2023-12-29 00:34:05

by Raj, Ashok

Subject: [REGRESSION] Platforms supporting SGX fail to kexec due to 96c6b8f212a ("memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set")

Hi

96c6b8f212a ("memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set")

Causes kexec failure. Backing out this change, kexec succeeds. Symptom is
it appears to hang, possibly hung at the panic. Although I have the
earlyprintk enabled, I don't see any console messages when new kernel
boots.

Also tested turning off CONFIG_X86_SGX, the kernel with this commit
included also kexec's fine.

Booting from warm/cold reset has no issues. Only kexec to new kernel with
this change included and CONFIG_X86_SGX=y causes the kexec failure.

#regzbot introduced: 96c6b8f212a
Ashok

2023-12-30 09:49:03

by Borislav Petkov

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 04:33:49PM -0800, Ashok Raj wrote:
> Hi
>
> 96c6b8f212a ("memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set")
>
> Causes kexec failure. Backing out this change, kexec succeeds. Symptom is
> it appears to hang, possibly hung at the panic. Although I have the
> earlyprintk enabled, I don't see any console messages when new kernel
> boots.
>
> Also tested turning off CONFIG_X86_SGX, the kernel with this commit
> included also kexec's fine.
>
> Booting from warm/cold reset has no issues. Only kexec to new kernel with
> this change included and CONFIG_X86_SGX=y causes the kexec failure.
>
> #regzbot introduced: 96c6b8f212a

Leaving in the whole mail for the people who you should have CCed. Lemme
CC them.

$ git show 96c6b8f212a
fatal: ambiguous argument '96c6b8f212a': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.

/me greps a bit.

Ah, you've dropped the first char of the sha1 - an 'e':

$ git show e96c6b8f212a
commit e96c6b8f212a510c9b22362de519f6e1d7920de5
memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set

Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

2023-12-31 07:26:52

by Mike Rapoport

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 04:33:49PM -0800, Ashok Raj wrote:
> Hi
>
> 96c6b8f212a ("memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set")
>
> Causes kexec failure. Backing out this change, kexec succeeds. Symptom is
> it appears to hang, possibly hung at the panic. Although I have the
> earlyprintk enabled, I don't see any console messages when new kernel
> boots.
>
> Also tested turning off CONFIG_X86_SGX, the kernel with this commit
> included also kexec's fine.
>
> Booting from warm/cold reset has no issues. Only kexec to new kernel with
> this change included and CONFIG_X86_SGX=y causes the kexec failure.

Can you add memblock=debug to the kernel command line and send logs for
normal boot and kexec with CONFIG_X86_SGX=y and e96c6b8f212a reverted?

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.

On 29.12.23 01:33, Ashok Raj wrote:

> 96c6b8f212a ("memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set")
>
> Causes kexec failure. Backing out this change, kexec succeeds. Symptom is
> it appears to hang, possibly hung at the panic. Although I have the
> earlyprintk enabled, I don't see any console messages when new kernel
> boots.
>
> Also tested turning off CONFIG_X86_SGX, the kernel with this commit
> included also kexec's fine.
>
> Booting from warm/cold reset has no issues. Only kexec to new kernel with
> this change included and CONFIG_X86_SGX=y causes the kexec failure.
>
> #regzbot introduced: 96c6b8f212a

Fix a typo and do a few other things while at it:

#regzbot introduced: e96c6b8f212a
#regzbot title: memblock: platforms supporting SGX fail to kexec
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.

On 31.12.23 08:26, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 04:33:49PM -0800, Ashok Raj wrote:
>> 96c6b8f212a ("memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set")
>>
>> Causes kexec failure. Backing out this change, kexec succeeds. Symptom is
>> it appears to hang, possibly hung at the panic. Although I have the
>> earlyprintk enabled, I don't see any console messages when new kernel
>> boots.
>>
>> Also tested turning off CONFIG_X86_SGX, the kernel with this commit
>> included also kexec's fine.
>>
>> Booting from warm/cold reset has no issues. Only kexec to new kernel with
>> this change included and CONFIG_X86_SGX=y causes the kexec failure.
>
> Can you add memblock=debug to the kernel command line and send logs for
> normal boot and kexec with CONFIG_X86_SGX=y and e96c6b8f212a reverted?

Ashok, you afaics never replied. Did you forget about it? Or was the
issue resolved later or never a regression in the first place? I for now
assume it's one of the latter and stop tracking this:

#regzbot inconclusive: radio silence from reporter
#regzbot ignore-activity

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr

2024-02-01 18:37:31

by Raj, Ashok

Hi Mike,

On Thu, Feb 01, 2024 at 11:38:38AM +0100, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> On 31.12.23 08:26, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 04:33:49PM -0800, Ashok Raj wrote:
> >> 96c6b8f212a ("memblock: report failures when memblock_can_resize is not set")
> >>
> >> Causes kexec failure. Backing out this change, kexec succeeds. Symptom is
> >> it appears to hang, possibly hung at the panic. Although I have the
> >> earlyprintk enabled, I don't see any console messages when new kernel
> >> boots.
> >>
> >> Also tested turning off CONFIG_X86_SGX, the kernel with this commit
> >> included also kexec's fine.
> >>
> >> Booting from warm/cold reset has no issues. Only kexec to new kernel with
> >> this change included and CONFIG_X86_SGX=y causes the kexec failure.
> >
> > Can you add memblock=debug to the kernel command line and send logs for
> > normal boot and kexec with CONFIG_X86_SGX=y and e96c6b8f212a reverted?
>
> Ashok, you afaics never replied. Did you forget about it? Or was the
> issue resolved later or never a regression in the first place? I for now
> assume it's one of the latter and stop tracking this:

Sorry I went AWOL on this.. I did try the newer kernel's (6.8-rc1) and its not
happening any more, and kexec seems to work well.

On the same problem kernel adding memblock=debug make it dissappear, and
even adding some code to that suspect area changed behavior.

I'm not able to reproduce it again. Sorry for the delay.

Cheers,
Ashok