2006-09-06 05:37:11

by Rick Ellis

Subject: Re: bogofilter ate 3/5

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:00:44 +0200 Willy Tarreau wrote:

> spam has never been a real problem for me on LKML

I spend a lot of time deleting spam from the mailing lists I
archive. The kernel list gets a lot of spam--it's just not
as obvious as it is on some lists because of the large amount
of legit traffic. Some of the slower lists get nothing but
spam for weeks at a time.

While bogofilter may not be the answer, doing something may
be quite desirable.

--
http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/

2006-09-06 18:00:27

by Willy Tarreau

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:37:03PM -0700, Rick Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:00:44 +0200 Willy Tarreau wrote:
>
> > spam has never been a real problem for me on LKML
>
> I spend a lot of time deleting spam from the mailing lists I
> archive. The kernel list gets a lot of spam--it's just not
> as obvious as it is on some lists because of the large amount
> of legit traffic. Some of the slower lists get nothing but
> spam for weeks at a time.

agreed, but I still think that losing some legitimate emails
is worse than getting 5% spam.

> While bogofilter may not be the answer, doing something may
> be quite desirable.

OK, but doing something could simply consist in adding a header
that anyone is free to filter on or not.

Regards,
Willy

2006-09-06 18:04:49

by Willy Tarreau

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:00:20PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:37:03PM -0700, Rick Ellis wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:00:44 +0200 Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >
> > > spam has never been a real problem for me on LKML
> >
> > I spend a lot of time deleting spam from the mailing lists I
> > archive. The kernel list gets a lot of spam--it's just not
> > as obvious as it is on some lists because of the large amount
> > of legit traffic. Some of the slower lists get nothing but
> > spam for weeks at a time.
>
> agreed, but I still think that losing some legitimate emails
> is worse than getting 5% spam.
>
> > While bogofilter may not be the answer, doing something may
> > be quite desirable.
>
> OK, but doing something could simply consist in adding a header
> that anyone is free to filter on or not.

BTW, I forgot to say that I fear that maintaining the bogofilter
in the long term will be supplementary work for Matti, with few
chances of 100% success with happy readers.

Regards,
Willy

2006-09-06 19:19:40

by Chase Venters

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, [email protected] wrote:

>> OK, but doing something could simply consist in adding a header
>> that anyone is free to filter on or not.
>
> The problem with that is the post gets no indication that his
> mail has been filtered. The way it works now is the rejection
> happens at SMTP time and that causes the poster to see the
> problem. If people filtered on a header, you'd never know why you
> weren't getting a response.

How about this:

1. Incoming mail from subscribers is accepted
2. Incoming mail to honeypot addresses is trained as SPAM
3. Incoming mail from non-subscribers is marked with X-Bogofilter:
4. A handy Perl script subscribes to lkml, and for any message it gets
with an X-Bogofilter: SPAM header, it sends a notification (rate-limited)
to the message sender explaining that his message will be filtered as SPAM
by some recipients, and inviting him to contact postmaster to resolve the
issue, and additionally letting him know that notification is rate-limited
and there is a website he can check to see the SUBJECTs of all messages
filtered as SPAM on lkml (say for the last week or two) if he wants to try
and correct the problem himself.

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-06 18:56:44

by Rick Ellis

> OK, but doing something could simply consist in adding a header
> that anyone is free to filter on or not.

The problem with that is the post gets no indication that his
mail has been filtered. The way it works now is the rejection
happens at SMTP time and that causes the poster to see the
problem. If people filtered on a header, you'd never know why you
weren't getting a response.

--
http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/

2006-09-06 20:13:39

by Willy Tarreau

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 11:56:28AM -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > OK, but doing something could simply consist in adding a header
> > that anyone is free to filter on or not.
>
> The problem with that is the post gets no indication that his
> mail has been filtered. The way it works now is the rejection
> happens at SMTP time and that causes the poster to see the
> problem. If people filtered on a header, you'd never know why you
> weren't getting a response.

