2003-05-13 10:44:06

by James Pearson

Subject: Spam in the NFS list

I'm getting more and more spam that's sent to this list (not a great
amount at the moment, but it's not likely to reduce) - is there anything
that can be done to prevent this happening by the list administrators?

Thanks

James Pearson

by Matthew Keller

Subject: Re: Spam in the NFS list

Without closing the list, there's nothing "the list" can do. Your
e-mail provider could/should invest (money, time or both) in anti-spam
technology and then you wouldn't see them... Like me. :)

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 06:43, James Pearson wrote:
> I'm getting more and more spam that's sent to this list (not a great
> amount at the moment, but it's not likely to reduce) - is there anything
> that can be done to prevent this happening by the list administrators?
>
> Thanks
>
> James Pearson

Matthew Keller
Enterprise Systems Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
State University of New York @ Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA
http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

by Jake Gold

Is there any reason for leaving the list open to email from non-subscribed users?

Most of the technical lists that I'm on have adopted a subscriber-only email policy with little resistance from their members...

(This is assuming these spammers aren't subscribing and then sending mail. Which, I'd guess, is rather unlikely...)

Jake

On 13 May 2003 08:18:02 -0400
Matthew Keller <[email protected]> wrote:

> Without closing the list, there's nothing "the list" can do. Your
> e-mail provider could/should invest (money, time or both) in anti-spam
> technology and then you wouldn't see them... Like me. :)
>
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 06:43, James Pearson wrote:
> > I'm getting more and more spam that's sent to this list (not a great
> > amount at the moment, but it's not likely to reduce) - is there anything
> > that can be done to prevent this happening by the list administrators?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > James Pearson

> Matthew Keller
> Enterprise Systems Analyst
> Computing & Technology Services
> State University of New York @ Potsdam
> Potsdam, NY USA
> http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

Jake Gold
Systems Engineer
DTI Services, Inc.

by Matthew Keller

Generally, open source development lists stay open- Especially Source
Forge lists. I'm the "list mom" for a couple, and anytime I bring up the
idea of closing the list I get a barrage of "I don't want to subscribe
to the evil/facist SourceForge service". This is, of course, moot for
most people, and *I* prefer closed lists, but there are all sorts of
people out there. Just something to think about.

--
Matthew Keller
Enterprise Systems Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
State University of New York @ Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA
http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

by H. J. Lu

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:44:46AM -0700, Jake Gold wrote:

> Is there any reason for leaving the list open to email from non-subscribed users?

Done.

H.J.

by James Pearson

Does anyone on this list object to the list becoming closed?

James Pearson

Matthew Keller wrote:

> Generally, open source development lists stay open- Especially Source
> Forge lists. I'm the "list mom" for a couple, and anytime I bring up the
> idea of closing the list I get a barrage of "I don't want to subscribe
> to the evil/facist SourceForge service". This is, of course, moot for
> most people, and *I* prefer closed lists, but there are all sorts of
> people out there. Just something to think about.
>
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 09:44, Jake Gold wrote:
> > Is there any reason for leaving the list open to email from non-subscribed users?
> >
> > Most of the technical lists that I'm on have adopted a subscriber-only email policy with little resistance from their members...
> >
> > (This is assuming these spammers aren't subscribing and then sending mail. Which, I'd guess, is rather unlikely...)
>
> --
> Matthew Keller
> Enterprise Systems Analyst
> Computing & Technology Services
> State University of New York @ Potsdam
> Potsdam, NY USA
> http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

by Bogdan Costescu

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Jake Gold wrote:

> Is there any reason for leaving the list open to email from
> non-subscribed users?

Yes: receiving bug reports. This is the same reason why linux-kernel,
linux-smp and others cannot become closed.

> Most of the technical lists that I'm on have adopted a subscriber-only
> email policy with little resistance from their members...

This would be fine if only developers are on it. They are interested in
being on the list for as long as possible, while people posting just to
report a bug/crash/problem would just want to get some advice on their
specific bug/crash/problem and then go away.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: [email protected]

by Klaus Steinberger

>>Does anyone on this list object to the list becoming closed?

Closing the list on a subscriber only basis is ok for me.

I prefer to not get SPAM through the list.

Sincerly,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger Maier-Leibnitz Labor
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287 Am Coulombwall 6, D-85748 Garching, Germany

by Bryan O'Sullivan

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 07:48, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> Yes: receiving bug reports. This is the same reason why linux-kernel,
> linux-smp and others cannot become closed.

Have you ever looked at the number of bug reports on l-k from
non-subscribers that get listened to? It's approximately zero, and has
been for years.

<b

by Andreas Metzler

Bryan O'Sullivan <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 07:48, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
>> Yes: receiving bug reports. This is the same reason why linux-kernel,
>> linux-smp and others cannot become closed.

> Have you ever looked at the number of bug reports on l-k from
> non-subscribers that get listened to? It's approximately zero, and has
> been for years.
[...]

I recently found a bug, sent some mails there[1] and got a patch[2] that
fixed the problem for me.
cu andreas
[1] <[email protected]> ff., <[email protected]>
[2] <[email protected]>

by Jose Santiago

I would hate to see the list become closed. Would it be possible to
check for NFS in the subject line and require that everyone wanting to
post use these 3 letters somewhere in the subject line?

by Santiago Flores

I am for closing the list. Most lists that I subscribe to (all but 1)
require that a person subscribe to interact with the list. It works very
well for the other lists and I do not think it would be detrimental to this
list. I came here originally looking for a solution to a problem. I
subscribed.

