2001-04-19 17:52:19

by Jes Sorensen

(No filename) (79.00 B)
(No filename) (1.56 kB)

by AJ Lewis

It is unfortunate that this could not have been resolved in a more mature
manner. Saying "I don't like the way somebody is doing something. I won't
bother to talk to them about it, I'll just flame them and try to undermine
their work." is not acceptable. It would have been nice if you'd actually
tried to work this out instead of handling it this way.

Regards,
AJ Lewis

--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc. Voice: 612-379-3951

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B 52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
(Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.
-----End Obligatory Humorous Quote------------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.32 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jeff Garzik

AJ Lewis wrote:
> It is unfortunate that this could not have been resolved in a more mature
> manner. Saying "I don't like the way somebody is doing something. I won't
> bother to talk to them about it, I'll just flame them and try to undermine
> their work." is not acceptable. It would have been nice if you'd actually
> tried to work this out instead of handling it this way.

Maybe he did, but his attempt got moderated down... :)

--
Jeff Garzik | "The universe is like a safe to which there is a
Building 1024 | combination -- but the combination is locked up

2001-04-19 18:36:21

by Rik van Riel

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, AJ Lewis wrote:

> It is unfortunate that this could not have been resolved in a more mature
> manner. Saying "I don't like the way somebody is doing something. I won't
> bother to talk to them about it, I'll just flame them and try to undermine
> their work." is not acceptable. It would have been nice if you'd actually
> tried to work this out instead of handling it this way.

We tried, but the last time we had something to say about your
code the message wasn't allowed on your list.

Now that the code is in the kernel, we are of the opinion that
it is no longer acceptable to censor messages when they are too
critical about the LVM source code. This beast is in the kernel,
now we'd better be allowed to talk about the source code and
maintain the thing.

regards,

Rik
--
Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/

2001-04-19 18:49:15

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Apr 19 2001, AJ Lewis wrote:
> It is unfortunate that this could not have been resolved in a more mature
> manner. Saying "I don't like the way somebody is doing something. I won't
> bother to talk to them about it, I'll just flame them and try to undermine
> their work." is not acceptable. It would have been nice if you'd actually
> tried to work this out instead of handling it this way.

LVM concerns us all now that it is not just an addon, but actually a
part of the kernel. Rejecting mails and reports from users and
developers who just might be able to lend you a hand fixing bugs, is not
just counter productive it's downright rude!

Besides, I didn't think the posting was flame material at all. If
nothing else, it's a wake up call.

--
Jens Axboe

2001-04-19 19:02:26

by Alan

> It is unfortunate that this could not have been resolved in a more mature
> manner. Saying "I don't like the way somebody is doing something. I won't
> bother to talk to them about it, I'll just flame them and try to undermine
> their work." is not acceptable. It would have been nice if you'd actually
> tried to work this out instead of handling it this way.

Well their approach to patches that fix bugs is to reject emails. They've done
that to stuff I've reported any many others. So there is a problem. And its
kind of hard to discuss a problem when you are being moderated out of existance.

The openlvm list is open to existing LVM hackers too..

2001-04-19 19:18:28

by Jes Sorensen

>> It is unfortunate that this could not have been resolved in a more
>> mature manner. Saying "I don't like the way somebody is doing
>> something. I won't bother to talk to them about it, I'll just
>> flame them and try to undermine their work." is not acceptable. It
>> would have been nice if you'd actually tried to work this out
>> instead of handling it this way.

This was tried, trust me. We didn't create this list because someone
forgot to respond to a single posting. As we wrote in the announcement
there has been too many incidents: At least two people got kicked off
the old lvm list for posting comments about the latest release using
lower bits in pointers to store data. Other people have posted patches
for serious bugs like NULL pointer dereferences and the postings were
denied. Another person complained about the behavior and got no
response.

For modules included in the Linux kernel, an open development forum is
a minimum requirement.

Jes

2001-04-19 19:21:20

by Martin K. Petersen

AJ> It is unfortunate that this could not have been resolved in a more
AJ> mature manner.

Personally, I find it exceedingly immature that my postings get
moderated to the bitbucket every time I report a bug in your code.

This is simply not the way we are working in the Linux community, and
you guys will either have to change your closed development model or
deal with a fork of the LVM tree...

--
Martin K. Petersen, Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
[email protected], http://www.linuxcare.com/

2001-04-19 19:24:18

by AJ Lewis

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 08:02:50PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Well their approach to patches that fix bugs is to reject emails. They've done
> that to stuff I've reported any many others. So there is a problem. And its
> kind of hard to discuss a problem when you are being moderated out of existance.

Hmm...i guess there is a communication issue here. It sounds like the
message that our ML server was sending was misleading. We were not
rejecting mail because of content. The ML server was rejecting it because
the address was not subscribed. Our idea was that we don't want spam.
If it's completely unmoderated, then we will get a *lot* of spam.

Did anyone bother to e-mail the list admins? Perhaps it was too difficult
to figure out who to mail about this, but I know for a fact that Rik van
Riel and Jens Axboe could post to [email protected]. It would have been
nice if they had mentioned something to us.

> The openlvm list is open to existing LVM hackers too..

True, but it seems silly to duplicate the load if it's not necessary.

AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc. Voice: 612-379-3951
1313 5th St SE, Suite 111 Fax: 612-379-3952
Minneapolis, MN 55414 E-Mail: [email protected]
http://www.sistina.com

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B 52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
(Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

-----Begin Obligatory Humorous Quote----------------------------------------
Sometimes I have a difficult time handling myself in social situations.
I just start scampering around neurotically, frantically jumping all
over guests. I think it all goes back to when I was raised in the wild
by miniature schnauzers.
-----End Obligatory Humorous Quote------------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.84 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by AJ Lewis

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:17:29PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> This was tried, trust me. We didn't create this list because someone
> forgot to respond to a single posting. As we wrote in the announcement
> there has been too many incidents: At least two people got kicked off
> the old lvm list for posting comments about the latest release using
> lower bits in pointers to store data. Other people have posted patches
> for serious bugs like NULL pointer dereferences and the postings were
> denied. Another person complained about the behavior and got no
> response.

What are you talking about??? Got kicked off? If so, it was not
intentional, I can assure you. That would just be stupid. As far as
patches being rejected, refer to the e-mail I just sent.

> For modules included in the Linux kernel, an open development forum is
> a minimum requirement.

Who asked for this? Who did you talk to? I haven't seen anything to this
effect for months.

--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc. Voice: 612-379-3951
1313 5th St SE, Suite 111 Fax: 612-379-3952
Minneapolis, MN 55414 E-Mail: [email protected]
http://www.sistina.com

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B 52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
(Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

-----Begin Obligatory Humorous Quote----------------------------------------
Over and over I find being redundant is key to success
in the art of redundancy - Jay Armstrong
-----End Obligatory Humorous Quote------------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.60 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Apr 19 2001, AJ Lewis wrote:
> Did anyone bother to e-mail the list admins? Perhaps it was too difficult
> to figure out who to mail about this, but I know for a fact that Rik van
> Riel and Jens Axboe could post to [email protected]. It would have been
> nice if they had mentioned something to us.

First one gets a mail saying that the mail sent is queued for moderator
approval, since I'm not on the list. Then later a second mail arrives,
saying the mail has been rejected by the moderator.

I then reply to the admin mail listed, in not-so-kind words (yes I was
pissed off). Haven't heard anything.

> > The openlvm list is open to existing LVM hackers too..
>
> True, but it seems silly to duplicate the load if it's not necessary.

It's necessary in that we need an open list.

--
Jens Axboe

2001-04-19 19:39:23

by Jes Sorensen

>> Hmm...i guess there is a communication issue here. It sounds like
>> the message that our ML server was sending was misleading. We were
>> not rejecting mail because of content. The ML server was rejecting
>> it because the address was not subscribed. Our idea was that we
>> don't want spam. If it's completely unmoderated, then we will get
>> a *lot* of spam.

The mail states it's been forwarded to the moderator, yes I just got
one. Thats another issue here, Cc'ing a closed mailing list when
posting to an open list like linux-kernel is rude (but thats just a
minor issue in this discussion).

>> Did anyone bother to e-mail the list admins? Perhaps it was too
>> difficult to figure out who to mail about this, but I know for a
>> fact that Rik van Riel and Jens Axboe could post to
>> [email protected]. It would have been nice if they had
>> mentioned something to us.

I know that Jens posted to linux-lvm-admin two days ago and didn't get
a response.

>> The openlvm list is open to existing LVM hackers too..

>> True, but it seems silly to duplicate the load if it's not
>> necessary.

Right now there is no load because the postings aren't getting
through at all.

Jes

2001-04-19 19:40:39

by AJ Lewis

The list is now open. I've talked to our admin and he's opening it up.
Send me e-mail if it doesn't work, 'cause something else is broken.

All it would have taken was a request and a good reason for doing so, but
I guess this is one way to do it. Just don't complain about spam. :)

Regards,
AJ Lewis

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:29:27PM -0500, AJ Lewis wrote:
> [...]
>
> Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B 52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
> Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
> (Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)
>
> -----Begin Obligatory Humorous Quote----------------------------------------
> Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.
> -----End Obligatory Humorous Quote------------------------------------------

--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc. Voice: 612-379-3951
1313 5th St SE, Suite 111 Fax: 612-379-3952
Minneapolis, MN 55414 E-Mail: [email protected]
http://www.sistina.com

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B 52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
(Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take
effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]
-----End Obligatory Humorous Quote------------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (3.47 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jes Sorensen

AJ> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:17:29PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> This was tried, trust me. We didn't create this list because
>> someone forgot to respond to a single posting. As we wrote in the
>> announcement there has been too many incidents: At least two people
>> got kicked off the old lvm list for posting comments about the
>> latest release using lower bits in pointers to store data. Other
>> people have posted patches for serious bugs like NULL pointer
>> dereferences and the postings were denied. Another person
>> complained about the behavior and got no response.