Valid point.

Regards,
Willy

2006-09-06 20:57:00

by Krzysztof Halasa

Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:

> 1. Incoming mail from subscribers is accepted

How do you know if the sender is really a subscriber?

> 4. A handy Perl script subscribes to lkml, and for any message it gets
> with an X-Bogofilter: SPAM header, it sends a notification
> (rate-limited) to the message sender

How do you know who the sender really is? IMHO bouncing anything
(especially spam) after SMTP OK is worse than the spam itself.
--
Krzysztof Halasa

2006-09-06 22:09:34

by Chase Venters

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

> Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> 1. Incoming mail from subscribers is accepted
>
> How do you know if the sender is really a subscriber?

You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
forgery with this method. Subscribers subscribing one address and sending
from another is also not a problem since a lookup failure just means you
get to ride through the bogofilter. Note as well that #4 is a separate
program; this lookup is likely done by the mailing list software.

#1 should significantly reduce the load on the bogofilter (not sure if
that matters though).

>> 4. A handy Perl script subscribes to lkml, and for any message it gets
>> with an X-Bogofilter: SPAM header, it sends a notification
>> (rate-limited) to the message sender
>
> How do you know who the sender really is? IMHO bouncing anything
> (especially spam) after SMTP OK is worse than the spam itself.

The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder. Autoresponders would
respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter in front of
them, but I assume that many don't).

Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work anyway) have
perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a reply cookie from original
envelope senders. We do it because it almost entirely prevents spam from
arriving in our inboxes (I say almost because there is the occasional
spammer that doesn't forge their sender address and has some kind of
autoresponder behind it). I had to do this for my work account to stop the
hundreds of messages I was getting each day after a co-worker "pranked me"
by signing me up for all that crap.

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-07 09:52:47

by Matti Aarnio

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 02:15:46PM -0500, Chase Venters wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >>OK, but doing something could simply consist in adding a header
> >>that anyone is free to filter on or not.
> >
> >The problem with that is the post gets no indication that his
> >mail has been filtered. The way it works now is the rejection
> >happens at SMTP time and that causes the poster to see the
> >problem. If people filtered on a header, you'd never know why you
> >weren't getting a response.
>
> How about this:
>
> 1. Incoming mail from subscribers is accepted
> 2. Incoming mail to honeypot addresses is trained as SPAM
> 3. Incoming mail from non-subscribers is marked with X-Bogofilter:
> 4. A handy Perl script subscribes to lkml, and for any message it gets
> with an X-Bogofilter: SPAM header, it sends a notification (rate-limited)
> to the message sender explaining that his message will be filtered as SPAM
> by some recipients, and inviting him to contact postmaster to resolve the
> issue, and additionally letting him know that notification is rate-limited
> and there is a website he can check to see the SUBJECTs of all messages
> filtered as SPAM on lkml (say for the last week or two) if he wants to try
> and correct the problem himself.

Actually...

At front-door the bogofilter analyzes message for spam-signature
and does classification. It reports the class to SMTP receiver's
content policy controller, that usually chooses to believe it.

A number of recipient addresses are considered "filter free" and
they do always get messages no matter what BF or other content filters
consider the email.

The SMTP receiver also recognizes diffs in texts (but only when
unquoted) and exempts them of BF rulings (which sometimes do bite
on diffs.)

Honeypots train BF for SPAM.

Majordomo has tons of 'TABOO' filters and any match at them
trains BF also for SPAM.

Any message that was successfully accepted to any list is
trained as HAM.

I am considering teaching the system to recognize VGER's lists
specially, and to verify that sender is in the list, or at possible
extra 'posters' list. (Did I create one, or did I plan only ?)
Anyway, if MAIL FROM address is at either, then message is again
exempted of Bogofilter.

Presently majordomo and front-end SMTP are not in any direct contact,
and that kind of policy decissions are not made at SMTP input time.
They are done silently a bit latter.

