2003-02-22 00:51:49

by Martijn Uffing

Subject: Older bk snapshots not found on www.kernel.org (fwd)

Ave people.

I know http://www.xx.kernel.org has nice bk snapshots in the form
of patch-2.5.x-bkx.gz However,they are only against the latest linus
release. The problem is I have a 100% repeatable OOPS in 2.5.62 while
2.5.61 worked. Before I send in a bug report I want to nail it down to
which bk snapshot starts failing to make it a little easier for the
bughunters to find the bug. Is there any website/ftp whatever which
collects older bk snapshots?

And if the maintainer of http://www.kernel.org reads this. May I suggest to keep
the bk snaphots of let's say the last 4/5 linus releases. Then people like
me who test the kernel a couple of days after release can start a bug hunt
and test bk snaphots from the past.

Greetz
Mu

2003-02-22 01:04:52

by Andrew Morton

Martijn Uffing <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ave people.
>
> I know http://www.xx.kernel.org has nice bk snapshots in the form
> of patch-2.5.x-bkx.gz However,they are only against the latest linus
> release. The problem is I have a 100% repeatable OOPS in 2.5.62 while
> 2.5.61 worked. Before I send in a bug report I want to nail it down to
> which bk snapshot starts failing to make it a little easier for the
> bughunters to find the bug. Is there any website/ftp whatever which
> collects older bk snapshots?

I just run a script to snarf them.

I've uploaded the 2.5.61->2.5.62 snapshots to

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.61/snapshots/

each one of these is a diff against 2.5.61. If you can narrow it down to the
offending one, that would be a big start.

2003-02-22 01:18:11

by Martijn Uffing

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Martijn Uffing <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > Ave people.
> >
> > I know http://www.xx.kernel.org has nice bk snapshots in the form
> > of patch-2.5.x-bkx.gz However,they are only against the latest linus
> > release. The problem is I have a 100% repeatable OOPS in 2.5.62 while
> > 2.5.61 worked. Before I send in a bug report I want to nail it down to
> > which bk snapshot starts failing to make it a little easier for the
> > bughunters to find the bug. Is there any website/ftp whatever which
> > collects older bk snapshots?
>
> I just run a script to snarf them.
>
> I've uploaded the 2.5.61->2.5.62 snapshots to
>
> http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/2.5.61/snapshots/
>
> each one of these is a diff against 2.5.61. If you can narrow it down to the
> offending one, that would be a big start.

Thanx!
The hunt has started :)

Greetz Mu

2003-02-28 19:26:28

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.44.0302220158540.16168-100000@cam029208.student.utwente.nl>
By author: Martijn Uffing <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> And if the maintainer of http://www.kernel.org reads this. May I suggest to keep
> the bk snaphots of let's say the last 4/5 linus releases. Then people like
> me who test the kernel a couple of days after release can start a bug hunt
> and test bk snaphots from the past.

Don't ask me -- I don't deal with that (in fact, I *couldn't*, because
of the asinine BK license.)

-hpa

--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
Architectures needed: cris ia64 m68k mips64 ppc ppc64 s390 s390x sh v850 x86-64