2023-10-14 13:08:54

by Cedric Blancher

Subject: NFSv4.2: READ_PLUS - when safe to use?

Good afternoon!

Since which kernel versions (NFS server, NFS client) is NFSv4.2
READ_PLUS safely usable?

Also, could you make this a mount option, so people can turn this
on/off per mount, instead of using a kernel build option for this?

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <[email protected]>
[https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CedricBlancher/]

2023-10-18 19:33:11

by Anna Schumaker

Subject: Re: NFSv4.2: READ_PLUS - when safe to use?

Hi Ced,

On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM Cedric Blancher
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Good afternoon!
>
> Since which kernel versions (NFS server, NFS client) is NFSv4.2
> READ_PLUS safely usable?

Linux 6.2 for the server side and 6.6 for the client.

> Also, could you make this a mount option, so people can turn this
> on/off per mount, instead of using a kernel build option for this?

The eventual plan is to remove the kernel build option entirely. We
probably won't do a mount option, and just have it enabled by default
when using NFS v4.2.

I hope this helps,
Anna

> Ced
> --
> Cedric Blancher <[email protected]>
> [https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CedricBlancher/]
> Institute Pasteur

2023-10-18 19:43:14

by Benjamin Coddington

On 18 Oct 2023, at 15:32, Anna Schumaker wrote:

> Hi Ced,
>
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM Cedric Blancher
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Good afternoon!
>>
>> Since which kernel versions (NFS server, NFS client) is NFSv4.2
>> READ_PLUS safely usable?
>
> Linux 6.2 for the server side and 6.6 for the client.
>

>> Also, could you make this a mount option, so people can turn this
>> on/off per mount, instead of using a kernel build option for this?
>
> The eventual plan is to remove the kernel build option entirely. We
> probably won't do a mount option, and just have it enabled by default
> when using NFS v4.2.

Anna, I'm still planning on either re-sending the patch you wrote to
enable/disable optional features per-mount, or re-work it to make it
file-per-feature as the sysfs creators intended.

We need the option to toggle client's default per-server or per-mount.

Ben