2003-05-14 13:39:18

by Dean McEwan

Subject: Re: Digital Rights Management - An idea (limited lease, renting, expiration, verification) NON HARWARE BASED.

Alan Cox <[email protected]> said :
> You can set this up with both rsbac and selinux

Im thinking of much more...
It would be set up so that files have an internal signature (ELF format might have to be
fiddled with). It would verify itself by sending info to the creator of the contents PC OR server
asking for verification of itself, files could be limited lease, rented, or automatically expire
after some time.

NB
===
I get the whole Palladium thing and no I don't wan't one central server e.t.c. so the GOV.T
and M$ can control everything, it would be a opt out affair, and it definately would NOT
work with the FRITZ chip. Decentralised, giving authors control over their work(s.), except
where license forbids this.

E.G. a kernel could refuse to work after one year forcing its users to upgrade their kernel, preventing exploits being left in place, and creators of the prefab kernels in
a sticky liable mess.

http://www.linuxmail.org/