2010-04-27 18:15:07

by Benny Halevy

Subject: Merge {nfsv4,pnfs}@linux-nfs.org with [email protected]?

Forwarding to the linux-nfs.org lists.

On Apr. 27, 2010, 21:10 +0300, "J. Bruce Fields" <[email protected]> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 07:44:51PM +0300, Benny Halevy wrote:
> On Apr. 27, 2010, 19:34 +0300, "J. Bruce Fields" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The main lists we've been using are:
> >
> > [email protected]
> > [email protected]
> > [email protected]
> >
> > This seems to be confusing. We've talked before about transitioning
> > away from one (probably [email protected]). Maybe now's the time to
> > start.
>
> I'm all for it.
> Maybe it's time to fold the pnfs list into linux-nfs too.

So, looking back at what we did for the sourceforge list:

- We added something to the footer saying the list is
deprecated. (But if we wanted to be more obnoxious, we could
add it to the top of each message.)

- We subscribed the new list ([email protected]) to the
old list, I guess so newbie bug reports sent to the old list
wouldn't get lost.

Anyone want to object to starting that process for [email protected]?
What about [email protected]?

--b.

2010-04-27 18:33:08

by Myklebust, Trond

> On Apr. 27, 2010, 21:10 +0300, "J. Bruce Fields" <[email protected]> wrote:
> So, looking back at what we did for the sourceforge list:
>
> - We added something to the footer saying the list is
> deprecated. (But if we wanted to be more obnoxious, we could
> add it to the top of each message.)
>
> - We subscribed the new list ([email protected]) to the
> old list, I guess so newbie bug reports sent to the old list
> wouldn't get lost.
>
> Anyone want to object to starting that process for [email protected]?
> What about [email protected]?

ACK to both...

2010-04-27 18:36:59

by Myklebust, Trond

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 14:33 -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > On Apr. 27, 2010, 21:10 +0300, "J. Bruce Fields" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > So, looking back at what we did for the sourceforge list:
> >
> > - We added something to the footer saying the list is
> > deprecated. (But if we wanted to be more obnoxious, we could
> > add it to the top of each message.)
> >
> > - We subscribed the new list ([email protected]) to the
> > old list, I guess so newbie bug reports sent to the old list
> > wouldn't get lost.
> >
> > Anyone want to object to starting that process for [email protected]?
> > What about [email protected]?
>
> ACK to both...

Oh... The other thing to do is to turn off moderation. I'm sure that
Bruce and I have better things to do than to act as spam filters on
legacy mailing lists...

2010-04-28 15:02:58

by J.Bruce Fields

OK. Let's declare both lists deprecated as of now.

That means that if you're subscribed to either:

[email protected], or
[email protected],

and you want to continue receiving list traffic, you should unsubscribe
from those two, and subscribe instead (if you haven't already) to:

[email protected]

You can do this by sending the linux "subscribe linux-nfs" in the body
of a message to [email protected].

I'll work on making the other changes we discussed to both lists.

--b.

by J.Bruce Fields

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:02:58AM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> OK. Let's declare both lists deprecated as of now.
>
> That means that if you're subscribed to either:
>
> [email protected], or
> [email protected],
>
> and you want to continue receiving list traffic, you should unsubscribe
> from those two, and subscribe instead (if you haven't already) to:
>
> [email protected]
>
> You can do this by sending the linux "subscribe linux-nfs" in the body
> of a message to majordomo-u79uwXL29TaiAVqoAR/[email protected]
>
> I'll work on making the other changes we discussed to both lists.

And that should be done. (Apologies for multiple copies of this mail.)

--b.