2007-04-04 20:11:49

by Michael Büsch

Subject: OpenBSD bcw: Possible GPL license violation issues

I, Michael Buesch, am one of the maintainers of the GPL'd Linux
wireless LAN driver for the Broadcom chip (bcm43xx).
The Copyright holders of bcm43xx (which includes me) want to talk
to you, OpenBSD bcw developers, about possible GPL license and therefore
Copyright violations in your bcw driver.

We believe that you might have directly copied code
out of bcm43xx (licensed under GPL v2), without our explicit permission,
into bcw (licensed under BSD license).
There are implementation details in bcm43xx that appear exactly
the same in bcw. These implementation details clearly don't come
from the open specifications at bcm-specs.sipsolutions.net
or bcm-v4.sipsolutions.net.

We have always made and still make a great effort to keep our code clean
of any Copyright issues (cleanroom design). Please make sure you also do.

A few examples follow of what we think might be GPL violations.
This list is far from being complete.

BCW_PHY_STACKSAVE()
BCW_ILT_STACKSAVE()
bcw_stack_save()
bcw_stack_restore()
These functions are a possible implementation of the specs when
they say "backup/restore a value".
Yet, it looks like you had exactly the same idea implementing this
generic description that I had.

bcw_set_opmode()
This function does not appear in the specifications.
I think Jiri Benc wrote it initially (and gave it its name) and
I extended it.

bcw_leds_switch_all()
is not in the specs, but a pure implementation detail of bcm43xx.

bcw_sprom_read()
This is obviously copied. Even the error message string is similiar.

bcw_phy_calc_loopback_gain()
I think it's no coincidence that you also decided to name the backup
variables like
uint16_t backup_phy[15];
uint16_t backup_radio[3];
uint16_t backup_bband;

bcw_phy_init_pctl()
uint16_t saved_batt = 0, saved_ratt = 0, saved_txctl1 = 0;
int must_reset_txpower = 0;

bcw_phy_xmitpower()
Attenuation adjustment algorithms (while loops).

bcw_phy_lo_g_state()
This exactly matches bcm43xx, although the specs only have an abstract
description and diagram of the state machine.

bcw_phy_lo_g_deviation_subval()
/* XXX bcm43xx_voluntary_preempt() ? */
Nice comment there.
You might want to grep bcw for the string "bcm43xx"
and you will find more of them.

... and all the rest.

We'd like to have this issue resolved.
In general we are not against having a free (and BSD licensed) driver
in the BSD operating system. But you _have_ to cooperate with us if you'd
like to take our code and relicense it under BSD license. We intentionally
put the code under GPL license. We did _not_ do this, because "everybody
does this". We did this, among other reasons, because we
[citing Michael, Mon, 26 Dec 2005 13:03:44 +0100]
"don't think we should allow proprietary vendors to take our code
and close it again."

[citing Michael, Date unknown]
"What if Broadcom decides to take our LO measure state machine and
put it into the original driver? (The Rev Engineers told me they have
a very different weird solution for this in their code).
I really don't want to see this happen."

We'd like to offer you to start cooperating with us.
We respect you and your Copyright. You should also do so on our work.

We would not be opposed to relicensing parts of our code under the BSD
license on an explicit case-by-case base.
So if you ask "May I use this and that function" and if I own the
Copyright on that particular function, I will approve or deny your request.
Other Copyright holders of the bcm43xx code might act the same way.

We're not out for blood, just for a fair resolution.
We'd like you to start contacting us to resolve the issue now.

Have a nice day.

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-04-05 18:45:26

by Theo de Raadt

Again, your assumption is that he did it on purpose, and thus, you
are calling him a thief.

> > > There was no deal with you!
> >
> > I don't understand this sentence of yours.
>
> There was no agreement with you to use my code.
>
> > Do you make deals with companies?
>
> Not yet. Maybe in future. Who knows...
>
> > Do you do those deals publically?
>
> That depends on what the company does.
> If the company illegally distributes my code to the public,
> I _will_ contact them in public as well.
>
> If they contact me in private _before_ distributing the code,
> I will respond in private.
>
> The exact same thing would have been true for you.
> But you did _not_ do any effort to contact me before distributing
> my code.
>
> > What are you saying?
> >
> > Was Marcus suppose do to have some sort of deal with you?
>
> The deal was: He asks for relicensing-permission on
> a particular faction of my code and I ACK or deny it.
>
> I explained the exact deal more than once.
>
> --
> Greetings Michael.

2007-04-05 16:43:33

by Michael Büsch

On Thursday 05 April 2007 02:29, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > Who is mean here? Again, we aren't out for blood. I don't care for who is
> > mean here. But if you do, you should be a bit more careful before insulting
> > people.
>
> OH i get it. I'm insulting you, but you guys are not mean by taking it
> widely public. No private mail received anyone.

