2001-02-12 11:23:12

by Guennadi Liakhovetski

Subject: lkml subject line

Dear all (and list maintainers in particular)

Wouldn't it be a good idea to prepend all lkml subjects with [LKML] like
many other lists do to distinguish lkml messages from the rest.

Thanks
Guennadi
___

Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski
Department of Applied Mathematics
University of Sheffield, U.K.
email: [email protected]

2001-02-12 11:28:53

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: lkml subject line

[email protected] said:
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to prepend all lkml subjects with [LKML]
> like many other lists do to distinguish lkml messages from the rest.

No. There are already headers you can filter on, without adding crap to the
Subject line making it even harder to skim-read l-k than it already is.

cf. http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s3-18

--
dwmw2

2001-02-12 11:33:53

by Matti Aarnio

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:20:40AM +0000, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Dear all (and list maintainers in particular)
>
> Wouldn't it be a good idea to prepend all lkml subjects with [LKML] like
> many other lists do to distinguish lkml messages from the rest.

NO!

Have you ever seen reply-chains resulting at such schemes ?

Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] subject text

If you want to pre-filter messages traveling thru linux-kernel list,
all you need to do is to check the content of Return-Path: header.

Or perhaps my utter aborrence is due to the way how GNU MAILMAN handles
that tagging (badly, that is).

> Thanks
> Guennadi
> ___
> Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski
> email: [email protected]

/Matti Aarnio -- vger postmaster, not listmaster

2001-02-12 15:14:11

by Guest section DW

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:33:24PM +0200, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:20:40AM +0000, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > Dear all (and list maintainers in particular)
> >
> > Wouldn't it be a good idea to prepend all lkml subjects with [LKML] like
> > many other lists do to distinguish lkml messages from the rest.
>
> NO!
>
> Have you ever seen reply-chains resulting at such schemes ?
>
> Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] subject text

Matti - that is not a very good reason.

No doubt we are able to write software that prepends [FOO]
and then removes all other instances on [FOO].
Many mailing lists do precisely that.

There are advantages: distinguish personal messages from
mailing list messages, and distinguish between different
mailing lists. And disadvantages - maybe only one:
sacrificing valuable Subject: line space.

I would not be against a [LK] label.

Andries

2001-02-12 15:20:02

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> There are advantages: distinguish personal messages from mailing list
> messages, and distinguish between different mailing lists. And
> disadvantages - maybe only one: sacrificing valuable Subject: line
> space.

The advantages can all be gained without that disadvantage by just learning
to filter mail on other headers instead of the subject line.

--
dwmw2

2001-02-12 15:26:12

by Mike Harrold

> [email protected] said:
> > There are advantages: distinguish personal messages from mailing list
> > messages, and distinguish between different mailing lists. And
> > disadvantages - maybe only one: sacrificing valuable Subject: line
> > space.
>
> The advantages can all be gained without that disadvantage by just learning
> to filter mail on other headers instead of the subject line.

Assuming your mail reader can do that (and no, I can't change my mail
reader).

/Mike

2001-02-12 15:29:51

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> Assuming your mail reader can do that (and no, I can't change my mail
> reader).

The MUA is the wrong place to do that. The MDA can do it. And it's far
easier to change MDA than MUA.

--
dwmw2

2001-02-12 16:48:58

by Bruce Harada

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:25:47 -0500 (EST)
Mike Harrold <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] said:
> > The advantages can all be gained without that disadvantage by just
> learning
> > to filter mail on other headers instead of the subject line.
>
> Assuming your mail reader can do that (and no, I can't change my mail
> reader).

Use procmail, that's what it's there for (and it won't affect your mail
reader, as long as you're using something reasonably sensible). I filter
on Sender.