I can move most of the Majordomo policy rules to front-end policy
controller -- it is perl, after all :-)

> Thanks,
> Chase

/Matti Aarnio -- one of <[email protected]>

2006-09-07 11:55:36

by Krzysztof Halasa

Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:

> You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
> database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
> forgery with this method.

That's the first problem.

> The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder. Autoresponders
> would respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter in
> front of them, but I assume that many don't).

Yep. Sending their "responses" to innocent people, instead of spam
senders. That's what many "antivirus" do.

> Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work anyway)
> have perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a
> reply cookie from original envelope senders. We do it because it
> almost entirely prevents spam from arriving in our inboxes

Sure. Don't you think is also prevents a lot of legitimate mail?
Hope that all addresses you send mail to are automatically added
to a white list? (I'm especially annoyed with people asking me for
something, and then my answer bounces with "click somewhere"
response).
--
Krzysztof Halasa

2006-09-07 13:54:41

by Chase Venters

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

> Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
>> database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
>> forgery with this method.
>
> That's the first problem.

The problem with trying to stop forgery is that there is not yet a
foolproof or reasonably foolproof method of doing so. All available
options require cooperation from other MTAs, MUAs, users or
administrators; hence, they're only good at increasing 'HAM' score.

It is also at least partially unapplicable to LKML since this list
deliberately allows anyone to post.

>> The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder. Autoresponders
>> would respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter in
>> front of them, but I assume that many don't).
>
> Yep. Sending their "responses" to innocent people, instead of spam
> senders. That's what many "antivirus" do.
>
>> Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work anyway)
>> have perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a
>> reply cookie from original envelope senders. We do it because it
>> almost entirely prevents spam from arriving in our inboxes
>
> Sure. Don't you think is also prevents a lot of legitimate mail?
> Hope that all addresses you send mail to are automatically added
> to a white list? (I'm especially annoyed with people asking me for
> something, and then my answer bounces with "click somewhere"
> response).

Yeah, I whitelist on that address as well. And if someone does respond to
the challenge (all it takes is reply/send, as I've used a signed VERP as
the Reply-To), they get whitelisted. If the challenge bounces, it bounces
to the envelope sender (a different signed VERP) which increases their
blacklist score by 1. Get a blacklist score of 3 and I'll silently ignore
your mail for 6 months.

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-07 13:58:40

by Stuart MacDonald

From: On Behalf Of Chase Venters
> You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
> database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
> forgery with this method. Subscribers subscribing one address

Forgery is always a concern...

> The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder.
> Autoresponders would
> respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter
> in front of
> them, but I assume that many don't).

..because autoresponders are always replying to forged addresses:
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html

> Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work
> anyway) have
> perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a
> reply cookie from original
> envelope senders. We do it because it almost entirely
> prevents spam from
> arriving in our inboxes (I say almost because there is the occasional

Autoresponder by another name, see above URL.

..Stu

2006-09-07 14:09:10

by Chase Venters

Subject: [OT] RE: bogofilter ate 3/5

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Stuart MacDonald wrote:

> From: On Behalf Of Chase Venters
>> You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
>> database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
>> forgery with this method. Subscribers subscribing one address
>
> Forgery is always a concern...
>
>> The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder.
>> Autoresponders would
>> respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter
>> in front of
>> them, but I assume that many don't).
>
> ..because autoresponders are always replying to forged addresses:
> http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html
>
>> Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work
>> anyway) have
>> perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a
>> reply cookie from original
>> envelope senders. We do it because it almost entirely
>> prevents spam from
>> arriving in our inboxes (I say almost because there is the occasional
>
> Autoresponder by another name, see above URL.

