2023-07-17 10:09:01

by Boris Kolpackov

Subject: Qt6 port of kconfig qconf

Is there interest in the Qt6 port of qconf (which is currently Qt5)?

I took an exploratory stab at it and I've managed to make it compile
and run with relatively few changes, though there are quite a few
warnings about using deprecated stuff.

I can see three possible approaches here:

1. Drop Qt5 support and port qconf to be exclusively Qt6. This should
allow cleaning up all the deprecated stuff.

2. Support Qt5 and Qt6 in the same qconf.cc. With this approach it's
unlikely we will be able to cleanup the deprecated stuff without
turning it into an #if soup.

3. Leave qconf.cc to be Qt5-only and make the changes in the qconf6.cc
copy. This will allow us to clean up all the deprecated stuff but
will require applying further changes to two files until we drop
support for Qt5.

Thoughts?

2023-07-18 00:54:49

by Masahiro Yamada

Subject: Re: Qt6 port of kconfig qconf

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 6:27 PM Boris Kolpackov <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there interest in the Qt6 port of qconf (which is currently Qt5)?
>
> I took an exploratory stab at it and I've managed to make it compile
> and run with relatively few changes, though there are quite a few
> warnings about using deprecated stuff.
>
> I can see three possible approaches here:
>
> 1. Drop Qt5 support and port qconf to be exclusively Qt6. This should
> allow cleaning up all the deprecated stuff.
>
> 2. Support Qt5 and Qt6 in the same qconf.cc. With this approach it's
> unlikely we will be able to cleanup the deprecated stuff without
> turning it into an #if soup.
>
> 3. Leave qconf.cc to be Qt5-only and make the changes in the qconf6.cc
> copy. This will allow us to clean up all the deprecated stuff but
> will require applying further changes to two files until we drop
> support for Qt5.
>
> Thoughts?

I like 1 or 2, depending on the size of #if soup.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

2023-07-18 05:29:45

by Boris Kolpackov

Masahiro Yamada <[email protected]> writes:

> I like 1 or 2, depending on the size of #if soup.

Looks like it won't be too dense if we are willing to only care about
the latest version of Qt5 (i.e., 5.15.0 or later) since most of the
changes appear to also work in the latest Qt5 (they may also work in
earlier versions, but I don't have easy access to those to check).

Should we go with support for "latest Qt5" and Qt6?

2023-07-21 06:57:33

by Masahiro Yamada

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 1:12 PM Boris Kolpackov <[email protected]> wrote:

> Masahiro Yamada <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I like 1 or 2, depending on the size of #if soup.
>
> Looks like it won't be too dense if we are willing to only care about
> the latest version of Qt5 (i.e., 5.15.0 or later) since most of the
> changes appear to also work in the latest Qt5 (they may also work in
> earlier versions, but I don't have easy access to those to check).
>
> Should we go with support for "latest Qt5" and Qt6?

Yeah, I think so.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada