2001-12-21 18:00:48

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Linux 2.4.17

Well,

Here it is...

final:

- Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
- Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
Irongate chipset configuration compile
correctly (Michal Jaegermann)

rc2:

- Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
- sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read
failure (Christoph Hellwig)
- NTFS bugfixes (Anton Altaparmakov)
- Fix Netfilter oops (Edward Killips)
- Direct IO error handling fix (Masaroni Goto)
- Fix loop device deadlock (Andrea Arcangeli)
- Make some erroneously global spinlocks
static (David C. Hansen)
- Avoid i810 driver from oopsing with 830ME (Robert Love)
- Reiserfs fixes (Oleg Drokin/Chris Mason)
- Fix VM "not-swapping" issue with lowmem
machines (Rik van Riel)
- Make kernel try a bit harder to shrink caches
instead swapping out (me)
- Make NCR5380 compile builtin (Erik Andersen)
- More __devexit_p fixes (Daniel T. Chen)
- devfs bugfixes (Richard Gooch)

rc1:

- Finish MODULE_LICENSE fixups for fs/nls (Mark Hymers)
- Console race fix (Andrew Morton/Robert Love)
- Configure.help update (Eric S. Raymond)
- Correctly fix Direct IO bug (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
- Turn off aacraid debugging (Alan Cox)
- Added missing spinlocking in do_loopback() (Alexander Viro)
- Added missing __devexit_p() in i82092
pcmcia driver (Keith Owens)
- ns83820 zerocopy bugfix (Benjamin LaHaise)
- Fix VM problems where cache/buffers didn't get
freed (me)

pre8:

- ext3 quota fix (Neil Brown)
- Add __devexit_p() to ISDN driver (Kai Germaschewski)
- Declare missing function on fdomain.h (Eyal Lebedinsky)
- Add Sony Vaio PCG-Z600NE to broken APM
reporting blacklist (Kai Germaschewski)
- ns83820 driver update (Benjamin LaHaise)
- pas16 driver cleanup (Alan Cox)
- disable console flush on secondary CPUs on
IA64 (Andrew Morton)
- fix typo on parport's ChangeLog (Tim Waugh)
- fix use count for multiple queued requests on
closed fd (Douglas Gilbert)
- Check return value of get_user() on
set_vesa_blanking (Jeff Garzik)
- Remove asm/segment.h include from nbd (Jeff Garzik)
- Guard sysrq.h against multiple inclusion (Jeff Garzik)
- Minor PCI skeleton changes (Jeff Garzik)
- Add via rhine MMIO to Configure.help (Jeff Garzik)
- Jeff Garzik is not the via82cxxx driver
maintainer anymore: "No time, no hardware". (Jeff Garzik)
- Remove old tulip documentation (Jeff Garzik)
- Avoid direct IO's "misunderstanding" of which
block device it should use (Masanori Goto)
- Remove mcheck_init() call from processor
dependant code and put it in unified codepath (Dave Jones)
- Netfilter bugfixes (Harald Welte)

pre7:

- More USB updates (Greg KH)
- Add missing checks on shmat() (Christoph Rohland)
- ymfpci update (Pete Zaitcev)
- Add aacraid driver (Alan Cox)
- Actually apply some of the Alan's changes
which were on pre6 changelog. (silly me)
- Clean up t128 SCSI driver (Alan Cox)
- Clean up dtc SCSI driver (Alan Cox)
- Undo lcall patch from -pre6 (me)
- More ISDN updates (Kai Germaschewski)

pre6:

- ISDN fixes (Kai Germaschewski)
- Eicon driver updates (Kai Germaschewski)
- ymfpci update (Pete Zaitcev)
- Fix multithread coredump deadlock (Manfred Spraul)
- Support /dev/kmem access to vmalloc space (Marc Boucher)
- ext3 fixes/enhancements (Andrew Morton)
- Add IT8172G driver to Config.in/Makefile (Giacomo Catenazzi)
- Configure.help update (Eric S. Raymond)
- Create __devexit_p() function and use that on
drivers which need it to make it possible to
use newer binutils (Keith Owens)
- Make PCMCIA compile without PCI support (Paul Mackerras)
- Use copy_user_highpage instead copy_highpage
on COW path. (David S. Miller)
- Cacheline align some more performance
critical spinlocks (Anton Blanchard)
- sonypi driver update (Michael C.B. Ashley/Bob Donnelly)
- direct render for some SiS cards (Torsten Duwe/Alan Cox)
- full handling of the NFSv3 'jukebox' feature (Trond Myklebust)
- NFS performance improvements (Trond Myklebust)
- More parport fixes (Tim Waugh)
- Fix lots of core NCR5380 bugs (Alan Cox)
- NCR5380/PAS driver update (Alan Cox)
- Add aacraid to the SCSI list (Alan Cox)
- fdomain driver fixes (Alan Cox)

pre5:

- 8139too fixes (Andreas Dilger)
- sym53c8xx_2 update (Gerard Roudier)
- loopback deadlock bugfix (Jan Kara)
- Yet another devfs update (Richard Gooch)
- Enable K7 SSE (John Clemens)
- Make grab_cache_page return NULL instead
ERR_PTR: callers expect NULL on failure (Christoph Hellwig)
- Make ide-{disk-floppy} compile without
PROCFS support (Robert Love)
- Another ymfpci update (Pete Zaitcev)
- indent NCR5380.{c,h}, g_NCR5380.{c,h}, plus
NCR5380 fix (Alan Cox)
- SPARC32/64 update (David S. Miller)
- Fix atyfb warnings (David S. Miller)
- Make bootmem init code correctly align
bootmem data (David S. Miller)
- Networking updates (David S. Miller)
- Fix scanning luns > 7 on SCSI-3 devices (Michael Clark)
- Add sparse lun hint for Chaparral G8324
Fibre-SCSI controller (Michael Clark)
- Really apply sg changes (me)
- Parport updates (Tim Waugh)
- ReiserFS updates (Vladimir V. Saveliev)
- Make AGP code scan all kinds of devices:
they are not always video ones (Alan Cox)
- EXPORT_NO_SYMBOLS in floppy.c (Alan Cox)
- Pentium IV Hyperthreading support (Alan Cox)

pre4:

- Added missing tcp_diag.c and tcp_diag.h (me)

pre3:

- Enable ppro errata workaround (Dave Jones)
- Update tmpfs documentation (Christoph Rohland)
- Fritz!PCIv2 ISDN card support (Kai Germaschewski)
- Really apply ymfpci changes (Pete Zaitcev)
- USB update (Greg KH)
- Adds detection of more eepro100 cards (Troy A. Griffitts)
- Make ftruncate64() compliant with SuS (Andrew Morton)
- ATI64 fb driver update (Geert Uytterhoeven)
- Coda fixes (Jan Harkes)
- devfs update (Richard Gooch)
- Fix ad1848 breakage in -pre2 (Alan Cox)
- Network updates (David S. Miller)
- Add cramfs locking (Christoph Hellwig)
- Move locking of page_table_lock on expand_stack
before accessing any vma field (Manfred Spraul)
- Make time monotonous with gettimeofday (Andi Kleen)
- Add MODULE_LICENSE(GPL) to ide-tape.c (Mikael Pettersson)
- Minor cs46xx ioctl fix (Thomas Woller)

pre2:

- Remove userland header from bonding driver (David S. Miller)
- Create a SLAB for page tables on i386 (Christoph Hellwig)
- Unregister devices at shaper unload time (David S. Miller)
- Remove several unused variables from various
places in the kernel (David S. Miller)
- Fix slab code to not blindly trust cc_data():
it may be not valid on some platforms (David S. Miller)
- Fix RTC driver bug (David S. Miller)
- SPARC 32/64 update (David S. Miller)
- W9966 V4L driver update (Jakob Jemi)
- ad1848 driver fixes (Alan Cox/Daniel T. Cobra)
- PCMCIA update (David Hinds)
- Fix PCMCIA problem with multiple PCI busses (Paul Mackerras)
- Correctly free per-process signal struct (Dave McCracken)
- IA64 PAL/signal headers cleanup (Nathan Myers)
- ymfpci driver cleanup (Pete Zaitcev)
- Change NLS "licenses" to be "GPL/BSD" instead
only BSD. (Robert Love)
- Fix serial module use count (Russell King)
- Update sg to 3.1.22 (Douglas Gilbert)
- ieee1394 update (Ben Collins)
- ReiserFS fixes (Nikita Danilov)
- Update ACPI documentantion (Patrick Mochel)
- Smarter atime update (Andrew Morton)
- Correctly mark ext2 sb as dirty and sync it (Andrew Morton)
- IrDA update (Jean Tourrilhes)
- Count locked buffers at
balance_dirty_state(): Helps interactivity under
heavy IO workloads (Andrew Morton)
- USB update (Greg KH)
- ide-scsi locking fix (Christoph Hellwig)

pre1:

- Change USB maintainer (Greg Kroah-Hartman)
- Speeling fix for rd.c (From Ralf Baechle's tree)
- Updated URL for bigphysmem patch in v4l docs (Adrian Bunk)
- Add buggy 440GX to broken pirq blacklist (Arjan Van de Ven)
- Add new entry to Sound blaster ISAPNP list (Arjan Van de Ven)
- Remove crap character from Configure.help (Niels Kristian Bech Jensen)
- Backout erroneous change to lookup_exec_domain (Christoph Hellwig)
- Update osst sound driver to 1.65 (Willem Riede)
- Fix i810 sound driver problems (Andris Pavenis)
- Add AF_LLC define in network headers (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo)
- block_size cleanup on some SCSI drivers (Erik Andersen)
- Added missing MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") in some (Andreas Krennmair)
modules
- Add ->show_options() to super_ops and
implement NFS method (Alexander Viro)
- Updated i8k driver (Massimo Dal Zoto)
- devfs update (Richard Gooch)

2001-12-21 19:29:42

by Kwijibo

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.17

My bad, I had a wrong sym link. Doh. It works.

Steven

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> [...]
>- Add buggy 440GX to broken pirq blacklist (Arjan Van de Ven)
>- Add new entry to Sound blaster ISAPNP list (Arjan Van de Ven)
>- Remove crap character from Configure.help (Niels Kristian Bech Jensen)
>- Backout erroneous change to lookup_exec_domain (Christoph Hellwig)
>- Update osst sound driver to 1.65 (Willem Riede)
>- Fix i810 sound driver problems (Andris Pavenis)
>- Add AF_LLC define in network headers (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo)
>- block_size cleanup on some SCSI drivers (Erik Andersen)
>- Added missing MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") in some (Andreas Krennmair)
> modules
>- Add ->show_options() to super_ops and
> implement NFS method (Alexander Viro)
>- Updated i8k driver (Massimo Dal Zoto)
>- devfs update (Richard Gooch)
>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Kwijibo

I think the patch is botched. Here is an output from patch -p0 <
patch-2.4.17,
same patch command I used for all other kernels.

Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -Naur -X /home/marcelo/lib/dontdiff linux-2.4.16/CREDITS linux/CREDITS
|--- linux-2.4.16/CREDITS Sun Nov 11 18:09:32 2001
|+++ linux/CREDITS Fri Dec 21 16:40:31 2001
--------------------------
File to patch:

Steven

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> [...]
>- Add buggy 440GX to broken pirq blacklist (Arjan Van de Ven)
>- Add new entry to Sound blaster ISAPNP list (Arjan Van de Ven)
>- Remove crap character from Configure.help (Niels Kristian Bech Jensen)
>- Backout erroneous change to lookup_exec_domain (Christoph Hellwig)
>- Update osst sound driver to 1.65 (Willem Riede)
>- Fix i810 sound driver problems (Andris Pavenis)
>- Add AF_LLC define in network headers (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo)
>- block_size cleanup on some SCSI drivers (Erik Andersen)
>- Added missing MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") in some (Andreas Krennmair)
> modules
>- Add ->show_options() to super_ops and
> implement NFS method (Alexander Viro)
>- Updated i8k driver (Massimo Dal Zoto)
>- devfs update (Richard Gooch)
>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Tobias Ringstrom

Subject: [PATCH] Linux 2.4.17 - compile error in drivers/video/aty/aty_base.c

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> Well,
>
> Here it is...

Argh... I knew I should have tried the -rc kernels. Compiling
CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX as a module gives me the following error:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.17/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB
-c atyfb_base.c
atyfb_base.c:388: `ram_resv' undeclared here (not in a function)
atyfb_base.c:388: initializer element is not constant
atyfb_base.c:388: (near initialization for `aty_gx_ram[7]')
atyfb_base.c:250: warning: `curblink' defined but not used

The following patch fixes the error:

diff -ru linux-2.4.17.orig/drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c linux-2.4.17/drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c
--- linux-2.4.17.orig/drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c Fri Dec 21 19:18:45 2001
+++ linux-2.4.17/drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c Fri Dec 21 20:35:42 2001
@@ -366,6 +366,7 @@

