2021-03-21 18:34:54

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: [GIT PULL] ext4 fixes for v5.12

The following changes since commit a38fd8748464831584a19438cbb3082b5a2dab15:

Linux 5.12-rc2 (2021-03-05 17:33:41 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git tags/ext4_for_linus_stable

for you to fetch changes up to 64395d950bc476106b39341e42ebfd4d2eb71d2c:

ext4: initialize ret to suppress smatch warning (2021-03-21 00:45:37 -0400)

Miscellaneous ext4 bug fixes for v5.12.

Eric Biggers (1):
ext4: fix error handling in ext4_end_enable_verity()

Eric Whitney (1):
ext4: shrink race window in ext4_should_retry_alloc()

Harshad Shirwadkar (1):
ext4: fix rename whiteout with fast commit

Jan Kara (2):
ext4: add reclaim checks to xattr code
ext4: fix timer use-after-free on failed mount

Pan Bian (1):
ext4: stop inode update before return

Sabyrzhan Tasbolatov (1):
fs/ext4: fix integer overflow in s_log_groups_per_flex

Shijie Luo (1):
ext4: fix potential error in ext4_do_update_inode

Theodore Ts'o (1):
ext4: initialize ret to suppress smatch warning

Zhaolong Zhang (1):
ext4: fix bh ref count on error paths

zhangyi (F) (3):
ext4: find old entry again if failed to rename whiteout
ext4: do not iput inode under running transaction in ext4_rename()
ext4: do not try to set xattr into ea_inode if value is empty

fs/ext4/balloc.c | 38 +++++++++++++++++--------
fs/ext4/ext4.h | 3 ++
fs/ext4/extents.c | 2 +-
fs/ext4/fast_commit.c | 9 ++++--
fs/ext4/inode.c | 18 ++++++------
fs/ext4/mballoc.c | 11 ++++++--
fs/ext4/namei.c | 50 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
fs/ext4/super.c | 7 ++++-
fs/ext4/sysfs.c | 7 +++++
fs/ext4/verity.c | 89 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------------
fs/ext4/xattr.c | 6 +++-

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] ext4 fixes for v5.12

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:31 AM Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]> wrote:

> zhangyi (F) (3):
> ext4: find old entry again if failed to rename whiteout
> ext4: do not iput inode under running transaction in ext4_rename()
> ext4: do not try to set xattr into ea_inode if value is empty

Side note: this is obviously entirely up to the author, but I think it
would be nice if we would encourage people to use their native names
if/when they want to.

Maybe this "zhangyi (F)" is how they _want_ to write their name in the
kernel, and that's obviously fine if so.

But at the same time, coming from Finland, I remember how people who
had the "odd" characters (åäö) in their name ended up replacing them
with the US-ASCII version (generally "aa" "ae" and "oe"), and it
always just looked bad to a native speaker. Particularly annoying in
public contexts.

At the same time, for the same reason, I can also understand people
not wanting to even expose those characters at all, because then
non-native speakers invariably messed it up even worse...

Anyway, I think and hope that we have the infrastructure to do it
right not just for Latin1, but the more complex non-Western character
sets too.

And as a result should possibly encourage people to use their native
names if they want to. At least make people aware that it _should_
work.

Again, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and in this case "zhangyi
(F) <[email protected]>" is just what zhangyi prefers simply because
it's easier/more convenient.

But I just wanted to mention it, because we _do_ have examples of it
working. Not many, but some:

git log --pretty="%an" --since=2.years | sort -u | tail

including examples of having the Westernized name in parenthesis for
the "use that one if you can't do the real one" case..

