2008-02-05 06:55:16

by Choi Sonim

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bluez+dbus: why glib binding

hi all,,

i am intersted to understand why did bluez daemon choose to use the
glib binding of dbus.

i understand it is easier than the low level c library.

but - doesn't glib impose a new depedanbility ?

and - does the bluez daemon use glib for something other than dbus ?

thank you all
choi

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] bluez+dbus: why glib binding

Hi Choi,

> > > If not - what do you use instead ? directly the libdus C lowlevel library ?
> > > or some other binding ?
> > > IOW - is it possible to use glib binding without dbus-glib ?
> >
> > You don't get it. The dbus-glib bindings are an integration of dbus into
> > the GObject model (libgobject). We don't use that. Yes, we use glib, but
> > not gobject and yes, we use dbus (low-level libdbus).
>
> Ok, I think I understand.
> In bluez-utils, which is a d-bus server, you use directly the libdbus library,
> just like dbus-daemon does. So the glib is required for completely
> different reasons - not
> for using dbus. am I correct ?

we need the mainloop from glib to make dbus work. Otherwise we would
have to write our own mainloop and that is nasty.

Regards

Marcel

by Choi Sonim

Hi Marcel,

On Feb 5, 2008 4:29 PM, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> > If not - what do you use instead ? directly the libdus C lowlevel library ?
> > or some other binding ?
> > IOW - is it possible to use glib binding without dbus-glib ?
>
> You don't get it. The dbus-glib bindings are an integration of dbus into
> the GObject model (libgobject). We don't use that. Yes, we use glib, but
> not gobject and yes, we use dbus (low-level libdbus).

Ok, I think I understand.
In bluez-utils, which is a d-bus server, you use directly the libdbus library,
just like dbus-daemon does. So the glib is required for completely
different reasons - not
for using dbus. am I correct ?

thank you again very much
choi

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Choi,

> > We use glib for the mainloop, the XML parser and other things.
>
> Does glib impose a big memory footprint on the system or is it ok for
> embedded systems ?

in most cases you need it for some other applications, too. So it is
there anyway. For the Nokia Tablets and OpenMoko it seems good enough.

> > We will have hard dependencies on dbus and glib (not dbus-glib).
>
> Maybe I'm confusing terms - but don't you use dbus' glib binding
> (isn't that dbus-glib?) ?

We use the dbus-glib only in bluez-gnome. The bluez-utils depends on
glib and dbus. And that is different.

On Feb 5, 2008 4:13 PM, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> We use glib for the mainloop, the XML parser and other things.

Does glib impose a big memory footprint on the system or is it ok for
embedded systems ?

> We will have hard dependencies on dbus and glib (not dbus-glib).

Maybe I'm confusing terms - but don't you use dbus' glib binding
(isn't that dbus-glib?) ?

If not - what do you use instead ? directly the libdus C lowlevel library ?
or some other binding ?
IOW - is it possible to use glib binding without dbus-glib ?

thank you very much - you are very helpful !
choi

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Choi,

> i am intersted to understand why did bluez daemon choose to use the
> glib binding of dbus.

the bluez-utils don't depend on dbus-glib. It is an option that we use
for testing and nothing more.

> i understand it is easier than the low level c library.
>
> but - doesn't glib impose a new depedanbility ?
>
> and - does the bluez daemon use glib for something other than dbus ?

We use glib for the mainloop, the XML parser and other things. However
currently you can configure it to use the included eglib which means you
don't have to depend on glib.

However the option to use eglib will go away with the 4.x series. We