > pending.
>
>The report stated the problem was noted with 2.5.4x. One of the
>developers might want to speak up as to whether finding the exact point of
>breakage is useful.

2.5.32 is the breakage point here. I hope someone _else_ can salvage
loadlin :)

(lions and tigers and bears - oh my GDT!)

-Dorothy

2002-10-24 08:03:14

by Eric W. Biederman

Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:

> At 01:58 PM 10/20/2002 -0500, Thomas Molina wrote:

> > that
> > so,

> > > Only 2.5.42.virgin, 2.5.42-mm, 2.5.43-mm and 2.5.44.virgin. Binary search
> > > pending.
> >
> >The report stated the problem was noted with 2.5.4x. One of the
> >developers might want to speak up as to whether finding the exact point of
> >breakage is useful.
>
> 2.5.32 is the breakage point here. I hope someone _else_ can salvage loadlin :)
>

> (lions and tigers and bears - oh my GDT!)

Cool, thanks, for the confirmation. Other people are seeing breaking a little
later. Just to clarify. .30 or .31 is the last version that worked and .32
does not?

If it is really the gdt I have some old patches that roughly do the
right thing, and I just need to dust them off.

Eric

2002-10-24 08:25:18

by Mike Galbraith

(sorry, I have to use this pos at work)
> Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:

> > > that
> > > so,

Binary search

> > >The report stated the problem was noted with 2.5.4x. One of the
> > >developers might want to speak up as to whether finding the exact
point of
> > >breakage is useful.
> >
> > 2.5.32 is the breakage point here. I hope someone _else_ can
salvage loadlin :)

> > (lions and tigers and bears - oh my GDT!)
>
> Cool, thanks, for the confirmation. Other people are seeing breaking
a little
> later. Just to clarify. .30 or .31 is the last version that worked
and .32
> does not?

Yes. .31 exploded on me after boot, but did not do the violent reboot
during boot.

> If it is really the gdt I have some old patches that roughly do the
> right thing, and I just need to dust them off.

You dust them off, and I'll be more than happy to test them. I keep
entirely too many kernels resident to want to use lilo.

(kexec/bootimg wonderfulness solves my problem too. boot into a stable
kernel, instant reboot into any one I want. gimme gimme gimme:)

-Mike

2002-10-25 13:29:29

by Mike Galbraith

> "Mike Galbraith" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > (sorry, I have to use this pos at work)
> >
> > Yes. .31 exploded on me after boot, but did not do the violent
reboot
> > during boot.
>
> Earlier you had said it was .38 or so where the failures kicked in,
> so I figured it was some other problem.

(that was someone else)

> > > If it is really the gdt I have some old patches that roughly do
the
> > > right thing, and I just need to dust them off.
> >
> > You dust them off, and I'll be more than happy to test them. I keep
> > entirely too many kernels resident to want to use lilo.
>
> Here you are.
> The following patch cleans up and removes unnecessary dependencies
from
> the x86 boot path.

Much appreciated. I will test/report back.

-Mike

2002-10-25 18:38:54

by Mike Galbraith

At 03:31 PM 10/25/2002 +0200, you wrote:

> > > You dust them off, and I'll be more than happy to test them. I keep
> > > entirely too many kernels resident to want to use lilo.
> >
> > Here you are.

My little box suddenly remembered how to boot :) Thanks for the rescue
kind Sir.

-Mike

2002-10-25 21:56:44

by robert w hall

which version of loadlin does this patch?
Hans Lermen changed the gdt structure in version 1.6b to enable it to
boot a win4lin-enabled kernel - he also changed things recently (1.6c)
to boot kernels of between 0.5 &1.5Mb compressed.

(IF I sat down for half an hour I could comment better.. but you
probably know the answer straight-off anyway :-))
Bob Hall

In article <[email protected]>, Eric W. Biederman
<[email protected]> writes

--
robert w hall

2002-10-26 04:52:02

by Eric W. Biederman

robert w hall <[email protected]> writes:

> which version of loadlin does this patch?

It doesn't it patches the kernel so that it follows the documented
kernel boot protocol.