Linus

2021-03-22 01:39:43

by Zhang Yi

On 2021/3/22 6:23, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:31 AM Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> zhangyi (F) (3):
>> ext4: find old entry again if failed to rename whiteout
>> ext4: do not iput inode under running transaction in ext4_rename()
>> ext4: do not try to set xattr into ea_inode if value is empty
>
> Side note: this is obviously entirely up to the author, but I think it
> would be nice if we would encourage people to use their native names
> if/when they want to.
>
> Maybe this "zhangyi (F)" is how they _want_ to write their name in the
> kernel, and that's obviously fine if so.
>
> But at the same time, coming from Finland, I remember how people who
> had the "odd" characters (åäö) in their name ended up replacing them
> with the US-ASCII version (generally "aa" "ae" and "oe"), and it
> always just looked bad to a native speaker. Particularly annoying in
> public contexts.
>
> At the same time, for the same reason, I can also understand people
> not wanting to even expose those characters at all, because then
> non-native speakers invariably messed it up even worse...
>
> Anyway, I think and hope that we have the infrastructure to do it
> right not just for Latin1, but the more complex non-Western character
> sets too.
>
> And as a result should possibly encourage people to use their native
> names if they want to. At least make people aware that it _should_
> work.
>
> Again, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and in this case "zhangyi
> (F) <[email protected]>" is just what zhangyi prefers simply because
> it's easier/more convenient.
>
> But I just wanted to mention it, because we _do_ have examples of it
> working. Not many, but some:
>
> git log --pretty="%an" --since=2.years | sort -u | tail
>
> including examples of having the Westernized name in parenthesis for
> the "use that one if you can't do the real one" case..

Hi, Linus.

I will use my real name "Yi Zhang" next time.

Thanks,
Yi.

2021-03-22 03:03:18

by Theodore Ts'o

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 09:33:54AM +0800, zhangyi (F) wrote:

> I will use my real name "Yi Zhang" next time.

Hi Yi,

I think what Linus was suggsting was that if people wanted, they could
do something like this in their git commits:

From: 曹子德(Theodore Y Ts'o) <[email protected]>

I don't do this because my legal name is actually Theodore Yue Tak
Ts'o (where Ts'o Yue Tak is the standard romanization of my Chinese
name in Cantonese --- my parents were from Hong Kong), and even though
Cantonese is technically the first langauge I learned as a child, at
this point I'm probably more fluent in Spanish (my third language)
than Cantonese. :-)

In any case, git and e-mail should be able to handle non-Roman
characters so if you want to insert your name in Chinese in your Git
authorship, please feel free to do so. Or not --- it's totally up to
you.

Cheers,

- Ted

2021-03-22 03:06:59

by Gao Xiang

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 09:33:54AM +0800, zhangyi (F) wrote:
> On 2021/3/22 6:23, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:31 AM Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> zhangyi (F) (3):
> >> ext4: find old entry again if failed to rename whiteout
> >> ext4: do not iput inode under running transaction in ext4_rename()
> >> ext4: do not try to set xattr into ea_inode if value is empty
> >
> > Side note: this is obviously entirely up to the author, but I think it
> > would be nice if we would encourage people to use their native names
> > if/when they want to.
> >
> > Maybe this "zhangyi (F)" is how they _want_ to write their name in the
> > kernel, and that's obviously fine if so.
> >
> > But at the same time, coming from Finland, I remember how people who
> > had the "odd" characters (åäö) in their name ended up replacing them
> > with the US-ASCII version (generally "aa" "ae" and "oe"), and it
> > always just looked bad to a native speaker. Particularly annoying in
> > public contexts.
> >
> > At the same time, for the same reason, I can also understand people
> > not wanting to even expose those characters at all, because then
> > non-native speakers invariably messed it up even worse...
> >
> > Anyway, I think and hope that we have the infrastructure to do it
> > right not just for Latin1, but the more complex non-Western character
> > sets too.
> >
> > And as a result should possibly encourage people to use their native
> > names if they want to. At least make people aware that it _should_
> > work.
> >
> > Again, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and in this case "zhangyi
> > (F) <[email protected]>" is just what zhangyi prefers simply because
> > it's easier/more convenient.
> >
> > But I just wanted to mention it, because we _do_ have examples of it
> > working. Not many, but some:
> >
> > git log --pretty="%an" --since=2.years | sort -u | tail
> >
> > including examples of having the Westernized name in parenthesis for
> > the "use that one if you can't do the real one" case..
> >
> Hi, Linus.
>
> I will use my real name "Yi Zhang" next time.

er.. Try to comment my thoughts about this a bit... just random noise.

I think the legel name would be "Zhang Yi" (family name goes first [1])
according to
The Chinese phonetic alphabet spelling rules for Chinese names [2].

Indeed, that is also what the legel name is written in alphabet on our
passport or credit/debit cards.

Also, many official English-written materials use it in that way, for
example, a somewhat famous bastetball player Yao Ming [3][4][5].

