2003-02-26 22:23:53

by Pavel Machek

Subject: BitBucket: GPL-ed BitKeeper clone

Hi!

I've created little project for read-only (for now ;-) bitkeeper
clone. It is available at http://www.sf.net/projects/bitbucket (no tar balls,
just get it fresh from CVS).

Part of readme follows.

Install CSSC from <http://cssc.sf.net/> (it is also available as
Debian package). You may need to apply cssc.diff.

Here you get following tools:

bcheckout_HEAD:
extracts files from BK repository. You can get repository
by rsync -zav --delete nl.linux.org::kernel/linux-2.5 .

bpull:
pull new version of repository, compute differences from
the last time and apply them to directory with *your*
sources.

bdiff:
compare two versions (specify versions from top-level
s.ChangeSet)

To get a list of all changesets, do prs linux-2.5/SCCS/s.ChangeSet.

Enjoy, and help me make it usefull,
Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

2003-03-01 15:18:04

by Larry McVoy

Subject: Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed BitKeeper clone

BitKeeper is a trademark, please don't use the BitKeeper name when
describing BitBucket. Thanks.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:02:12PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've created little project for read-only (for now ;-) bitkeeper
> clone. It is available at http://www.sf.net/projects/bitbucket (no tar balls,
> just get it fresh from CVS).
>
> Part of readme follows.
>

> Install CSSC from <http://cssc.sf.net/> (it is also available as
> Debian package). You may need to apply cssc.diff.
>
> Here you get following tools:
>
> bcheckout_HEAD:
> extracts files from BK repository. You can get repository
> by rsync -zav --delete nl.linux.org::kernel/linux-2.5 .
>
> bpull:
> pull new version of repository, compute differences from
> the last time and apply them to directory with *your*
> sources.
>
> bdiff:
> compare two versions (specify versions from top-level
> s.ChangeSet)
>
> To get a list of all changesets, do prs linux-2.5/SCCS/s.ChangeSet.
>
> Enjoy, and help me make it usefull,
> Pavel
> --
> When do you have a heart between your knees?
> [Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]
> -

---

by Ben Collins

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 07:28:20AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> BitKeeper is a trademark, please don't use the BitKeeper name when
> describing BitBucket. Thanks.

I think he's allowed to use the name so long as he only uses it to
describe what the purpose of the tool is and recognizes in the same
document who the holder of the trademark is. Just the same as someone
can write an article about Windows and Microsoft, or a software product
can claim that it runs under Windows or MacOS.

He's allowed to say "This tool allows you to access a BitKeeper
repository".

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

2003-03-01 16:01:29

by Larry McVoy

He's not allowed to say "BitBucket is a GPL-ed clone of BitKeeper"
because that implies that BitBucket does what BitKeeper does and nothing
could be farther from the truth.

How about we not turn this into a debate? I politely requested that
people not confuse the world into thinking Product A is the same as
Product B, that's all I requested, it's a reasonable request, we don't
need to debate it. If you feel the need to do so, go for it, but do so
knowing that my silence in no way means that I agree or disagree with you.

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 11:02:22AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 07:28:20AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > BitKeeper is a trademark, please don't use the BitKeeper name when
> > describing BitBucket. Thanks.
>
> I think he's allowed to use the name so long as he only uses it to
> describe what the purpose of the tool is and recognizes in the same
> document who the holder of the trademark is. Just the same as someone
> can write an article about Windows and Microsoft, or a software product
> can claim that it runs under Windows or MacOS.
>

> He's allowed to say "This tool allows you to access a BitKeeper
> repository".
>

> --
> Debian - http://www.debian.org/
> Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/
> Subversion - http://subversion.tigris.org/
> Deqo - http://www.deqo.com/
> -

---

by Alan

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 16:11, Larry McVoy wrote:
> He's not allowed to say "BitBucket is a GPL-ed clone of BitKeeper"
> because that implies that BitBucket does what BitKeeper does and nothing
> could be farther from the truth.

Something is wrong, I agree with Larry.

He should instead say "A tool for accessing bitkeeper repositories" or
"bitbucket compatible proprietary tools are available from .. " ;)

2003-03-01 16:33:36

by Ben Collins

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 05:30:42PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 16:11, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > He's not allowed to say "BitBucket is a GPL-ed clone of BitKeeper"
> > because that implies that BitBucket does what BitKeeper does and nothing
> > could be farther from the truth.
>
> Something is wrong, I agree with Larry.
>
> He should instead say "A tool for accessing bitkeeper repositories" or
> "bitbucket compatible proprietary tools are available from .. " ;)

I can agree with that. At first though, he said not to use the name at
all, without regard to wording.

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/
Deqo - http://www.deqo.com/

2003-03-01 16:30:42

by John Bradford

> Something is wrong, I agree with Larry.

Errr, it's the first of March today, not the first of April.

John.

2003-03-01 16:53:51

by Aaron Lehmann

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:02:12PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> It is available at http://www.sf.net/projects/bitbucket (no tar balls,
> just get it fresh from CVS).

It would be better if you stored it in BitKeeper just to piss Larry
off.

2003-03-01 17:09:34

by Bernd Eckenfels

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> It would be better if you stored it in BitKeeper just to piss Larry
> off.

that would be a license violation :)

Greetings
Bernd