2004-11-29 09:50:14

by wim delvaux

Subject: [Bluez-users] hcitool scan ...

how is it possible that not all devices show up when doing a scan ?
I have 3 devices, Ipaq, Desktop and Phone and only phone shows up even if
ipaq and desktop have a running PAN connection ?

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] hcitool scan ...

Hi Wim,

> > > sorry for my BT ignorance but what option should I use and which
> > > parameter presents Chip and Firmware ?
> >
> > hciconfig -a
> > hciconfig hci0 revision
> > hcitool info <bdaddr>
>
> for the Ipaq it shows
> /mnt/ramfs/tmp # hciconfig -a
> hci0: Type: UART
> BD Address: 00:02:C7:0D:85:96 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH
> RX bytes:252 acl:0 sco:0 events:12 errors:0
> TX bytes:430 acl:0 sco:0 commands:11 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x05 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'familiar'
> Class: 0x120112
> Service Classes: Networking, Object Transfer
> Device Class: Computer, Handheld
> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x72 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x72
> Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>
> /mnt/ramfs/tmp # hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: UART
> BD Address: 00:02:C7:0D:85:96 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 11.2 (bc01b)
>
> for the desktop is shows
> buro:# hciconfig -a
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:60:57:02:71:A2 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:4470825 acl:40078 sco:0 events:110377 errors:0
> TX bytes:14530648 acl:125164 sco:0 commands:1112 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x09 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy:
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'buro-0'
> Class: 0x000000
> Service Classes: Unspecified
> Device Class: Miscellaneous,
> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0xbc LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0xbc
> Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>
> buro:# hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:60:57:02:71:A2 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 12.7
> Chip version: BlueCore01b
> SCO mapping: PCM
>
> does that explain why hciconfig scan fails if they are connected ?

actually you won't be happy with anything before HCI 16.4 firmware.

Regards

Marcel

by wim delvaux

On Monday 29 November 2004 11:39, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Wim,

> > > this depends on the Bluetooth chip and its firmware. Check this with
> > > hcitool and hciconfig.
> >
> > sorry for my BT ignorance but what option should I use and which
> > parameter presents Chip and Firmware ?
>
> hciconfig -a
> hciconfig hci0 revision
> hcitool info <bdaddr>

for the Ipaq it shows
/mnt/ramfs/tmp # hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: UART
BD Address: 00:02:C7:0D:85:96 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH
RX bytes:252 acl:0 sco:0 events:12 errors:0
TX bytes:430 acl:0 sco:0 commands:11 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x05 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'familiar'
Class: 0x120112
Service Classes: Networking, Object Transfer
Device Class: Computer, Handheld
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x72 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x72
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

/mnt/ramfs/tmp # hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: UART
BD Address: 00:02:C7:0D:85:96 ACL MTU: 128:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 11.2 (bc01b)

for the desktop is shows
buro:# hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:60:57:02:71:A2 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:4470825 acl:40078 sco:0 events:110377 errors:0
TX bytes:14530648 acl:125164 sco:0 commands:1112 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x09 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy:
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'buro-0'
Class: 0x000000
Service Classes: Unspecified
Device Class: Miscellaneous,
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0xbc LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0xbc
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

buro:# hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:60:57:02:71:A2 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 12.7
Chip version: BlueCore01b
SCO mapping: PCM

does that explain why hciconfig scan fails if they are connected ?

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Wim,

On Monday 29 November 2004 11:32, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Wim,

> > > maybe because of the running PAN connection.
> >
> > is that so ? does a bt connecter refuse to present itself when it has
> > a connection ?
>
> this depends on the Bluetooth chip and its firmware. Check this with
> hcitool and hciconfig.

sorry for my BT ignorance but what option should I use and which
parameter presents Chip and Firmware ?

Thx

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Wim,

On Monday 29 November 2004 11:13, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Wim,
>
> > how is it possible that not all devices show up when doing a scan ?
> > I have 3 devices, Ipaq, Desktop and Phone and only phone shows up even if
> > ipaq and desktop have a running PAN connection ?
>
> maybe because of the running PAN connection.

is that so ? does a bt connecter refuse to present itself when it has
a connection ?

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann