2010-05-19 17:34:53

by Kurt Garloff

Subject: WLAN Regulatory Domain Germany

Hi,

studying the three documents

WLAN 5GHz (Vfg. 7/2010)
http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf

WLAN 2.4GHz (Vfg. 89/2003)
http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38214/publicationFile/2557/FundstelleId313pdf.pdf

Frequenznutzungsplan
http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf

I think the data in db.txt is slightly inaccurate.

Find below my suggested entry into db.txt.
Suggested changes:
* Updated references (they restructured their webserver/CMS it seems)
* Split 5150 -- 5350 range into two
- the first range does not require DFS
* 5470 -- 5725 does not have a NO-OUTDOOR requirement
- (and 500mW translates to 27db, not 26db AFAICT)

Sidenote: The values include lowering txpower by a factor of 2 (3db)
for non TPC devices -- the wording in Vfg. 7/2010 does NOT require
this for 5150 -- 5250; so we could actually use 200mW/23db there. As
this is out of line with the neighbour countries, I have sticked with
the conservative value of 100mW here.

What is the process for checking the correctness and getting the crda DB
updated?

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
# http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
# For the 5GHz range also see
# http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
# The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devcies
# (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).

country DE:
# entries 279004 and 280006
(2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
# entry 303005
(5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
# entries 304002 and 305002
(5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
# entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
(5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Or in db, as displayed by iw reg get)
country DE:
(2400 - 2483 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
(5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR
(5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
(5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 27), DFS

PS: I'm not subscribed, please copy responses to me.

Best,
--
Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> [Private, Koeln]
Linux: VP OPS PartnerEng <[email protected]> [Novell Inc]

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.57 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Kurt Garloff

Subject: Re: WLAN Regulatory Domain Germany

Luis,

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 03:20:24PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> wrote:
> > country DE:
> > ? ? ? ?# entries 279004 and 280006
> > ? ? ? ?(2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
> > ? ? ? ?# entry 303005
> > ? ? ? ?(5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
> > ? ? ? ?# entries 304002 and 305002
> > ? ? ? ?(5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> > ? ? ? ?# entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
> > ? ? ? ?(5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS
> >
> > 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > (Or in db, as displayed by iw reg get)
> > country DE:
> > ? ? ? ?(2400 - 2483 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
> > ? ? ? ?(5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR
> > ? ? ? ?(5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> > ? ? ? ?(5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 27), DFS
> >
> > PS: I'm not subscribed, please copy responses to me.
>
> Thanks for the e-mail and your review, I've passed this to our
> regulatory gods and it is now being picked at and reviewed.

Thanks.

Two more remarks:
- Having looked at the framework how we handle this regulatory stuff
in Linux these days, it looks very reasonable to me -- good job!
- The frequencies above (from Frequenznutzungsplan = freq. util. plan)
are really the limits of the frequency ranges to be used, not channel
center freqs. So if we'd have to put possible center freqs in there
and assume 22MHz (+-11MHz) for the 2.4 GHz range, we'd need to put
2411 -- 2472.5 in the DB. Likewise, assuming 20MHz (+-10MHz for the
5GHz range, we'd specify 5160 -- 5240, 5240 -- 5340 and 5480 -- 5715),
of, for 40MHz(+-20MHz) channels, it would be 5170 -- 5230, 5230 --
5330 and 5490 -- 5705. Such values are displayed with iw reg get
for our neighbors NL, FR, ... which gave me the idea that we might
not have the real boundaries in the db, but center freqs.
That said, I'd think real boundaries make more sense, as channel
widths may evolve over time ...

Kurt Garloff, VP OPS Partner Engineering -- Novell Inc.

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.04 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> studying the three documents
>
> WLAN 5GHz (Vfg. 7/2010)
> http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
>
> WLAN 2.4GHz (Vfg. 89/2003)
> http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38214/publicationFile/2557/FundstelleId313pdf.pdf
>
> Frequenznutzungsplan
> http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
>
> I think the data in db.txt is slightly inaccurate.
>
> Find below my suggested entry into db.txt.
> Suggested changes:
> * Updated references (they restructured their webserver/CMS it seems)
> * Split 5150 -- 5350 range into two
>  - the first range does not require DFS
> * 5470 -- 5725 does not have a NO-OUTDOOR requirement
>  - (and 500mW translates to 27db, not 26db AFAICT)
>
> Sidenote: The values include lowering txpower by a factor of 2 (3db)
>  for non TPC devices -- the wording in Vfg. 7/2010 does NOT require
>  this for 5150 -- 5250; so we could actually use 200mW/23db there. As
>  this is out of line with the neighbour countries, I have sticked with
>  the conservative value of 100mW here.
>
> What is the process for checking the correctness and getting the crda DB
> updated?
>
> 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> # Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
> # For the 5GHz range also see
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
> # The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devcies
> # (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).
>
> country DE:
>        # entries 279004 and 280006
>        (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
>        # entry 303005
>        (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
>        # entries 304002 and 305002
>        (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
>        # entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
>        (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS
>
> 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> (Or in db, as displayed by iw reg get)
> country DE:
>        (2400 - 2483 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
>        (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR
>        (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
>        (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 27), DFS
>
> PS: I'm not subscribed, please copy responses to me.