> Hans Lermen changed the gdt structure in version 1.6b to enable it to
> boot a win4lin-enabled kernel - he also changed things recently (1.6c)
> to boot kernels of between 0.5 &1.5Mb compressed.

With the small kernel restructuring a patch is unlikely to be needed
to boot a win4lin-enabled kernel either.

> (IF I sat down for half an hour I could comment better.. but you
> probably know the answer straight-off anyway :-))

Eric

2002-10-26 04:58:57

by Mike Galbraith

At 11:00 PM 10/25/2002 +0100, robert w hall wrote:

>Hans Lermen changed the gdt structure in version 1.6b to enable it to
>boot a win4lin-enabled kernel - he also changed things recently (1.6c)
>to boot kernels of between 0.5 &1.5Mb compressed.

(1.5MB? I remember hitting the 1MB wall even after grabbing 1.6c. hmm..)

I went back and double-checked my loadlin version, and it turned out I was
actually using 1.6a due to a fat finger. Version 1.6c booted fine (only
one kernel tested) without Eric's help. 1.6a definitely needs Eric's help
to boot.

(gee, it works. sure hope I don't hit the new lard limit any time soon;)

-Mike

2002-10-26 05:16:23

by Eric W. Biederman

Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:

> At 11:00 PM 10/25/2002 +0100, robert w hall wrote:
>
> >Hans Lermen changed the gdt structure in version 1.6b to enable it to
> >boot a win4lin-enabled kernel - he also changed things recently (1.6c)
> >to boot kernels of between 0.5 &1.5Mb compressed.
>
> (1.5MB? I remember hitting the 1MB wall even after grabbing 1.6c. hmm..)
>
> I went back and double-checked my loadlin version, and it turned out I was
> actually using 1.6a due to a fat finger. Version 1.6c booted fine (only one
> kernel tested) without Eric's help. 1.6a definitely needs Eric's help to boot.

Darn. I guess the arguments for my patch may not be quite as good,
but I still think it may be worth while.

> (gee, it works. sure hope I don't hit the new lard limit any time soon;)

I wonder what the change in 1.6b was....

Eric

2002-10-26 05:46:44

by Mike Galbraith

At 11:20 PM 10/25/2002 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I went back and double-checked my loadlin version, and it turned out I was
> > actually using 1.6a due to a fat finger. Version 1.6c booted fine
> (only one
> > kernel tested) without Eric's help. 1.6a definitely needs Eric's help
> to boot.
>
>Darn. I guess the arguments for my patch may not be quite as good,
>but I still think it may be worth while.

Well, cleanup is always a pretty fine argument. Since there only seem to
be two of us loadlin users, you probably didn't loose much argument wise
;-) The other loadlin user reported failure at .38, so maybe your patch is
needed sometimes even with loadlin-1.6c. (other loadlin user listening?)

-Mike

2002-10-26 06:32:31

by Rene Blokland

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Galbraith wrote:
didn't loose much argument wise
> ;-) The other loadlin user reported failure at .38, so maybe your patch is
> needed sometimes even with loadlin-1.6c. (other loadlin user listening?)
Yes, I'm there and use 1.6c

--
Groeten / Regards, Rene J. Blokland

2002-10-26 07:31:43

by Mike Galbraith

At 08:32 AM 10/26/2002 +0200, Rene Blokland wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Mike
>Galbraith wrote:
>didn't loose much argument wise
> > ;-) The other loadlin user reported failure at .38, so maybe your
> patch is
> > needed sometimes even with loadlin-1.6c. (other loadlin user listening?)
>Yes, I'm there and use 1.6c

Did Eric's patch fix your boot woes?