That is what I wrote my own name as this but I also noticed the western
ordering of names is quite common for Chinese people in Linux kernel.
Anyway, it's just my preliminary personal thought (might be just my
own perference) according to (I think, maybe) formal occasions.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_(Chinese)
[2] http://www.moe.gov.cn/ewebeditor/uploadfile/2015/01/13/20150113091249368.pdf
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yao_Ming
[4] https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/basketball/nba/player/28778/yao-ming
[5] https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-09-26/Spotlight-Ex-NBA-star-Yao-Ming-05-02-2018-U36mm3dYas/index.html

Thanks,
Gao Xiang

> Thanks,
> Yi.

2021-03-22 07:02:05

by Zhang Yi

On 2021/3/22 11:36, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:05:13AM +0800, Gao Xiang wrote:
>> I think the legel name would be "Zhang Yi" (family name goes first [1])
>> according to
>> The Chinese phonetic alphabet spelling rules for Chinese names [2].
>>
>> Indeed, that is also what the legel name is written in alphabet on our
>> passport or credit/debit cards.
>>
>> Also, many official English-written materials use it in that way, for
>> example, a somewhat famous bastetball player Yao Ming [3][4][5].
>>
>> That is what I wrote my own name as this but I also noticed the western
>> ordering of names is quite common for Chinese people in Linux kernel.
>> Anyway, it's just my preliminary personal thought (might be just my
>> own perference) according to (I think, maybe) formal occasions.
>
> Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency with the ordering
> of Chinese names when they are written in Roman characters. Some
> people put the family name first, and other people will put the
> personal (first) name first. In some cases it may be because the
> developer in question is living in America, and so they've decided to
> use the American naming convention. (Two example of this are former
> ext4 developers Mingming Cao and Jiaying Zhang, who live in Portland
> and Los Angelos, and their family names are Cao and Zhang,
> respectively.)
>
> My personal opinion is people should use whatever name they are
> comfortable with, using whatever characters they prefer. The one
> thing that would be helpful for me is for people to give a hint about
> how they would prefer to be called --- for example, would you prefer
> that start an e-mail with the salutation, "Hi Gao", "Hi Xiang", or "Hi
> Gao Xiang"?
>
> And if I don't know, and I guess wrong, please feel free to correct
> me, either privately, or publically on the e-mail list, if you think
> it would be helpful for more people to understand how you'd prefer to
> be called.

Hi, Ted and Xiang

I didn't think about it in depth before, and thanks for your suggestion,
I think use "Zhang Yi" is more suitable for me now.

Thanks,
Yi

2021-03-22 08:57:11

by Oleksandr Natalenko

Hi.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:36:10PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:05:13AM +0800, Gao Xiang wrote:
> > I think the legel name would be "Zhang Yi" (family name goes first [1])
> > according to
> > The Chinese phonetic alphabet spelling rules for Chinese names [2].
> >
> > Indeed, that is also what the legel name is written in alphabet on our
> > passport or credit/debit cards.
> >
> > Also, many official English-written materials use it in that way, for
> > example, a somewhat famous bastetball player Yao Ming [3][4][5].
> >
> > That is what I wrote my own name as this but I also noticed the western
> > ordering of names is quite common for Chinese people in Linux kernel.
> > Anyway, it's just my preliminary personal thought (might be just my
> > own perference) according to (I think, maybe) formal occasions.
>
> Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency with the ordering
> of Chinese names when they are written in Roman characters. Some
> people put the family name first, and other people will put the
> personal (first) name first. In some cases it may be because the
> developer in question is living in America, and so they've decided to
> use the American naming convention. (Two example of this are former
> ext4 developers Mingming Cao and Jiaying Zhang, who live in Portland
> and Los Angelos, and their family names are Cao and Zhang,
> respectively.)
>
> My personal opinion is people should use whatever name they are
> comfortable with, using whatever characters they prefer. The one
> thing that would be helpful for me is for people to give a hint about
> how they would prefer to be called --- for example, would you prefer
> that start an e-mail with the salutation, "Hi Gao", "Hi Xiang", or "Hi
> Gao Xiang"?

Is there a common way to indicate that? Like, erm, SPDX, but for names?

Saying, instead of just writing "Oleksandr Natalenko" in the email
footer, I'll write "Oleksandr Natalenko / RMNA:NS" meaning "read my name
as name-surname".

Hm?

--
Oleksandr Natalenko (post-factum)