2013-02-25 14:45:18

by John W. Linville

Subject: Re: Linux summit this year ?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 06:55:01PM +0800, Matt Chen wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Sorry to bother you this moment. I am wondering if you know where the Linux
> Summit will be this year ? Will it be in NewOrleans ? Linux Plumber
> conference or Linux Conference ?
>
> Thank you. :)

Actually, I think that the LF folks may have already run out of space
in New Orleans. I was planning to enquire about Edinburgh soon...

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-02-25 21:15:17

by John W. Linville

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:34:56PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 02/25/2013 10:29 AM, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> >Hi John,

> >>Actually, I think that the LF folks may have already run out of space
> >>in New Orleans. I was planning to enquire about Edinburgh soon...
> >
> >if we would be fair, then this year should be back in North America.
> >Switching between Europe and North America seems to be a good pattern.
>
> I too would prefer New Orleans as I could attend that one and meet
> many of the fine people of linux-wireless face to face, but if space
> is gone, that does not appear to be an option.

I would still like to do New Orleans. I'm just not sure if we can
fit it in. I don't suppose that someone would like to propose it as
a mini-conference for LPC? Do we know what we want to discuss?

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-02-25 18:34:59

by Larry Finger

On 02/25/2013 10:29 AM, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>>> Sorry to bother you this moment. I am wondering if you know where the Linux
>>> Summit will be this year ? Will it be in NewOrleans ? Linux Plumber
>>> conference or Linux Conference ?
>>>
>>> Thank you. :)
>>
>> Actually, I think that the LF folks may have already run out of space
>> in New Orleans. I was planning to enquire about Edinburgh soon...
>
> if we would be fair, then this year should be back in North America.
> Switching between Europe and North America seems to be a good pattern.

I too would prefer New Orleans as I could attend that one and meet many of the
fine people of linux-wireless face to face, but if space is gone, that does not
appear to be an option.

Larry

2013-02-25 23:30:29

by John W. Linville

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 04:12:08PM -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:34:56PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
> > On 02/25/2013 10:29 AM, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > >Hi John,

> > >if we would be fair, then this year should be back in North America.
> > >Switching between Europe and North America seems to be a good pattern.
> >
> > I too would prefer New Orleans as I could attend that one and meet
> > many of the fine people of linux-wireless face to face, but if space
> > is gone, that does not appear to be an option.
>
> I would still like to do New Orleans. I'm just not sure if we can
> fit it in. I don't suppose that someone would like to propose it as
> a mini-conference for LPC? Do we know what we want to discuss?

What about the weekend before LinuxCon? Anyone opposed to that?
It will make a long week for anyone staying for LPC, but it might
be doable? I would hate to spend extra time in New Orleans... :-)

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-02-26 15:21:43

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi John,

> > >if we would be fair, then this year should be back in North America.
> > >Switching between Europe and North America seems to be a good pattern.
> >
> > I too would prefer New Orleans as I could attend that one and meet
> > many of the fine people of linux-wireless face to face, but if space
> > is gone, that does not appear to be an option.
>
> I would still like to do New Orleans. I'm just not sure if we can
> fit it in. I don't suppose that someone would like to propose it as
> a mini-conference for LPC? Do we know what we want to discuss?

I am checking with Angela right now. Lets see what we can work out. I do
believe we should have it in North America this time.

Regards

Marcel

2013-02-25 16:29:59

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi John,

> > Sorry to bother you this moment. I am wondering if you know where the Linux
> > Summit will be this year ? Will it be in NewOrleans ? Linux Plumber
> > conference or Linux Conference ?
> >
> > Thank you. :)
>
> Actually, I think that the LF folks may have already run out of space
> in New Orleans. I was planning to enquire about Edinburgh soon...

if we would be fair, then this year should be back in North America.
Switching between Europe and North America seems to be a good pattern.

Regards

Marcel

2013-03-04 15:54:00

by Johannes Berg

On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 16:12 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:

> I would still like to do New Orleans. I'm just not sure if we can
> fit it in. I don't suppose that someone would like to propose it as
> a mini-conference for LPC? Do we know what we want to discuss?

I think there's a large topic of discussion around multi-channel
management, i.e. how in particular wpa_supplicant should behave. We have
the low-level feature implemented, but no real strategy for its use
across the stack. We have some thoughts, use-cases etc. so this will
probably have to be done before the summit though.

johannes

2013-05-03 01:06:13

by John W. Linville

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 09:27:11PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 07:21 -0800, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>
> > > I would still like to do New Orleans. I'm just not sure if we can
> > > fit it in. I don't suppose that someone would like to propose it as
> > > a mini-conference for LPC? Do we know what we want to discuss?
> >
> > I am checking with Angela right now. Lets see what we can work out. I do
> > believe we should have it in North America this time.
>
> Any results on that?
>
> I was looking into things and the Graphics & Display uconf
> (http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:graphics_and_display) is
> proposing to talk about wireless display technologies, so it might be a
> really good thing to combine forces with them for some parts.
>
> IOW I think we should do New Orleans, if only for that combination.

Angela says:

"I'm confirming that we got the space you needed for the Wireless Summit in
New Orleans. To confirm, we have one main meeting room on Thurs, Sept 19th
& Fri, Sept 20th (overlapping Plumbers) and two smaller rooms that can hold
up to 30ppl if need be (but are better off for 5-15).

Please confirm this is good to go and let Stephanie know of anything you
need in the rooms (AV etc).

I assume you'll be keeping your own registration list unless I hear
otherwise."

Does that sound alright to everyone? What do we need other than a projector?

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-05-05 12:26:47

by John W. Linville

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 11:28:29PM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:

> >>I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
> >>would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
> >>Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
> >>be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
> >>LPC sessions).
> >
> >That's what I figured, would just be good to announce it (you're going
> >to send an invitation email once plans are finalized, right? :) )
> >
> >>Alternatively, probably we could have a separate Wireless Summit
> >>registration -- not sure what that will cost, but it probably won't
> >>be zero.
> >
> >That seems far too much overhead, and people who are there likely want
> >to attend some other sessions anyway.
> >
> >>Probably can have an easel w/ a big note pad
> >
> >Sure, that's almost equivalent and much easier I guess. No need to
> >inquire otherwise.
>
> So the wl summit is going to be in North-America this year? I was
> setting my hopes on Edinburgh.

The event traditionally switches between Europe and North America.
New Orleans was only in question because of a lack of space, but that
now seems to be resolved.

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-05-02 19:27:30

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 07:21 -0800, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> > I would still like to do New Orleans. I'm just not sure if we can
> > fit it in. I don't suppose that someone would like to propose it as
> > a mini-conference for LPC? Do we know what we want to discuss?
>
> I am checking with Angela right now. Lets see what we can work out. I do
> believe we should have it in North America this time.

Any results on that?

I was looking into things and the Graphics & Display uconf
(http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2013:graphics_and_display) is
proposing to talk about wireless display technologies, so it might be a
really good thing to combine forces with them for some parts.

IOW I think we should do New Orleans, if only for that combination.

johannes

2013-05-07 18:30:05

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Seth,

>>> Sounds good to me. If it overlaps LPC, which one are people going to
>>> have to register for (if not going to both anyway)?
>>
>> I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
>> would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
>> Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
>> be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
>> LPC sessions).
>
> Why require LinuxCon registration rather than LPC? I'd assume most
> wireless summit attendees are more interested in plumbers than LinuxCon.
> Could the summit just require registration at one or the other?

the LinuxCon is providing the space for us and not the PlumbersConf. So registration to LinuxCon is what is required here. Otherwise we would have to figure out on how to pay for the space and everything around it by ourselves.

I don't think that the LinuxCon registration fee will be a big problem for anyone working for a company. And if you give a talk at LinuxCon, you can get free access to the Wireless Summit as well. That said, if we have students or other people with limited funds wanting to attend the Wireless Summit, please email John and myself privately and we can try to figure something out.

Regards

Marcel

2013-05-08 15:09:54

by John W. Linville

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 01:44:45PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 11:42:36AM -0500, Seth Forshee wrote:

> > > I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
> > > would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
> > > Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
> > > be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
> > > LPC sessions).
> >
> > Why require LinuxCon registration rather than LPC? I'd assume most
> > wireless summit attendees are more interested in plumbers than LinuxCon.
> > Could the summit just require registration at one or the other?
>
> Well, I can ask. But the fact is that LPC and LCNA are separate
> events with separate events with separate budgets and expenses,
> separate organizers, etc.
>
> Anyway, I'll let you know what the event folks say...

Angela says:

"Yes, they can either register for LPC or LinuxCon/CloudOpen."

Hth!