AJ> What are you talking about??? Got kicked off? If so, it was not
AJ> intentional, I can assure you. That would just be stupid. As far
AJ> as patches being rejected, refer to the e-mail I just sent.

[email protected] got unsubscribed when he posted the complaint about
storing data in lower bits of pointers. Riel got bumped when he
followed up on the same topic.

Jens just told me he has at least one denied reponse from the
moderator (just got the below from him):

"Your request to the linux-lvm mailing list
Posting of your message titled "Re: 2.4.3-ac{6,7} LVM hang"
has been rejected by the list moderator."

>> For modules included in the Linux kernel, an open development forum
>> is a minimum requirement.

AJ> Who asked for this? Who did you talk to? I haven't seen anything
AJ> to this effect for months.

A moderated list is not an open environment. Had this been for a
Sistina only product I wouldn't have any problem with it, but this is
for an integrated part of the Linux kernel.

Jes

2001-04-19 19:44:49

by AJ Lewis

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:35:51PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> >> Hmm...i guess there is a communication issue here. It sounds like
> >> the message that our ML server was sending was misleading. We were
> >> not rejecting mail because of content. The ML server was rejecting
> >> it because the address was not subscribed. Our idea was that we
> >> don't want spam. If it's completely unmoderated, then we will get
> >> a *lot* of spam.
>
> The mail states it's been forwarded to the moderator, yes I just got
> one. Thats another issue here, Cc'ing a closed mailing list when
> posting to an open list like linux-kernel is rude (but thats just a
> minor issue in this discussion).

The list is open now. Sorry for the inconvenience and misunderstanding.
Hopefully this is a non-issue now.

> >> Did anyone bother to e-mail the list admins? Perhaps it was too
> >> difficult to figure out who to mail about this, but I know for a
> >> fact that Rik van Riel and Jens Axboe could post to
> >> [email protected]. It would have been nice if they had
> >> mentioned something to us.
>
> I know that Jens posted to linux-lvm-admin two days ago and didn't get
> a response.

Hmm...our admin was testing LVM + GFS on his laptop on linux 2.4 and lost
some mail due to file corruption a couple of days ago...that's probably what
happened to it. :(

AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc. Voice: 612-379-3951
1313 5th St SE, Suite 111 Fax: 612-379-3952
Minneapolis, MN 55414 E-Mail: [email protected]
http://www.sistina.com

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B 52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
(Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)

-----Begin Obligatory Humorous Quote----------------------------------------
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
-----End Obligatory Humorous Quote------------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.03 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Andreas Dilger

AJ Lewis writes:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 08:02:50PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Well their approach to patches that fix bugs is to reject emails. They've
> > done that to stuff I've reported any many others. So there is a problem.
> > And it's kind of hard to discuss a problem when you are being moderated
> > out of existance.

Not to be negative, but isn't Alan the pot calling the kettle black? You
use ORBS to block email as well, with no hope of reprieve. AFAIK, the
linux-lvm list has a moderator which _should_ forward legitimate emails
on to the list. Maybe they are piling up somewhere, unread?

> Hmm...i guess there is a communication issue here. It sounds like the
> message that our ML server was sending was misleading. We were not
> rejecting mail because of content. The ML server was rejecting it because
> the address was not subscribed. Our idea was that we don't want spam.
> If it's completely unmoderated, then we will get a *lot* of spam.

I don't think that the subscription is necessarily the only issue. I'm
subscribed to all of the LVM mailing lists, and still a lot of what I
submit (legitimate bug fixes, and not just features/code cleanup) does
not get added to CVS. Yes, the no-possible-harm patches like man pages
went in, but not other stuff. Also, it doesn't appear that any of the
LVM changes are making it into the stock kernel, which is basically a
recepie for disaster.

Basically, I'm at the point where trying to create clean patches from my
LVM source tree to apply to CVS is so much work it is hardly worth it.
I'm seriously looking at devoting the time I used to spend on LVM to the
EVMS project instead. They (appear to) have in-kernel LVM support working
already, so no user tools needed for VG/LV activation. Granted, they don't
yet have tools to create/modify VG/LVs, but I think I can help them there.
It appears more likely that EVMS will only support Linux LVM volumes for
compatibility, and move to a more robust on-disk format for metadata.

The openlvm list may change my mind, I'll see.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"

2001-04-19 19:48:39

by Alan

> All it would have taken was a request and a good reason for doing so, but
> I guess this is one way to do it. Just don't complain about spam. :)

I think you'll find several folks who run linux-kernel and other lists like
the linux.nl mailhub more than happy to help there

Alan

2001-04-19 19:48:49

by Martin K. Petersen

Jens> First one gets a mail saying that the mail sent is queued for
Jens> moderator approval, since I'm not on the list. Then later a
Jens> second mail arrives, saying the mail has been rejected by the
Jens> moderator.

Yep. Same here. Latest and greatest...

---8<---