Fortunately, the bulk of bulk mail I receive these days is forged but not
forged from legitimate users. To give you an example from my daily log
(which is e-mailed to me so I can keep an eye on the insanity):

2006-09-06T06:25:11 -- Challenged 'Beliefnet Daily Inspiration
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T06:40:23 -- Challenged '"[email protected]"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T09:56:13 -- Challenged '"LexingtonLawBringsYou"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T12:25:34 -- Challenged '"OFFER CONFIRMATION."
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T12:30:39 -- Challenged '"Rate Alert!"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T12:57:54 -- Challenged '"Rate Alert!"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T12:57:56 -- Challenged '"OFFER CONFIRMATION."
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T13:08:02 -- Challenged '"PlatinumRewardsClubEmailOffers"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T13:34:18 -- Challenged '"CellPhoneGiveawaysNetDeals"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T13:39:23 -- Challenged '"Barber" <[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T13:59:36 -- Challenged '"Barber" <[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T14:08:44 -- Challenged '"LifeScript Healthy Advantage"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T14:27:00 -- Challenged 'FS Report <[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T14:46:12 -- Challenged '"OFFER_C0NFIRMATI0N!"
<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T15:07:26 -- Challenged '"Maureen&Team" <[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T15:07:27 -- Delivered message from 'Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen
<[email protected]>' (whitelist)
2006-09-06T15:09:30 -- Challenged '"BHG.com
Kitchen"<[email protected]>'
2006-09-06T15:11:40 -- Challenged '"1 2 3 I n k Jets"
<[email protected]>'

If these challenges bounce (_many_ of them do), the box and host end up on
the blacklist.

> ..Stu

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-07 14:35:06

by Chase Venters

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Stuart MacDonald wrote:

> From: On Behalf Of Chase Venters
>> You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
>> database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
>> forgery with this method. Subscribers subscribing one address
>
> Forgery is always a concern...
>
>> The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder.
>> Autoresponders would
>> respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter
>> in front of
>> them, but I assume that many don't).
>
> ..because autoresponders are always replying to forged addresses:
> http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html
>
>> Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work
>> anyway) have
>> perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a
>> reply cookie from original
>> envelope senders. We do it because it almost entirely
>> prevents spam from
>> arriving in our inboxes (I say almost because there is the occasional
>
> Autoresponder by another name, see above URL.

I should also point out that common and regular mailing list software
already often behaves as an autoresponder, and it is completely
reasonable! Suppose that you send a message to a mailing list that is
subscriber-only. What usually happens? You get mail back saying that your
message has been queued for moderator review!

Naturally, such a system suffers from the same problems described by
the Spamcop page you linked. But it is unreasonable to ask list managers
not to respond to unknown traffic, because sending a message to a list and
having it silently disappear is unacceptable.

Now, I'm sure there are some people that don't run mailing lists that
would love to call this behavior 'bad'. But there are also people who
would like to rewrite the rules for Internet mail (see: SPF and the
problem with mail forwarders, and their so-called 'solution'). Since
Internet mail was designed in a vacuum where these modern problems don't
exist, we're all forced to work around them in unusual ways. I find it
highly ironic that spam blocker services tell you not to use certain
techniques (autoresponders, bounce messages) that are not only
commonplace, but precedented and even mandated by RFC on the grounds that
they may cause you to be blocked. Then they move on to criticize anti-spam
techniques that fall in these domains with one of their subpoints saying
'they can cause you to miss legitimate mail!'

Guess what: so does indiscriminately blocking people whose sites don't bow
down to your unreasonable demands, especially when their behavior (say,
sending bounce messages) is described in the official protocol
documentation.

Taking away auto-responders is like taking away hair gel from airline
passengers: a gross overreaction that diminishes the quality of service
for everyone.

> ..Stu

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-07 17:36:17

by Stuart MacDonald

From: Chase Venters [mailto:[email protected]]
> highly ironic that spam blocker services tell you not to use certain
> techniques (autoresponders, bounce messages) that are not only
> commonplace, but precedented and even mandated by RFC on the
> grounds that
> they may cause you to be blocked. Then they move on to
> criticize anti-spam
> techniques that fall in these domains with one of their
> subpoints saying
> 'they can cause you to miss legitimate mail!'
>
> Guess what: so does indiscriminately blocking people whose
> sites don't bow
> down to your unreasonable demands, especially when their
> behavior (say,
> sending bounce messages) is described in the official protocol
> documentation.

