2004-04-07 13:08:09

by Mohamed Aslan

Subject: Rewrite Kernel

what we have to lose , we can try it

Powered by Outblaze

2004-04-07 17:27:57

by Robin Rosenberg

Subject: Re: Rewrite Kernel

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 15:05, Mohamed Aslan wrote:
> what we have to lose

Nothing important:
- Productivity
- Reliability
- Portability
- and maybe even speed (writing tons of efficient asm code is hard).

> we can try it
It's a free world. Go ahead.

-- robin

2004-04-07 18:48:29

by Paulo Marques

It is getting really tough to distinguish sarcasm from real comments on this
thread :)

(if there is such a thing as "real comments" to a proposal like this)

--
Paulo Marques - http://www.grupopie.com
"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"

2004-04-07 19:58:51

by Måns Rullgård

Aaron Smith <[email protected]> writes:

> Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>
>>Guys, gals,
>>
>>you are all missing the point.
>>
>>It is obvious that what we really need is a hand-optimized in-kernel
>>core LISP machine written in >i386 assembly, then we need to port the
>>rest of the kernel to run as LISP bytecode on top of that in ring1 (in
>>particular the security policies).
>>
>>Of course, important privileged user-space such as glibc should be
>>ported to this highly efficient non-recursive LISP machine too for
>>efficiency and run on ring 2 for speed and security.
>>

> What you are talking about is a LISP machine micro-kernel in Ring0
> which sort of defeats the whole point of Linux being monolithic
> kernel. Also couldn't we just run HURD, or for that matter EMACS ;-),

Yes, I use Emacs as my operating system. It uses Linux as a device
driver.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by David B. Stevens

Will you please use a more modern programming language such as Autocoder
or maybe COBOL.

There have already been several operating systems written in Assembly.

They are also rather large in terms of LOC.

Cheers,
Dave

PS:Sorry I couldn't resist ;) , late night little sleep :( , plenty of
beer:).

2004-04-08 10:34:39

by David Weinehall

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:03:41PM -0400, David B. Stevens wrote:
> Will you please use a more modern programming language such as Autocoder
> or maybe COBOL.
>
> There have already been several operating systems written in Assembly.
>
> They are also rather large in terms of LOC.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave
>
> PS:Sorry I couldn't resist ;) , late night little sleep :( , plenty of
> beer:).

I suggest n*Funge.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
/) David Weinehall <[email protected]> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //

2004-04-24 13:23:44

by Mohamed Aslan

No I Could Create Assembly Code Faster Than Gcc
Gcc 2.95 was good but 3 isn't as 2,it's not my words linus recommended compiling kernel with 2.95
don't forget something assemblying requires less time than compiling