Santiago

On 13 May 2003, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> Have you ever looked at the number of bug reports on l-k from
> non-subscribers that get listened to? It's approximately zero, and has
> been for years.

I cannot comment on this as I dropped off from l-k because of the high
volume.

Now, imagine the situation where your most important NFS server crashes,
then crashes again and again and you start pulling your hair out not
knowing what's happening and being pressed by your boss to find a
solution. Would you be happy if in trying to contact the people that
can help you you'd have to first subscribe to a mailing list _knowing_
that you have nothing in common and do not understand much of what is
discussed on this list and would probably unsubscribe as soon as a
solution was found for your problem ?

Even more, I think this whole discussion is not very useful. If this list
is the only one that you are subscribed to, then I understand your point.
But even so, it might be archived somewhere without address protection and
a spider will be able to find your address and send messages directly to
you.
If you'd be subscribed to tens of lists (like I am) you'd soon realize
that you can't ask all lists to be closed just so that you are protected.
The best solution is what _you_ can control, be it your own e-mail server
with filtering, using procmail or just abusing the "d" key...

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: [email protected]

by Steven N. Hirsch

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Jake Gold wrote:
>
> > Is there any reason for leaving the list open to email from
> > non-subscribed users?
>
> Yes: receiving bug reports. This is the same reason why linux-kernel,
> linux-smp and others cannot become closed.
>
> > Most of the technical lists that I'm on have adopted a subscriber-only
> > email policy with little resistance from their members...
>
> This would be fine if only developers are on it. They are interested in
> being on the list for as long as possible, while people posting just to
> report a bug/crash/problem would just want to get some advice on their
> specific bug/crash/problem and then go away.

Spamassassin + Bayesian classifier is nailing 100% of this crap on my
system. Didn't even realize it was occuring until seeing this thread and
checking the (overflowing) spam bucket.

Steve

by NeilBrown

On Tuesday May 13, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:44:46AM -0700, Jake Gold wrote:
> >
> > Is there any reason for leaving the list open to email from non-subscribed users?
> >

> Done.

I would appreciate if you would undo that, at least until a reasonable
discussion has been had among the subscribers.

NeilBrown

by NeilBrown

On Tuesday May 13, [email protected] wrote:

> Is there any reason for leaving the list open to email from non-subscribed users?
>
> Most of the technical lists that I'm on have adopted a
> subscriber-only email policy with little resistance from their
> members...

No resistance from the members, but ofcourse it isn't the members who
this inconveniences, at least not directly.

I am very much against making this list closed. I want bug reports to
be sent here. I tell people who send bug reports to be personally to
send them here. It means that more people can share the support load,
and it means that questions and answers get archived. Anything that
decreases the ease of bug reports getting to this list is a BAD THING.

As far as spam goes, I agree that spam is a problem, but I think that
hiding is not the right solution.
I don't feel there is an enormous amount of spam on this list
(certainly as a percentage) but I agree that it has been increasing.
I am on several @vger.kernel.org lists and they get substantially less
spam (though not zero). This is because the admins have set up
filters that discard lots of common spam. One would expect that a
similar thing would be available on sourceforge, though I haven't
looked.

In short, I am happy to raise the barrier to sending mail a little,
e.g. to exclude HTML-only email and some common strings - see
http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-taboos.txt

but I am not happy to raise it so high that only subscribers can post.

NeilBrown

by Trond Myklebust

> In short, I am happy to raise the barrier to sending mail a
> little, e.g. to exclude HTML-only email and some common strings
> - see
> http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-taboos.txt

> but I am not happy to raise it so high that only subscribers
> can post.

I fully agree with Neil's opinion.

Only a tiny fraction of the spam I recieve daily comes through this
list, and almost all of that again is killed by a simple rule-based
filter that I maintain (no fancy Bayesian stuff - just common sense).

Cheers,
Trond

by Philippe Gramoullé

Hello Bogdan,

We run many critical Linux NFS servers ( and hundreds of Linux clients as w=
ell) and have been doing so for a long time now.
I can't even imagine not being subscribed to this list for any serious sysa=
dmin running Linux NFS servers (and/or clients)
Actually, reading the daily posts from all the MLs, especially the NFS one =
is something i
do daily when i arrive at work.

Software have bugs, so i wouldn't hope to run bug free/ crash free Linux se=
rvers once it's installed.

To sum up, i wouldn't see any objection to have this list closed. IMHO, eve=
ryone that is concerned with running
Linux NFS servers/clients should be subscribed to this list :)

Thanks,

Philippe

--

Philippe Gramoull=E9
[email protected]

On Tue, 13 May 2003 19:16:49 +0200 (CEST)
Bogdan Costescu <[email protected]> wrote:

| Now, imagine the situation where your most important NFS server crashes=
,=20
| then crashes again and again and you start pulling your hair out not=20
| knowing what's happening and being pressed by your boss to find a=20
| solution. Would you be happy if in trying to contact the people that=20
| can help you you'd have to first subscribe to a mailing list _knowing_=
=20
| that you have nothing in common and do not understand much of what is=20
| discussed on this list and would probably unsubscribe as soon as a=20
| solution was found for your problem ?

by Lever, Charles

very nicely stated-- i agree totally.

philosophically, i'm on the side of letting
individuals decide on their own tolerance for
spam, and then they can choose their own way
of managing it.

but i also agree that, because this is a
technical support list, it should be open
for non-subscribers.