I will assume you are referring to SpamCop. Their service does not
behave the way you think it does:
http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=whatis
Read the paragraph: "SpamCop works exactly like the credit reporting
agencies..."

..Stu

2006-09-07 18:34:21

by Chase Venters

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Stuart MacDonald wrote:

> From: Chase Venters [mailto:[email protected]]
>> highly ironic that spam blocker services tell you not to use certain
>> techniques (autoresponders, bounce messages) that are not only
>> commonplace, but precedented and even mandated by RFC on the
>> grounds that
>> they may cause you to be blocked. Then they move on to
>> criticize anti-spam
>> techniques that fall in these domains with one of their
>> subpoints saying
>> 'they can cause you to miss legitimate mail!'
>>
>> Guess what: so does indiscriminately blocking people whose
>> sites don't bow
>> down to your unreasonable demands, especially when their
>> behavior (say,
>> sending bounce messages) is described in the official protocol
>> documentation.
>
> I will assume you are referring to SpamCop. Their service does not
> behave the way you think it does:
> http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=whatis
> Read the paragraph: "SpamCop works exactly like the credit reporting
> agencies..."

What are you implying - that SpamCop doesn't make decisions about who to
block and who to not block for third parties? Their weasel wording
comparing themselves to credit reporting is pretty weak and doesn't stand
a chance of obscuring their purpose, methods or results from anyone with half
a clue. But let's pretend that it did for just long enough that I can
point out that because of the coercive nature of credit agency decisions,
they are expected to behave reasonably as well. Saying, "but the creditors
are making the decisions and we're just providing data!" is no excuse for
credit reporting agencies to, say, give low credit scores to people who
live in a certain part of town, or practice a certain religion, or happen
to have skin of a certain color.

I will strongly criticize any service that purports to label senders of
automatic responses as senders of unsolicited mail. The response sent by
an autoresponder (be it a deferral, bounce, vacation or mailing list
manager message) is most definitely solicited. The fact that Internet mail
is broken enough to allow terribly easy envelope forgery does not change
this fact. Trying to defer responsibility for a misdirected automatic
response to the program or party using the program that sent it is like
trying to blame gun manufacturers for specific instances of murder; it's
absurd and it misses the point.

Whether or not SpamCop servers actually drop any messages is irrelevant
when they are providing purportedly reputable data to third parties who
use it to decide whether or not to drop messages themselves. The sad fact
is that most postmasters just aren't educated enough about these issues to
see through the glossy marketing materials RBLs and other services use to
promote their wares.

And on the specific issue of autoresponders, I think a reasonable
compromise is to support DomainKeys. That way if a sender is irritated
that they are receiving automatic responses from messages they didn't
send, they can personally take action to invalidate the forgery.

But mark my words: Asking hosts to stop sending bounce messages or
automatic responses is insane and contrary to over a decade of established
postmaster precedent.

> ..Stu

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-07 21:06:24

by Stuart MacDonald

From: Chase Venters [mailto:[email protected]]
> What are you implying - that SpamCop doesn't make decisions
> about who to
> block and who to not block for third parties? Their weasel wording

It's not an implication, it's a fact.

> I will strongly criticize any service that purports to label
> senders of
> automatic responses as senders of unsolicited mail. The

What would you call it then when I receive a bounce/etc that is in
reponse to a message someone else sent? I certainly never solicited
that.

Perhaps you could send me your snail mail address; I'll solicit some
junk mail but put your address down. But don't call it junk mail when
you receive it, because it was solicited!

> And on the specific issue of autoresponders, I think a reasonable
> compromise is to support DomainKeys. That way if a sender is
> irritated
> that they are receiving automatic responses from messages they didn't
> send, they can personally take action to invalidate the forgery.

IMO one should never have to receive "automatic responses from
messages they didn't send".

> But mark my words: Asking hosts to stop sending bounce messages or
> automatic responses is insane and contrary to over a decade
> of established
> postmaster precedent.

Things change.

..Stu

2006-09-07 22:21:38

by Stuart MacDonald

Subject: RE: [OT] RE: bogofilter ate 3/5

From: Chase Venters [mailto:[email protected]]
> So what is the SpamCop RBL data used for then?

SpamCop uses it on their own mail service to flag messages as
potential spam and filter those out to a junk folder.

They also publish the list publicly.

So, SpamCop is blocking 0 emails.

As for third parties looking at their RBL, SpamCop specifically
recommends that the list *not* be used for blocking:
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/291.html

> (1) The mail _would_ be solicited because you asked for it on
> my behalf;

So you'll be sending me your snail mail address then? Thanks.

> permission. Phony permission, perhaps, but permission nonetheless...

False permission is no permission at all. That's a widely recognised
concept; in law, life and the internet.

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Stuart MacDonald wrote:
> > Things change.
>
> Yes, and eventually Internet mail will grow up and forgery

SMTP is growing up *right now*. The reconfig of servers to not send
unsolicted bounces/etc is part of the growing-up-ness.

The following fall into two categories:

> 1. No more bounce messages
> 4. No more deferral messages

Servers can be configed to not send these. To those whose systems are
set up in such a manner to require accepting the message before
delivery, to paraphrase Chase, "(2) Spammers would be responsible for
your misery, not the parties rejecting your bounces".

> 2. No more "Your message has been queued for moderator
> approval" messages
> 3. No more "Thanks for contacting CrapCo, your support ticket
> # is 238417"
> messages
> 5. No more vacation mail
> 6. No more challenge/response systems
> 7. No more mailing lists that you can sign up to by sending mail to
> [email protected] or [email protected]; all subscription and
> unsubscription must be done through web interfaces

All of these should be sent by a human.

> can turn all auto-response systems off completely.

Yep. That's the growing up you were looking for earlier.

It looks like we disagree on the method of change required. That's
life.

..Stu

2006-09-07 22:33:26

by Chase Venters

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Stuart MacDonald wrote:

>> can turn all auto-response systems off completely.
>
> Yep. That's the growing up you were looking for earlier.
>
> It looks like we disagree on the method of change required. That's
> life.

Indeed. Let me make one final point then. If you think this issue is
important, you might start by asking the administrators of linux-kernel
and associated lists to toss majordomo away, because sending e-mail to
[email protected] (which is a published address, which will
respond via e-mail to every message it receives) is the only way to
subscribe to linux-kernel. (ie: There is no web form)

You'll want to find all majordomo users and tell them to stop using the
program. Also users of ezmlm will be affected as well. And that's just the
start.

In reality, there are probably hundreds of mailing list packages that
rightfully assume that there is nothing wrong with responding to inquiries
they receive via e-mail. And a significant number of these probably offer
no native web GUI, making them useless and evil in your new world.

I'd be willing to venture a guess that the majority of Internet mailing
lists have some form of an autoresponder associated with them. The SpamCop
folks don't seem to address this issue, nor does anyone else I've heard
this "no auto-responders" argument from, and nor have you.

You don't have to defend SpamCop's short-sighted attitude. It would
probably be better to drop such a silly idea as the termination of all
auto-responders, because it will never, ever happen. There are too many
legitimate uses of this technology to eliminate it. But as you say,
we disagree, that is life...

> ..Stu

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-07 22:34:07

by Krzysztof Halasa

Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:

> The problem with trying to stop forgery is that there is not yet a
> foolproof or reasonably foolproof method of doing so.

The first important point here is that vger rejects mail in SMTP
DATA phase, thus making the forgery irrelevant WRT such bounces.
Second, being on the list isn't enough for the message to go
through, it has to pass the filters as everyone else.