#if defined(CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX) || defined(CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT)
static char ram_dram[] __initdata = "DRAM";
+static char ram_resv[] __initdata = "RESV";
#endif /* CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX || CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT */

#ifdef CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX
@@ -378,7 +379,6 @@
static char ram_sgram[] __initdata = "SGRAM";
static char ram_wram[] __initdata = "WRAM";
static char ram_off[] __initdata = "OFF";
-static char ram_resv[] __initdata = "RESV";
#endif /* CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT */

#ifdef CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX

Better luck next time, Dave! ;-)

/Tobias

2001-12-21 20:17:43

by Dan Kegel

Marcelo wrote:

> Well,
>
> Here it is...
>

> final:
>
> - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
> - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
> Irongate chipset configuration compile
> correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
>
> rc2:
>
> - Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
> - sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read

Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
release candidate and final'?

I'm disappointed; I thought we were entering a new era of
release discipline in the stable kernel.

- Dan

2001-12-21 20:59:48

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:

> Marcelo wrote:
>
> > Well,
> >
> > Here it is...
> >

> > final:
> >
> > - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
> > - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
> > Irongate chipset configuration compile
> > correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
> >
> > rc2:
> >
> > - Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
> > - sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read
>
> Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
> release candidate and final'?

I haven't said that, did I?

I said I would make -rc kernels which would not add any new _feature_.

2001-12-21 21:10:38

by David Gomez

> > final:
> >
> > - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
> > - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
> > Irongate chipset configuration compile
> > correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
> >
> > rc2:
> >
> > - Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
> > - sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read
>
> Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
> release candidate and final'?

I think the policy is 'not to add unnecessary changes' , not 'no changes'.

> I'm disappointed; I thought we were entering a new era of
> release discipline in the stable kernel.

I'd be dissapointed if Marcelo had released and stable kernel still
with the loopback deadlocks. And i don't think the alpha compile fix is
going to break anything.

David G?mez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

2001-12-21 22:00:43

by Dan Kegel

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Marcelo wrote:
> > Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
> > release candidate and final'?
>
> I haven't said that, did I?
>
> I said I would make -rc kernels which would not add any new _feature_.

Sorry; I must have misunderstood. But I think lwn.net
misunderstood, too; http://lwn.net/2001/1213/kernel.php3
says "Marcelo's stated plan is to have the final release be the same
as the last release candidate; the hope is to be done with surprises
caused by last-minute patches."

I guess I and lwn.net were projecting our desires onto Marcello's statements?

- Dan

2001-12-21 22:11:53

by Rik van Riel

^

> I guess I and lwn.net were projecting our desires onto Marcello's statements?
^^
I wouldn't be surprised. If you don't even read his
name, I bet you wouldn't have seen the subtleties
in his announcement either ;)

*runs like hell*

cheers,

Rik
--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C? Who cares? http://thefreeworld.net/

by Oliver Xymoron

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > > Here it is...
> > >

> > > final:
> > >
> > > - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
> > > - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
> > > Irongate chipset configuration compile
> > > correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
> >
> > Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
> > release candidate and final'?
>
> I haven't said that, did I?

No, but it's a good idea. There's always the risk of breaking something
and you don't want to introduce a disk-eating bug between -rc and -final.
It's better to ship one more -rc and wait a day before -final. If you
don't, people will just get in the habit of waiting a day after -final to
be safe.

> I said I would make -rc kernels which would not add any new _feature_.

That's less important.

by David Relson

At 06:10 PM 12/21/01, Oliver Oxymoron wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
>... There's always the risk of breaking something
>and you don't want to introduce a disk-eating bug between -rc and -final.
>It's better to ship one more -rc and wait a day before -final. If you
>don't, people will just get in the habit of waiting a day after -final to
>be safe.
>
> > I said I would make -rc kernels which would not add any new _feature_.
>
>That's less important.

I agree with releasing an extra -rc and waiting the extra day for -final.

My thought is that the _only_ difference between the last -rc and -final is
correctly setting "EXTRAVERSION=" in Makefile.

David

2001-12-22 00:52:38

by Mike Castle

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 07:34:29PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> My thought is that the _only_ difference between the last -rc and -final is
> correctly setting "EXTRAVERSION=" in Makefile.

Perhaps Documentation/* changes.

mrc
--
Mike Castle [email protected] http://www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen

by John Alvord

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:09:09 +0100 (CET), "David Gomez"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> > final:
>> >
>> > - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
>> > - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
>> > Irongate chipset configuration compile
>> > correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
>> >
>> > rc2:
>> >
>> > - Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
>> > - sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read
>>
>> Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
>> release candidate and final'?
>
>I think the policy is 'not to add unnecessary changes' , not 'no changes'.
>
>> I'm disappointed; I thought we were entering a new era of
>> release discipline in the stable kernel.
>
>I'd be dissapointed if Marcelo had released and stable kernel still
>with the loopback deadlocks. And i don't think the alpha compile fix is
>going to break anything.

One possibility would be to release 2.4.17 and 2.4.18-pre1
simultaneously, with the otherwise last minute changes. There have
been so many brown-bag bugs introduced by the last changes, there
everyone is or should be nervous. Immediately launching the next -pre
series will help keep the momentum moving while preserving the more
certain knowledge of the quality of the last -rc level.

john alvord

2001-12-22 05:17:40

by Craig I. Hagan

> I agree with releasing an extra -rc and waiting the extra day for -final.
>
> My thought is that the _only_ difference between the last -rc and -final is
> correctly setting "EXTRAVERSION=" in Makefile.

I've lots of thoughts as well as things i would have liked to have seen in
2.4.17. However, This is Marcelo's show. It is his call to make, and I support
what he did. It has got to be a tough job to know that *you* are the one who
says "This is good (enough)."

-- craig

Craig I. Hagan "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to back it up"
hagan(at)cih.com "True hackers don't die, their ttl expires"
"It takes a village to raise an idiot, but an idiot can raze a village"

Stop the spread of spam, use a sendmail condom!
http://www.cih.com/~hagan/smtpd-hacks

In Bandwidth we trust

2001-12-22 05:45:48

by Bernd Eckenfels

Subject: Re: re: Linux 2.4.17

In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0112212203460.1184-100000@fargo> you wrote:
> I'd be dissapointed if Marcelo had released and stable kernel still
> with the loopback deadlocks. And i don't think the alpha compile fix is
> going to break anything.

Well, of course having another RC wont be too much of a problem.

greetings
Bernd

2001-12-22 08:12:54

by Daniel Phillips

On December 21, 2001 08:44 pm, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
> > Marcelo wrote:
> >
> > > Well,
> > >
> > > Here it is...
> > >

> > > final:
> > >
> > > - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
> > > - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
> > > Irongate chipset configuration compile
> > > correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
> > >
> > > rc2:
> > >
> > > - Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
> > > - sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read
> >
> > Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
> > release candidate and final'?
>
> I haven't said that, did I?
>
> I said I would make -rc kernels which would not add any new _feature_.

I'll weigh in on this one, basically a "me too". The only changelog entry I
find unsettling is "Fix more loopback deadlocks" and all I have to say about
it is: remember what happened when Al fixed the iput bug. I'm not suggesting
that there was no basic idiot testing - I'm practically certain you did some
yourself, but it would have been oh-so-nice to have an rc3 that lived for at
least a short time on the kernel list before going to final.

By the way, great job managing this first major point release (2.4.16 doesn't
really count ;-).

--
Daniel

2001-12-22 11:57:04

by Mike Black

My thanks to for Marcelo's efforts...but....

Is there any way we can get Marcelo, Rik, and Andrea to work together on the
"stable" version now (a Linux tribunal)?

If Rik and Andrea just send their patches to Marcelo can we get agreement on
one release version?
It would seem that it's time to converge for the sake of bringing some
stability & simplicity to 2.4.x

There's been way too much discussion/questions on the list from people
wondering which one to use.
I understand Linus' reluctance to incorporate but it just seems like it's
time to converge these branches.

2001-12-22 18:00:08

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 06:56:44 -0500
"Mike Black" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My thanks to for Marcelo's efforts...but....
>
> Is there any way we can get Marcelo, Rik, and Andrea to work together on the
> "stable" version now (a Linux tribunal)?

Would you mind to give us a short hint on the implicit "instability" you are
exactly talking about? I think 2.4.17 is in various ways well worked out and
maintained. There are further improvements possible for sure, but that is a
normal thing. Anyway I cannot really see any major instability issues that
require instant brainstorming. I am confident in Marcelo's maintenance.

Regards,
Stephan

2001-12-22 18:12:33

by David A. Frantz

Hello Everyone;

At this point I'm not a kernel developer, most likely never will be, but I do
use linux exclusively. So from that perspective here are my comments for
consideration.