--
Bruce Harada

by Mike Harrold

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:25:47 -0500 (EST)
> Mike Harrold <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > [email protected] said:
> > > The advantages can all be gained without that disadvantage by just
> > learning
> > > to filter mail on other headers instead of the subject line.
> >
> > Assuming your mail reader can do that (and no, I can't change my mail
> > reader).
>
> Use procmail, that's what it's there for (and it won't affect your mail
> reader, as long as you're using something reasonably sensible). I filter
> on Sender.

Maybe I don't *want* the LKML messages in a seperate folder.
Maybe I just want to identify them at a pinch in my inbox?
Maybe my employer doesn't allow me to install additional software anyway?

/Mike

2001-02-12 17:07:38

by Lars Marowsky-Bree

On 2001-02-12T11:56:00,
Mike Harrold <[email protected]> said:

> Maybe I don't *want* the LKML messages in a seperate folder.
> Maybe I just want to identify them at a pinch in my inbox?

You can use procmail to modify the subject line of incoming mail too.

> Maybe my employer doesn't allow me to install additional software anyway?

Those would all be your problems and I would suggest using a different account
for mail then.

This discussion happens on every mailing list occasionally, and it is just a
generally bad idea, period.

Especially for a list which is as often crossposted to as lk.

Can we now move on?

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Br?e <[email protected]>

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl

2001-02-12 17:11:48

by Bruce Harada

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:56:00 -0500 (EST)
Mike Harrold <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Use procmail, that's what it's there for (and it won't affect your
> > mail
> > reader, as long as you're using something reasonably sensible). I
> > filter on Sender.
>
> Maybe I don't *want* the LKML messages in a seperate folder.
> Maybe I just want to identify them at a pinch in my inbox?
> Maybe my employer doesn't allow me to install additional software
> anyway?

So in other words, because you like to have all your incoming mail in one
big pile, and your boss is inflexible, everybody else on l-k has to do as
you say? Hm....
Anyway, I think we've cluttered the list enough for today.

--
Bruce Harada

by Mike Harrold

Subject: [LK] Re: lkml subject line

> On 2001-02-12T11:56:00,
> Mike Harrold <[email protected]> said:
>
> > Maybe I don't *want* the LKML messages in a seperate folder.
> > Maybe I just want to identify them at a pinch in my inbox?
>
> You can use procmail to modify the subject line of incoming mail too.
>
> > Maybe my employer doesn't allow me to install additional software anyway?
>
> Those would all be your problems and I would suggest using a different account
> for mail then.

Out of interest, how would that solve anything? So I use an ISP instead.
Then I have to download all my mail to home to read it. Talk about a
total waste of time.

It's hard enough tracking my mail as it is, let alone having to have another
account just to handle a certain mailing list.

> This discussion happens on every mailing list occasionally, and it is just a
> generally bad idea, period.

I disagree, and while I may be in the minority on this list, I am certainly
not in the minority across the board, given that virtually every mailing list
I am subscribed to DOES prepend a tag to the subject line.

> Especially for a list which is as often crossposted to as lk.

This I can buy. But it is, IMHO, the only valid argument against doing so.

> Can we now move on?

Of course. Wouldn't want to interrupt our regular traffic for too long :)

/Mike

2001-02-12 18:46:17

by Mohammad A. Haque

Is there a mail reader nowadays that doesn't let you do some sort of
filtering?

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Mike Harrold wrote:

> Assuming your mail reader can do that (and no, I can't change my mail
> reader).
>
> /Mike
> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Timur Tabi

** Reply to message from "Mohammad A. Haque" <[email protected]> on Mon, 12 Feb
2001 13:45:42 -0500 (EST)

> Is there a mail reader nowadays that doesn't let you do some sort of
> filtering?

Yes, and most of them are for Linux. Just go to Freshmeat and browse through
the email client section. You'll see lots of in-development email clients, and
most of them have "filtering" on the to-do list.

In fact, I was unable to find an full-featured GUI email client for Linux, so
I'm using Polarbar, which is an all-Java client.

--
Timur Tabi - [email protected]
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com

by Matthew D. Pitts