I'm sorry. This GPL violation is too obvious.
Compare the code. Many functions are 1:1 copied. The author of
bcw can't tell me that he did not intentionally violate the GPL
and our copyright.

> If Marcus Glocker just gives up now, and aborts his efforts, I would
> not be surprised. I'd be a bit dissapointed but then it is just the
> increasingly rare Broadcom chipset.

Marcus Glocker is free to contact us to get a clean relicensing
agreement on the code. I wrote that in the first mail.

> If he quit, I would understand his position completely, based on the
> first contact with him about this issue BEING A PUBLIC DRAG THROUGH
> THE MUD BY YOU GUYS.

Your code is public. We respond in your public GPL violation in
a public mail.

> This infighting between two teams trying to support the same chipset
> is a complete mockery of the publicness of the original reverse
> engineering effort. My guess is that Michael is thinking very
> carefully about whether starting the discussion in public was the
> right thing to do, but I am very sure that Stefano jumping in to lob a
> second volley of mud helps noone's cause, especially Michael's cause.
> Stefano, if you want this resolved nicely, I suggest you think before
> you send more mail.

Please don't attack Stefano. This leads to nothing.
He is also a copyright holder of large amounts of bcm43xx code.

> > Maintaining whitespace and variable names.
>
> Copyrighted whitespaces and variable names, you mean, right?

We are not talking about variable names of whitespaces.
We are talking about copied code and algorithms.
The examples I brought were just examples.

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-04-05 18:52:06

by Theo de Raadt

> On Thursday 05 April 2007 20:32, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > Or are you now going to say that all the functions he
> > is using are OK to use?
>
> No!
> I decide this on a case-by-case base as you OpenBSD guys contact
> me and ask "Is it OK to you to use this particular fraction of code...".
> I wrote that in the very first mail.

He did NOT mail you, because he did not know he had made a mistake.

Again, you are assuming he did not make a mistake, and you are thus
calling him a thief.

> > No, you wanted him to come begging,
>
> I want you to respect my copyright. Fullstop.

No, your message offered that he can come begging, because that is the
best that thieves may do.

Come little dog, come beg for forgiveness.

You are a very poor example of humankind.

2007-04-05 19:21:19

by Jeff Garzik

Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Instead, now, another Open Source developer has quit.

"I am going to take my toys and go home" is an immature, childish
response to an adult problem.

> You're no big man. You're main characteristic is 'bully'.

Pot. Kettle. Etc.

Jeff

2007-04-05 21:27:17

by Michael Büsch

On Thursday 05 April 2007 22:56, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> It makes me happy to show that I have empathy for a situation where
> someone who puts hundreds of hours of work in as a hobby, and to
> defend that person. It makes me extremely unhappy that I have to do
> so, and that some other people think this is a non-event.

We put THOUSANDS of hours of work into bcm43xx and you
simply relicense it without permission. Your point being?

> > > <rest deleted, because the above line is so important>
> >
> > Snipped? I presume, then, you admit you are misrepresenting others'
> > opinions in this thread.
>
> No, there was a side discussion about whitespace and variable naming,
> and even algorithms covered by the GPL. Gimme a break. These were
> essentially claimed by some of the examples shown by Michael. Go look
> carefully.

You simply don't get it. These were EXAMPLES of why we think the
code was copied 1:1. This has NOTHING to do with copyright law
at this point. It simply shows: "Oh look, you named that variable
or that function exactly like I did, although the specs did not
suggest naming. Unlikely to be so by coincidence."

> That said, there were more real issues, and those have been dealt with
> in a reply from Marcus, plus the driver now being deleted.

I want to point out again that I _never_ made it a requirement
to delete the driver. I offered ways to handle it by going through
the code and judging on a case-by-case base of what can stay and
what has to be rewritten by you.

> The Italian dude in particular was complaining bitterly in private
> mail about the whitespace similarities... good grief, not whitespace
> similarities. How SCO of him.

Yeah. Must be coincidence that you typed whitespace exactly like
we did. I'm sure this didn't come from copying, but from coincidence.

[Irony may be found in the mail above]

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-04-04 22:37:16

by Johannes Berg

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 16:22 -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> > "What if Broadcom decides to take our LO measure state machine and
> > put it into the original driver? (The Rev Engineers told me they have
> > a very different weird solution for this in their code).
> > I really don't want to see this happen."
>
> For the record, I want to warn you that you CANNOT COPYRIGHT
> A STATE MACHINE, which is what the above sentence implies.