At some point in the development of a new kernel there must be an emphasis on
quality and reliability. I personally do not see how it is even possible to
release a "final" kernel revision with only one or two days testing.
Granted everyone expects a new kernel series to have a few issues upon
release, but once the ** in a 2.4.** kernel move past 10 it really is time to
think quality.

Realizing that excessive time spent on quality issues would lead to many
delays, I'd like to suggest that the third dot number use an odd even
numbering system to seperate the heavly tested kernels from the heavily
modified kernels. In other words all pre-kernels leading up to a 2.4.18
kernel would be aimed at stabilizing the code and quality. When this is
done the pre-kernels for the 2.4.19 series would aim to oimplement the more
major changes that everyone wants or needs.

I'd to be able to pick up a kernel from http://www.kernel.org and have some
confidence that it will work correctly without extensive patching. The idea
that vendors can supply us with a heavily tested kernel is, to me anyways,
against the spirit of the whole community. After all there are many fly by
night Linux distributions, a stable kernel available from http://www.kernel.org would
go a long way to maintaining these sort of systems.

Now this may seem a bit demanding but consider this. If the users of this
list did not have prior knowledge of the kernels available on http://www.kernel.org
how would they know which ones to avoid totally, which ones are OK, and which
ones seem to be well done? Its really a shame that we need to talk about a
stable kernel this way, on the other hand due to reading this list I
understand how the various revisions came about. The problem, as I see it,
is that there were to many kernels released before everything stabilized.
If your implementing or testing new technology them by all means release a
pre-kernel, a patch against a stable kernel, or a technology specific
pre-kernel (such as the -aa releases) but lets not go on with throwing out
grossly buggy release kernels. Even if it takes months, release a kernel
that for most people will work.

I hope these comments are helpful. Like I say Linux is the only thing that
I use at home, I really want it to succeed. So for the 2.4.** kernel lets
concentrate on quality, it would be nice to know that from now on each new
kernel release is beter than the one before it.

Thanks
dave

John Alvord wrote:

> >> Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
> >> release candidate and final'?
> >
> >I think the policy is 'not to add unnecessary changes' , not 'no changes'.
> >
> >> I'm disappointed; I thought we were entering a new era of
> >> release discipline in the stable kernel.
> >
> >I'd be dissapointed if Marcelo had released and stable kernel still
> >with the loopback deadlocks. And i don't think the alpha compile fix is
> >going to break anything.
>
> One possibility would be to release 2.4.17 and 2.4.18-pre1
> simultaneously, with the otherwise last minute changes. There have
> been so many brown-bag bugs introduced by the last changes, there
> everyone is or should be nervous. Immediately launching the next -pre
> series will help keep the momentum moving while preserving the more
> certain knowledge of the quality of the last -rc level.
>
> john alvord
> -

by Alan

> Now this may seem a bit demanding but consider this. If the users of this
> list did not have prior knowledge of the kernels available on http://www.kernel.org
> how would they know which ones to avoid totally, which ones are OK, and which
> ones seem to be well done? Its really a shame that we need to talk about a

They would go to a vendor who is prepared to say "We tested this, we put
our logo on the package saying we have faith in it"

Alan

2001-12-22 23:39:22

by J.A. Magallon

On 20011222 Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 06:56:44 -0500
>"Mike Black" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My thanks to for Marcelo's efforts...but....
>>
>> Is there any way we can get Marcelo, Rik, and Andrea to work together on the
>> "stable" version now (a Linux tribunal)?
>
>Would you mind to give us a short hint on the implicit "instability" you are
>exactly talking about? I think 2.4.17 is in various ways well worked out and
>maintained. There are further improvements possible for sure, but that is a
>normal thing. Anyway I cannot really see any major instability issues that
>require instant brainstorming. I am confident in Marcelo's maintenance.

They are not different branches. Perhaps what is confusing him (and sometimes
also confuses me), is that there are patches in aa kernel (I am not a
compulsive patcher...) that look like basic bug fixes or simple but effective
enhancements that never reach mainline, they are only in aa for ages (looking
at andrea's dir in ftp.kernel.org: all the _vm patches, the spinlock-cacheline,
compiler.h, rwsem, parent-timeslice, etc.). Nothing wrt numa, tux, uml or lvm.

How about a 18-pre1 taking from aa all that is usefull and not really intrusive ?

--
J.A. Magallon # Let the source be with you...
mailto:[email protected]