Thanks for the e-mail and your review, I've passed this to our
regulatory gods and it is now being picked at and reviewed.

Luis

2010-05-20 07:04:14

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> wrote:
> Luis,
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 03:20:24PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > country DE:
>> >        # entries 279004 and 280006
>> >        (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
>> >        # entry 303005
>> >        (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
>> >        # entries 304002 and 305002
>> >        (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
>> >        # entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
>> >        (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS
>> >
>> > 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > (Or in db, as displayed by iw reg get)
>> > country DE:
>> >        (2400 - 2483 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
>> >        (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR
>> >        (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 20), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
>> >        (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 27), DFS
>> >
>> > PS: I'm not subscribed, please copy responses to me.
>>
>> Thanks for the e-mail and your review, I've passed this to our
>> regulatory gods and it is now being picked at and reviewed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Two more remarks:
> - Having looked at the framework how we handle this regulatory stuff
>  in Linux these days, it looks very reasonable to me -- good job!

Thanks! Thank Johannes as well :)

> - The frequencies above (from Frequenznutzungsplan = freq. util. plan)
>  are really the limits of the frequency ranges to be used, not channel
>  center freqs. So if we'd have to put possible center freqs in there
>  and assume 22MHz (+-11MHz) for the 2.4 GHz range, we'd need to put
>  2411 -- 2472.5 in the DB. Likewise, assuming 20MHz (+-10MHz for the
>  5GHz range, we'd specify 5160 -- 5240, 5240 -- 5340 and 5480 -- 5715),
>  of, for 40MHz(+-20MHz) channels, it would be 5170 -- 5230, 5230 --
>  5330 and 5490 -- 5705. Such values are displayed with iw reg get
>  for our neighbors NL, FR, ... which gave me the idea that we might
>  not have the real boundaries in the db, but center freqs.
>  That said, I'd think real boundaries make more sense, as channel
>  widths may evolve over time ...

The db.txt rules uses the exact ranges, not the center of freq, the
bandwidth indicates the maximum bandwidth allowed. We had also revised
on linux-wireless some changes to make for future more complex
considerations. For details see:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/todo-list

Luis

2010-05-25 15:19:10

by Kurt Garloff

Johannes,

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:37:26AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > # Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
> > # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
> > # For the 5GHz range also see
> > # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
> > # The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devcies
> > # (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).
> >
> > country DE:
> > # entries 279004 and 280006
> > (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
> > # entry 303005
> > (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
> > # entries 304002 and 305002
> > (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> > # entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
> > (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS
>
> I haven't verified the entries in the Frequenznutzungsplan itself, but
> according to the second document this seems fine. I think there ought to
> be a comment in the db.txt file indicating the rationale for using 100mW
> rather than 200mW.

OK, new suggestion.

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
# http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
# For the 5GHz range also see
# http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
# The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devices
# (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).
# Note that the docs do not require TPC for 5150--5250; the reduction to
# 100mW thus is not strictly required -- however the conservative 100mW
# limit is used here as the non-interference with radar and satellite
# apps relies on the attenuation by the building walls only in the
# absence of DFS; the neighbour countries have 100mW limit here as well.

country DE:
# entries 279004 and 280006
? ? ? ?(2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
? ? ? ?# entry 303005
? ? ? ?(5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
? ? ? ?# entries 304002 and 305002
? ? ? ?(5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
? ? ? ?# entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
? ? ? ?(5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS

8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we actually put several entries covering the same frequency range?
Then we could put 200mW for DFS and 100mW for non-DFS.
This would also address the next issue you raise ...

> Also note that there are different requirements depending on the channel
> bandwidth, which will eventually come up in Linux too. But I think for
> that we need the new database format for that ... yet another thing to
> do before we can support 5/10 MHz channels.