-Mike

2002-10-26 08:17:14

by robert w hall

In article <[email protected]>, Eric W. Biederman
<[email protected]> writes
>Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:
>I wonder what the change in 1.6b was....
>
>Eric

IIRC - kernel_cs & kernel_ds are taken at runtime rather than from the
header file (segment.h?).
(because win4lin bumps them up from their old default values)

(Wine went to using a similar trick I think)
this is all from fading memory - but it's in the README for 1.6b I think

Bob

--
robert w hall

2002-10-26 09:19:59

by Eric W. Biederman

Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:

> At 11:20 PM 10/25/2002 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> >Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > I went back and double-checked my loadlin version, and it turned out I was
> > > actually using 1.6a due to a fat finger. Version 1.6c booted fine (only one
>
> > > kernel tested) without Eric's help. 1.6a definitely needs Eric's help to
> > boot.
> >
> >Darn. I guess the arguments for my patch may not be quite as good,
> >but I still think it may be worth while.
>
> Well, cleanup is always a pretty fine argument. Since there only seem to be two
>
> of us loadlin users, you probably didn't loose much argument wise ;-) The other
>
> loadlin user reported failure at .38, so maybe your patch is needed sometimes
> even with loadlin-1.6c. (other loadlin user listening?)

Robert thanks for your reply.

I just looked at what the loadlin 1.6c code does, and it's heuristic
is just slightly more reliable. It assumes %ds is %cs+8.... That
happens to work but there is nothing in the kernel keeping that from
being broken. So in practice it looks to be worthwhile to stabilize
this interface. So loadlin, and other bootloaders can work by design
and not by chance.

Eric

2002-10-26 10:39:59

by robert w hall

In article <[email protected]>, Eric W. Biederman
<[email protected]> writes
>Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> writes:

>one

>> > boot.
>> >
>> >Darn. I guess the arguments for my patch may not be quite as good,
>> >but I still think it may be worth while.
>>
>> Well, cleanup is always a pretty fine argument. Since there only seem to be
>two
>>
>> of us loadlin users, you probably didn't loose much argument wise ;-) The
>other
>>
>> loadlin user reported failure at .38, so maybe your patch is needed sometimes
>> even with loadlin-1.6c. (other loadlin user listening?)
>
>Robert thanks for your reply.
(oops this thread is a bit messy now - sorry, I originally intended to
post off-list, [so as not to parade my ignorance in this august forum
:-) ], and made a cockup of withdrawing a post to LK)

>I just looked at what the loadlin 1.6c code does, and it's heuristic
>is just slightly more reliable. It assumes %ds is %cs+8....

well that relationship has held for about 9 years, so it was a fairly
safe bet when Hans was trying to fix 1.6a for win4lin :-)

> That
>happens to work but there is nothing in the kernel keeping that from
>being broken. So in practice it looks to be worthwhile to stabilize
>this interface.

agreed -
/ignorant query/
but if you aim for too much generality are you not eventually going to
need Hans Lermen to revisit his loadlin version of the startup code
(which is based in part on old code from head.S & misc.c of course)?
//
> So loadlin, and other bootloaders can work by design
>and not by chance.

might also be worth checking out linlod (which still is only a beta I
think) needs to run

>Eric
Bob
--
robert w hall

2002-10-30 01:25:40

by Eric W. Biederman

robert w hall <[email protected]> writes:

> > That
> >happens to work but there is nothing in the kernel keeping that from
> >being broken. So in practice it looks to be worthwhile to stabilize
> >this interface.
>
> agreed -
> /ignorant query/
> but if you aim for too much generality are you not eventually going to
> need Hans Lermen to revisit his loadlin version of the startup code
> (which is based in part on old code from head.S & misc.c of course)?

If I change the kernel so that it always will, and always can use 0x10
and 0x18. loadlin works by design. The rest of the kernel can use
some other GDT. That is what my patch does.

> might also be worth checking out linlod (which still is only a beta I
> think) needs to run

If I could find a reference to the x86 and not the alpha one I might.

Eric

2002-10-31 21:18:02

by robert w hall

In article <[email protected]>, Eric W. Biederman
<[email protected]> writes

>> might also be worth checking out linlod (which still is only a beta I
>> think) needs to run
>
>If I could find a reference to the x86 and not the alpha one I might.
>
>Eric

my bad (! ugh!)

'linld' in google finds it (current version is 0.95)
(won't post the eastern european URL, I'd probably screw it)
have also sent you the .com & tar.bz2 versions of linld 0.94 direct
--
robert w hall