2011-02-26 23:28:39

by Markus Feldmann

Subject: searching for wireless card

Hi All,

i am searching for a wireless card with the following attributes:
+linux compatible
+b/g/n or a/b/g/n network compatible
+opensource driver
+productive and stable to use under Linux
+not to old chip
+atheros chip preferred
+PCI
+usable in Master Mode(Access Point)

I still found some cards which are nice, but maybe too old:
Linksys WMP300N (only b/g)
D-Link DWA-547 (b/g/n, PCI ?)

Some further Questions to help me decide:
Is the Atheros Chip AR5xxx older than the AR9xxx?
What is the advantage of 3 antennas instead of only 2 or 1?

regards Markus

2011-02-27 18:30:11

by Markus Feldmann

Subject: Re: searching for wireless card

Am 27.02.2011 16:12, schrieb Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli:
> On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 00:28 +0100, Markus Feldmann wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> i am searching for a wireless card with the following attributes:
>> +linux compatible
>> +b/g/n or a/b/g/n network compatible
>> +opensource driver
>> +productive and stable to use under Linux
>> +not to old chip
>> +atheros chip preferred
>> +PCI
>> +usable in Master Mode(Access Point)
> I'm using an ath9k in AP mode, and it seem to work well for me.
> My card is a PCI one.
> altough no a
> only b/g/n:
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn Mode:Master Frequency:2.442 GHz Tx-Power=20
> dBm
> And I use only g, I'm not sure if n works yet.
Hi,

i want the n modus and the ath9k driver is needed to get the AP Modus to
work as i read.

regards Markus

2011-02-27 15:12:59

by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 00:28 +0100, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i am searching for a wireless card with the following attributes:
> +linux compatible
> +b/g/n or a/b/g/n network compatible
> +opensource driver
> +productive and stable to use under Linux
> +not to old chip
> +atheros chip preferred
> +PCI
> +usable in Master Mode(Access Point)
I'm using an ath9k in AP mode, and it seem to work well for me.
My card is a PCI one.
altough no a
only b/g/n:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn Mode:Master Frequency:2.442 GHz Tx-Power=20
dBm
And I use only g, I'm not sure if n works yet.

> I still found some cards which are nice, but maybe too old:
> Linksys WMP300N (only b/g)
> D-Link DWA-547 (b/g/n, PCI ?)
>
> Some further Questions to help me decide:
> Is the Atheros Chip AR5xxx older than the AR9xxx?
> What is the advantage of 3 antennas instead of only 2 or 1?
ath9k is more recent and its driver seem more actively developed than
ath5k.

Denis.

2011-02-27 12:39:28

by Markus Feldmann

Another idea would be to use the MiniPCI Card Unex DNMA-92, but therefor
i need a MiniPCI-to-PCI-Adapter with support for 2 antennas. Anyone know
one for me?

regards Markus