Indeed. For 5150 -- 5350, the spectral power density may not exceed
10mW/MHz (and overall emitted power in the range per device not 200mW);
this gives a limit of 200mW for 20MHz channels or 100mW if no TPC is
used for 5250 -- 5350. (For 5470--5725 use 5x those values.)
I'm not aware of WLAN devices with narrower channels yet, but if they
come into existence, we'd have to reflect it somehow ...

Best,
--
Kurt Garloff, VP OPS Partner Engineering -- Novell Inc.

Attachments:
(No filename) (3.60 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Johannes Berg

Hi,

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 19:29 +0200, Kurt Garloff wrote:

> WLAN 5GHz (Vfg. 7/2010)
> http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf

> Find below my suggested entry into db.txt.
> Suggested changes:
> * Updated references (they restructured their webserver/CMS it seems)
> * Split 5150 -- 5350 range into two
> - the first range does not require DFS
> * 5470 -- 5725 does not have a NO-OUTDOOR requirement
> - (and 500mW translates to 27db, not 26db AFAICT)
>
> Sidenote: The values include lowering txpower by a factor of 2 (3db)
> for non TPC devices -- the wording in Vfg. 7/2010 does NOT require
> this for 5150 -- 5250; so we could actually use 200mW/23db there. As
> this is out of line with the neighbour countries, I have sticked with
> the conservative value of 100mW here.
>
> What is the process for checking the correctness and getting the crda DB
> updated?
>
> 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> # Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
> # For the 5GHz range also see
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
> # The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devcies
> # (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).
>
> country DE:
> # entries 279004 and 280006
> (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
> # entry 303005
> (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
> # entries 304002 and 305002
> (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> # entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
> (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS

I haven't verified the entries in the Frequenznutzungsplan itself, but
according to the second document this seems fine. I think there ought to
be a comment in the db.txt file indicating the rationale for using 100mW
rather than 200mW.

Also note that there are different requirements depending on the channel
bandwidth, which will eventually come up in Linux too. But I think for
that we need the new database format for that ... yet another thing to
do before we can support 5/10 MHz channels.

johannes

2010-05-25 15:26:03

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 17:14 +0200, Kurt Garloff wrote:

> OK, new suggestion.
>
> 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> # Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
> # For the 5GHz range also see
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
> # The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devices
> # (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).
> # Note that the docs do not require TPC for 5150--5250; the reduction to
> # 100mW thus is not strictly required -- however the conservative 100mW
> # limit is used here as the non-interference with radar and satellite
> # apps relies on the attenuation by the building walls only in the
> # absence of DFS; the neighbour countries have 100mW limit here as well.
>
> country DE:
> # entries 279004 and 280006
> (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
> # entry 303005
> (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
> # entries 304002 and 305002
> (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> # entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
> (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS

Ok, that looks fine to me.

> Can we actually put several entries covering the same frequency range?
> Then we could put 200mW for DFS and 100mW for non-DFS.
> This would also address the next issue you raise ...

I think you're confusing DFS and TPC requirements? Anyway, no, we can't
right now.

> > Also note that there are different requirements depending on the channel
> > bandwidth, which will eventually come up in Linux too. But I think for
> > that we need the new database format for that ... yet another thing to
> > do before we can support 5/10 MHz channels.
>
> Indeed. For 5150 -- 5350, the spectral power density may not exceed
> 10mW/MHz (and overall emitted power in the range per device not 200mW);
> this gives a limit of 200mW for 20MHz channels or 100mW if no TPC is
> used for 5250 -- 5350. (For 5470--5725 use 5x those values.)
> I'm not aware of WLAN devices with narrower channels yet, but if they
> come into existence, we'd have to reflect it somehow ...

They exist, we just don't support them right now ... I put it on the
todo list for now.

johannes

2010-06-18 18:45:12

by John W. Linville

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 05:14:29PM +0200, Kurt Garloff wrote:

> OK, new suggestion.
>
> 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> # Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
> # For the 5GHz range also see
> # http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
> # The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devices
> # (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).
> # Note that the docs do not require TPC for 5150--5250; the reduction to
> # 100mW thus is not strictly required -- however the conservative 100mW
> # limit is used here as the non-interference with radar and satellite
> # apps relies on the attenuation by the building walls only in the
> # absence of DFS; the neighbour countries have 100mW limit here as well.
>
> country DE:
> # entries 279004 and 280006
> ? ? ? ?(2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
> ? ? ? ?# entry 303005
> ? ? ? ?(5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
> ? ? ? ?# entries 304002 and 305002
> ? ? ? ?(5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> ? ? ? ?# entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
> ? ? ? ?(5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS
>
> 8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this what we want? Are you going to submit an actual patch?