That was in a different discussion, quoted out of context. Another part
of Michael's email gives some context:

> bcw_phy_lo_g_state()
> This exactly matches bcm43xx, although the specs only have an abstract
> description and diagram of the state machine.

Hence, it'd be only fair to say that he did, in fact, talk about the
expression/implementation of the state machine.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-04-06 09:15:07

by Michael Büsch

On Friday 06 April 2007 11:04, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> > I don't think he intentionally did it.
>
> Ok, so it was only the commit that was perhaps accidental, it does mean
> that he should be more carefull about what he is exactly committing.

We should not confuse that it was not "the commit", but the code has
been committed in several commits. (I didn't count them)
A mistake several times in a row? Isn't that unlikely to be a mistake them?

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-04-05 19:50:07

by Theo de Raadt

> > You refuse to accept it was an accident. Therefore we refuse to
> > accept that your public posting was an accident.
>
> Both exactly right.

You purposely set out to humiliate him.

> I never said I wanted the driver to be deleted. Re-read the whole
> thread please. But switch your "turn the meaning of sentences over" device
> off first, please.

Your fancy words left him no choice.

> > Jason Dixon is a liar because he doubts something? How can he be a
>
> This sentence is the prove that you don't read mails exactly before
> replying. Jason did not "doubt something". He wrote [citing]:
> "there is NO DOUBT that they would have notified a corporation privately"
>
> Note the capitalized words.
>
> This is a plain lie. There is no special exception from me to companies.
> I already said that in another mail.

There is no doubt in my mind either that you would treat a company
better than you treated Marcus.

Especially after you just saw what happened when you treat someone
like this.

My guess is you learned an important lesson, but just don't have
the balls to admit it.

2007-04-06 00:02:44

by Michael Büsch

On Friday 06 April 2007 01:51, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Please get your developers off our mailing list, attacking our users
> with one liners. Or should I perhaps just add a cc to misc in future
> mails?
>
> ---
> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:14:59 -0300
> From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s_Delfino?=" <[email protected]>

I don't know who [email protected] is.

--
Greetings Michael.

2007-04-05 21:21:56

by David Miller

From: Theo de Raadt <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:56:29 -0600

> > Snipped? I presume, then, you admit you are misrepresenting others'
> > opinions in this thread.
>
> No, there was a side discussion about whitespace and variable naming,
> and even algorithms covered by the GPL. Gimme a break. These were
> essentially claimed by some of the examples shown by Michael. Go look
> carefully.

The main aim right now for you is to deflect as much attention as
possible away from the fact that someone was caught red handed putting
GPL'd code into a BSD driver.

That is why you keep harping back to the issue about Michael's
approach to dealing with this.

I understand why you might want to do damage control like this.

There is also no way one can directly copy GPL'd code into a BSD
driver, check it into a CVS tree, and have no idea what in the world
one is doing. I don't believe that argument for one second.

A developer working on a BSD driver for 6 months is oblivious to the
fact that copying in some GPL'd code might not be a good idea? Give
me a break.

There have been some very clever methods employed here in this thread
to control the path of a conversation. For example, you knew that if
you gave the full URL for the Empathy article at Wikipedia, nobody
would click on it and read it. Yet you used a tinyurl, and this had
the psychological effect of making nearly everyone reading curious
what the tinyurl pointed to, and they clicked it. You even got me
with that one.

2007-04-05 19:16:09

by Theo de Raadt

> I won't reply to your mail anymore, as you are not interrested
> in a real solution to this. Instead you write things like that:
>
> On Thursday 05 April 2007 20:48, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > You are a very poor example of humankind.
>
> Which has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of
> copyright and GPL violation.

You're right. This whole thing has absolutely nothing to do with the
GPL. The entire issue has to do with your approach towards solving
problems.

An approach which has shown that it just plain does not get the
results that you, we, or anyone in the community benefits from.

> I could say similiar things to you, but I don't.
> I wrote the initial mail to get the issue resolved, but
> not insult you.

You wrote the initial mail in PUBLIC rather than in PRIVATE,
and you did not get the result you wanted.

> Yet, you think it's my turn to be "human" and so on.
> But why did _you_ not be human and asked before using
> our stuff? Ah, I know, it was a mistake...
> At least in your opinion.

If you won't accept that Marcus made a mistake, why should anyone
assume that you didn't made a mistake with your public posting?

You purposely attacked Marcus in public, for some strange reason.
You did not do it to defend your license, because a private mail
would have fixed the problem and you would have basically had
your name attached in a nice way for the fact that Marcus had looked
at your code.

Instead, now, another Open Source developer has quit.

You're no big man. You're main characteristic is 'bully'.

2007-04-05 23:54:13

by Theo de Raadt