Third, while I think "normal" autoresponders (vacation etc.)
are perfectly reasonable (not in mailing list context of course),
ones which by design respond mostly to forged addresses (do you
think antivirus and antispam qualify?) are aimed at the wrong,
innocent person.
--
Krzysztof Halasa

2006-09-07 22:46:49

by Chase Venters

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

> Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> The problem with trying to stop forgery is that there is not yet a
>> foolproof or reasonably foolproof method of doing so.
>
> The first important point here is that vger rejects mail in SMTP
> DATA phase, thus making the forgery irrelevant WRT such bounces.
> Second, being on the list isn't enough for the message to go
> through, it has to pass the filters as everyone else.

Fair enough. The discussion drifted with the introduction of the SpamCop
idea that bounce messages are evil. As you have shown, it is possible in
many instances to refuse mail at the door; however, it's pretty unfeasible
in many environments...

> Third, while I think "normal" autoresponders (vacation etc.)
> are perfectly reasonable (not in mailing list context of course),
> ones which by design respond mostly to forged addresses (do you
> think antivirus and antispam qualify?) are aimed at the wrong,
> innocent person.

Well, this is an interesting point applicable to my specific suggestion.
You are right that such a script would generate a lot of misdirected mail.
In my experience in dealing with this issue, it's usually e-mail viruses
that spoof legitimate addresses: most of the spam I see comes from junk
addresses at junk domains. So it's not like you're bugging a *human*.

In any case, this specific idea was just a brainstorm for how we could
use X-Bogofilter: headers to allow LKML subscribers to make their own
filtering decision about the messages. Another idea is to divert junk mail
to a second list which is for people that want to be real sure they don't
miss patches.

A third choice is obviously to leave the problem alone and let bogofilter
eat our patches ;)

Whichever route is taken, though, it looks like we might have to switch
away from Majordomo soon, because SpamCop and Stuart MacDonald are going
to bring an end to programs that automatically respond to mail.

Thanks,
Chase

2006-09-07 22:58:09

by Krzysztof Halasa

Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:

> A third choice is obviously to leave the problem alone and let
> bogofilter eat our patches ;)

Actually I think Matti will just fix the filter and all such
problems will go away.
--
Krzysztof Halasa

2006-09-07 23:02:47

by Matti Aarnio

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 12:58:02AM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> To: Chase Venters <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected], [email protected] (Willy Tarreau),
> [email protected]
> Subject: Re: bogofilter ate 3/5
> From: Krzysztof Halasa <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 00:58:02 +0200
>
> Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > A third choice is obviously to leave the problem alone and let
> > bogofilter eat our patches ;)
>
> Actually I think Matti will just fix the filter and all such
> problems will go away.

Yes. Ever so slowly, but eventually.

I have this Feynemanish approach on problem solving.
Gather data, think a lot, try something...

> --
> Krzysztof Halasa

/Matti Aarnio

2006-09-08 14:26:07

by Stuart MacDonald

From: Chase Venters [mailto:[email protected]]
> Indeed. Let me make one final point then. If you think this issue is
> important, you might start by asking the administrators of

I think it's important enough that LKML shouldn't be introducing new
autorespond behaviour if it can be avoided.

Quite often I play Devil's Advocate in a debate. I brought up the
point that autoresponders are often considered spam, you seemed to
take a hardline position that autoresponds are necessary and cannot
ever be removed, so I took the opposing hardline position. Makes the
debate interesting.

Personally I consider all Virus, bounce and deferral messages, that
are generated by email I did not send aka had my address forged, to be
spam. There are valid alternate methods that avoid the requirement of
sending those types of messages.

I ignore mailing list join-up confirmation messages. Those are
necessary as there's no other way to confirm an address wants to join.

I ignore the first vacation message, but if I get multiples within a
week, then I report that.

The vast majority of my spam besides actual spam are bounces. Virus
autoresponders used to be common but have stopped. I notice a
correlation between the end of virus responses and SpamCop accepting
them as spam. Mailing lists and vacation notices are very rare in
practice.

..Stu

PS. Still waiting for your snail mail address. :-)