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2010-11-18 18:29:15

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Re: [PATCH] wireless-regdb: update rules for DE

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM, John W. Linville
<[email protected]> wrote:
> From: Kurt Garloff <[email protected]>
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=127480075306482&w=2
>
> Cc: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <[email protected]>
> Acked-by: Johannes Berg <[email protected]>
> Signed-off-by: John W. Linville <[email protected]>
> ---
> Time to clear the logjam...

Michael, are you subscribed to wireless-regdb now? Did you get this e-mail? ACK?

Luis

>  db.txt |   24 +++++++++++++++++-------
>  1 files changed, 17 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/db.txt b/db.txt
> index e63a43e..40a8bbc 100644
> --- a/db.txt
> +++ b/db.txt
> @@ -176,17 +176,27 @@ country CZ:
>        (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 200 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
>        (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 1000 mW), DFS
>
> -# Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008),
> -# downloaded from http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/media/archive/13358.pdf
> -# Also applicable is http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/media/archive/5009.pdf
> -# On the 5 GHz ranges TX power can be doubled if TPC is implemented.
> +# Data from "Frequenznutzungsplan" (as published in April 2008), downloaded from
> +# http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38448/publicationFile/2659/Frequenznutzungsplan2008_Id17448pdf.pdf
> +# For the 5GHz range also see
> +# http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/38216/publicationFile/6579/WLAN5GHzVfg7_2010_28042010pdf.pdf
> +# The values have been reduced by a factor of 2 (3db) for non TPC devices
> +# (in other words: devices with TPC can use twice the tx power of this table).
> +# Note that the docs do not require TPC for 5150--5250; the reduction to
> +# 100mW thus is not strictly required -- however the conservative 100mW
> +# limit is used here as the non-interference with radar and satellite
> +# apps relies on the attenuation by the building walls only in the
> +# absence of DFS; the neighbour countries have 100mW limit here as well.
> +
>  country DE:
>        # entries 279004 and 280006
>        (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
> -       # entries 303005, 304002 and 305002
> -       (5150 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> +       # entry 303005
> +       (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
> +       # entries 304002 and 305002
> +       (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
>        # entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
> -       (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> +       (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS
>
>  country DK:
>        (2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
> --
> 1.7.3.2

2010-11-19 02:05:53

by John W. Linville

FWIW, I'm out on Friday anyway -- it's my birthday! :-)

--
John W. Linville ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?might be all we have. ?Be ready.

2010-11-17 21:44:53

by John W. Linville

[...]

2010-11-19 18:06:14

by Kurt Garloff

Luis,

thanks for explaining.

Michael,

This is about Germany (DE) not Danmark (DK) ...

Devices without DFS would not have worked before in Germany.

Best,
--
Kurt Garloff, VP OPS Partner Engineering -- Novell Inc.
SUSE: Supporting Linux since 1992.

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:12:55AM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> No Michael, let me review the patch with you and I'll comment on each
> change it makes to make it clear to you. The lines with no - or + on
> the left mean that the line is left intact, its present just for
> reference. The lines with - mean that the line is being removed. The
> lines with + mean that the line is being added. So we have:
>
> # entries 279004 and 280006
> (2400 - 2483.5 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW)
> - # entries 303005, 304002 and 305002
> - (5150 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> + # entry 303005
> + (5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR
>
> So the 5150 - 5350 range is being reduced to 5150 - 5250 and removing
> DFS as a requirement for that range.
>
> + # entries 304002 and 305002
> + (5250 - 5350 @ 40), (N/A, 100 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
>
> The removed bit of frequency gets added back but with DFS left as a requirement.
>
> # entries 308002, 309001 and 310003
> - (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS
> + (5470 - 5725 @ 40), (N/A, 500 mW), DFS
>
> And finally, the 5470 - 5725 range now is being changed to allow
> outdoor operation.
>
> Let me know if this makes things clearer.
>
> Luis
>

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Michael Green
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is the issue that the regdb currently limits DK to 2.4GHz operation (5GHz is disabled)?
> >
> > If I understand this email string, then clearly DK should be corrected to enable 5GHz operation.
> >
> > I believe DK should be set to the same 5GHz channel and power settings per the Harmonized standard EN301 893. This is true of all countries that accept CE Marking.
> >
> > If this patch/issue is about something else, then please let me know.
> >
> > tks,
> >
> > Michael Green
> > Atheros Communications, Inc.
> > [email protected]
> > Desk: ? +1-781-400-1491

(No filename) (7.27 kB)
(No filename) (190.00 B)

by Michael Green
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