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-05-07 16:42:49

by Seth Forshee

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 10:49:47AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 10:11:10AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 15:43 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> >
> > > "I'm confirming that we got the space you needed for the Wireless Summit in
> > > New Orleans.
> >
> > > Does that sound alright to everyone?
> >
> > Sounds good to me. If it overlaps LPC, which one are people going to
> > have to register for (if not going to both anyway)?
>
> I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
> would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
> Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
> be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
> LPC sessions).

Why require LinuxCon registration rather than LPC? I'd assume most
wireless summit attendees are more interested in plumbers than LinuxCon.
Could the summit just require registration at one or the other?

2013-05-03 14:50:17

by John W. Linville

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 10:11:10AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 15:43 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>
> > "I'm confirming that we got the space you needed for the Wireless Summit in
> > New Orleans.
>
> > Does that sound alright to everyone?
>
> Sounds good to me. If it overlaps LPC, which one are people going to
> have to register for (if not going to both anyway)?

I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
LPC sessions).

Alternatively, probably we could have a separate Wireless Summit
registration -- not sure what that will cost, but it probably won't
be zero.

> > What do we need other than a projector?
>
> A big whiteboard might be nice for some things, if easily available? Not
> critical though, obviously.

Probably can have an easel w/ a big note pad -- I can ask about the
whiteboard, of course.

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2013-05-04 21:28:44

by Arend van Spriel

On 05/03/2013 04:52 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-03 at 10:49 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>
>>> Sounds good to me. If it overlaps LPC, which one are people going to
>>> have to register for (if not going to both anyway)?
>>
>> I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
>> would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
>> Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
>> be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
>> LPC sessions).
>
> That's what I figured, would just be good to announce it (you're going
> to send an invitation email once plans are finalized, right? :) )
>
>> Alternatively, probably we could have a separate Wireless Summit
>> registration -- not sure what that will cost, but it probably won't
>> be zero.
>
> That seems far too much overhead, and people who are there likely want
> to attend some other sessions anyway.
>
>> Probably can have an easel w/ a big note pad
>
> Sure, that's almost equivalent and much easier I guess. No need to
> inquire otherwise.

So the wl summit is going to be in North-America this year? I was
setting my hopes on Edinburgh.

Gr. AvS

2013-05-03 14:53:20

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2013-05-03 at 10:49 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> > Sounds good to me. If it overlaps LPC, which one are people going to
> > have to register for (if not going to both anyway)?
>
> I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
> would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
> Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
> be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
> LPC sessions).

That's what I figured, would just be good to announce it (you're going
to send an invitation email once plans are finalized, right? :) )

> Alternatively, probably we could have a separate Wireless Summit
> registration -- not sure what that will cost, but it probably won't
> be zero.

That seems far too much overhead, and people who are there likely want
to attend some other sessions anyway.

> Probably can have an easel w/ a big note pad

Sure, that's almost equivalent and much easier I guess. No need to
inquire otherwise.

johannes

2013-05-03 08:11:30

by Johannes Berg

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 15:43 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> "I'm confirming that we got the space you needed for the Wireless Summit in
> New Orleans.

> Does that sound alright to everyone?

Sounds good to me. If it overlaps LPC, which one are people going to
have to register for (if not going to both anyway)?

> What do we need other than a projector?

A big whiteboard might be nice for some things, if easily available? Not
critical though, obviously.

johannes

2013-05-08 13:20:41

by Seth Forshee

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 01:44:45PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 11:42:36AM -0500, Seth Forshee wrote:

> > > I would presume that if you want to got to LPC sessions then you
> > > would have to register for LPC. Generally we have required Wireless
> > > Summit attendees to register for LinuxCon, and I presume that would
> > > be required this time (so both LinuxCon and LPC if you want the
> > > LPC sessions).
> >
> > Why require LinuxCon registration rather than LPC? I'd assume most
> > wireless summit attendees are more interested in plumbers than LinuxCon.
> > Could the summit just require registration at one or the other?
>
> Well, I can ask. But the fact is that LPC and LCNA are separate
> events with separate events with separate budgets and expenses,
> separate organizers, etc.
>
> Anyway, I'll let you know what the event folks say...

It's not really a big deal for me, I just thought it a bit odd since the
audiences for wireless summit and LPC probably have more overlap. The
reasons you and Marcel gave make sense.

Thanks,
Seth

2013-05-08 12:54:13